U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 12:42 PM

6,066 posts, read 9,351,017 times

Advertisements

We never bought boots for ourselves or our children here. That was one of the benefits of moving here. We moved from the snow capital of Rochester, NY, though.

The tips here have been very good, especially buying the bigger coats for kids to last two seasons, and to buy the jackets with removable fleece lining.

As an adult, I need only a leather jacket, a long scarf, and a pair of $1 gloves in my pocket. I rarely use the gloves. The only time I wear a hat is in the summer to ward off the sun. If I'm really cold in the winter, I'll wrap the long scarf around my head. If it's good enough for Grace Kelly, it's good enough for me: http://www.dressingvintage.com/images/scarf-grace-color.jpg

I used to always buy down jackets/coats up North, but they are totally unnecessary here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 01:08 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,837,920 times
You ask a Great question! Most don't really think about it!

I find that the northeast fall clothes are perfect for winter here - so that means long sleeved but reasonably lightweight material, jeans or dockers and a sweater or hoodie sweatshirt jacket is what my son wears most of the time. My daughter is wearing jeans, one or two long sleeved (but lightweight) tops and has a light jacket on hand. That is for indoor wearing.

For outdoors - we have a lightweight jacket with a windbreaker lining - I find fleece doesn't necessarily cut out the wind so you can get chilled. But something that is lined and/or has that windbreaker outer coating, and you can get away with just wearing that to the car and back. My big buy each year - or every several years - is a rain jacket - b/c the schools here are connected by breezeways (???) so the kids are walking outside? in the rain/snow as well as the nicer weather. We get more year-round use of our rain jackets than anything else really.

Boys tend to wear shorts 9-10 mos of the year. Which is amazingly nice during their growth spurts. They can wear shorts a lot longer than growing out of pants!

best of luck!

Old 12-01-2010, 08:42 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,989,304 times
I love a puffy vest--with a long-sleeve t-shirt, it's great for late fall when it starts to get chilly, and with a heavy sweater or fleece underneath, it carries us through all but the coldest of days--and my son is more comfortable playing outside in a vest than a bulky coat. i wouldn't buy heavy boots unless i scored some on consignment.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:27 AM

9,125 posts, read 10,699,724 times
I think coming from AZ you will find you need heavy coats for the winter months.

We moved here from NY and I'm curious what's going to happen over the winter. My one son hates to wear pants and even in NY would try to wear shorts to school in the dead of winter. NEVER wears long sleeved shirts and hates a heavy coat. Actually we all hate heavy coats and since we rarely wore them in NY I got rid of them before the move. But I can already tell I'm getting used to the weather here. I was freezing on Sunday when it was 50 degrees! That's a warm day at this time of year in NY.

Personally I wouldn't waste money on boots - a total waste for how much they cost vs. how much you'll get out of them. Even in NY my kids went sledding this year in their sneakers. I'd opt for snow pants over boots because they can grow with the child (adjustable bib straps) and they can be tucked into shoes for sledding. I also like those $1 gloves Lovebrentwood mentioned - no worries if they get lost and easier to move fingers around.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:51 AM

68 posts, read 81,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
If your kids will only be playing inside, or if they will only experience the cold by walking from the car across a parking lot to a store, then you can get by without the heavy coat, rubber boots, gloves, and hat.

However, if it snows (good chance that it will snow at least once each winter) and you don't have those items on hand, thereby depriving your children from going out to play in the snow for the first time in their lives, you will not only feel guilty, but you will also suffer their wrath
I think if you ask them, I am the worlds meanest mother...and so this would be completely in line with the evilness that is me.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:54 AM

68 posts, read 81,532 times
Lots of great tips and advice. It gives me someplace to start.....and I can fill in the rest as the weather dictates. NOW----my high school age daughter asked me last night, "what kind of shoes do they wear in the winter?" Not sure what is fashionable and weather appropriate for teen girls. I suggested Ugg type boots...since they will keep her feet warm and its probably not going to be all that wet, unless she treks through water puddles. what do you think? what do the girls wear on their feet when the weather gets cold?

Old 12-01-2010, 11:12 AM

477 posts, read 798,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinorbit View Post
Lots of great tips and advice. It gives me someplace to start.....and I can fill in the rest as the weather dictates. NOW----my high school age daughter asked me last night, "what kind of shoes do they wear in the winter?" Not sure what is fashionable and weather appropriate for teen girls. I suggested Ugg type boots...since they will keep her feet warm and its probably not going to be all that wet, unless she treks through water puddles. what do you think? what do the girls wear on their feet when the weather gets cold?
Definitely Uggs. It's the uniform for girls in high school here, lol! Lately, they've been wearing them with Nike shorts on semi-warm days!

Old 12-01-2010, 11:33 AM

393 posts, read 772,473 times
For your teenager, Uggs, definitely.

For the littles ones, you will need a variety of items. I find that shopping at kids' consignment stores/sales is great - I can get relatively new, practically unworn jackets, sweaters, jeans, etc for a fraction of what they normally cost. Most of the items I purchase this way are actually brand new (i.e. Levis, Gap, etc).

Good luck!

Old 12-01-2010, 04:39 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,177,444 times
We get some of everything here. We could be 10 degrees one day, 40 the next. Best to always watch the weather for day ahead. Layering is good, sweater & medium jacket. I work inside and outside. I keep a vest, medium jacket, gloves, cap and toboggan in the truck all winter. I grab out what I need for the moment. A kid would do well to keep gloves in a backpack and a sweater. Or keep an extra garment in locker. We can also have cold mornings and mild afternoons, so some days you have to carry what you wore this morning. How much time in/out matters too. If they only go house to car, car to school, they won't need as much as if they walk to school or have outdoor recess time.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:45 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,177,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think coming from AZ you will find you need heavy coats for the winter months.

We moved here from NY and I'm curious what's going to happen over the winter. My one son hates to wear pants and even in NY would try to wear shorts to school in the dead of winter. NEVER wears long sleeved shirts and hates a heavy coat. Actually we all hate heavy coats and since we rarely wore them in NY I got rid of them before the move. But I can already tell I'm getting used to the weather here. I was freezing on Sunday when it was 50 degrees! That's a warm day at this time of year in NY.

Personally I wouldn't waste money on boots - a total waste for how much they cost vs. how much you'll get out of them. Even in NY my kids went sledding this year in their sneakers. I'd opt for snow pants over boots because they can grow with the child (adjustable bib straps) and they can be tucked into shoes for sledding. I also like those $1 gloves Lovebrentwood mentioned - no worries if they get lost and easier to move fingers around.
We had neighbors who moved here from upstate NY the year we had 24 inches of snow! The dad was embarrassed as he came over to borrow a snow shovel. Said they left them back home, didn't think they would need them here. I told him they may go 2-3 years here not needing it, but then we have the unexpected. Our only constant here is our long hot summers. They are always a sure bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary