U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,302 times

Advertisements

Is this neighborhood more for families?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 09:39 PM

3,021 posts, read 7,637,786 times
JMack, I wouldn't be surprised if most houses here in Woodcroft contain families with kids, but there is a bit of a mix. For example, my husband and I don't have children & we're happy here. Same goes for the retired couple who live next door to us. Across the street lives a single guy in his 30s who works from home. So that's 3 houses on our cul de sac without children, but most of our neighbors have kids - ranging in age from toddlers to teenagers.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:29 PM

676 posts, read 719,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyhillgal View Post
Might anyone be willing to post some pictures of Woodcroft, in Durham?

My husband and I will soon be relocating from NH. So far, we've taken one trip down, looking at communities and neighborhoods with a realtor. Our visit was heavily concentrated on Cary and my husband became very taken with Amberly...to the extent that it will be hard for him to look elsewhere for comparison purposes. I am concerned that Amberly, and other of Cary's developments, are being marketed primarily to transplants coming in equity and are perhaps artificially inflated in price. The right comparison to me is not what the same house would cost in NE, CA or FL, but how it compares to the Raleigh Metro market.

I have been monitoring this board since January and have noted many wonderful things about Woodcroft. It appears to meet most, if not all, of our criteria:

- Very close proximity to the southern tip of the RTP
-Recreational facilities within walking distance
-Sense of community
-Within decent driving distance to the universities.

Plus, it has the added bonus of lush, mature landscaping!

However, when I shared Woodcroft's web page with my husband he complained at the lack of pictures of the community. Might any of you have pictures to share so I can convince my husband to at least take a look?

Thanks!
Not sure if you are still in the market for a home, but here is advice from someone who moved from Woodcroft to Amberly about 1.5 years ago. We outgrew our Woodcroft home (it was the pale green one in the pictures previously posted), had children starting school and were looking for a change as had lived in Durham for awhile. We left for a new, larger house with a more modern/open floor plan, usable backyard, promise of better schools and NO SNAKES. So far have been very happy with the move - although sometimes I long for the shaded pathways of Woodcroft.

Woodcroft home was 20 years old and in need of some major repair work - furnace, roof, AC, masonite siding always rotting, single pane windows needing to be re-painted every year. We had a few 6+ foot black snakes which liked to sun themselves on our front porch, pine needles everywhere - especially when the wind blew and a steep driveway just screaming for skinned knees.

Amberly home is new, has a usable backyard (.25 acre lot), no snakes, no masonite, lots of kids of similar ages (perhaps too many as our little subdivision within Amberly could fill up its own bus), absolutely amazing ameneties center with Disney like kids pool and indoor basketball courts, sidewalks everywhere, grocery store about to open up, couple of lakes to walk around. Albeit, much more expensive than Woodcroft.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Albeit, much more expensive than Woodcroft.
And that, sir, is a major difference. People who are shopping in Woodcroft generally cannot afford homes in Amberly.

Sorry to hear you had issues with snakes. I can see how that would be unnerving! As for us, we have not seen a single snake and our neighbors don't have issues with snakes either. As for our yard, I will admit that we don't have much of one because our lot is chock full of trees! That suits us fine because we don't have children and we adore our wooded view. Our neighbors who have kids also happen to have back yards with far fewer trees, so it seems there's a little something for everyone. Some of the lots can be very steep (just look for the walk-out basements on some of the homes in the community), but there are flatter lots if you keep looking. It's all a matter of setting your priorities.

I certainly agree with you on the age of the homes. No doubt about it - most homes in Woodcroft are around 20 years old. That means it's time for them to have some major systems replaced. If you find a home that has been well maintained, you may find that a lot of that work has already been done for you. But houses like that go FAST!

Old 01-04-2008, 11:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,501 times
I just came across these pics of the Woodcroft area and my husband & I love it. We are moving from Utah to the Raleigh-Durham area and this is exactly the kind of area we had in mind. If you don't mind, could you possibly tell me what the price ranges of the houses are in the area, what kind of lot sizes are available, and is there a lot of community events in the area. Also, we have kids, so any insight into the school system would be great. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOVINGFROMUTTONC View Post
I just came across these pics of the Woodcroft area and my husband & I love it. We are moving from Utah to the Raleigh-Durham area and this is exactly the kind of area we had in mind. If you don't mind, could you possibly tell me what the price ranges of the houses are in the area, what kind of lot sizes are available, and is there a lot of community events in the area. Also, we have kids, so any insight into the school system would be great. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Well, I'm no expert, but I can try to help.

I went to the Fonville Morisey website & checked out what homes are currently for sale in Woodcroft. According to their property search, there are currently 18 detached, single family homes for sale. Townhomes and condos are also available.

The largest home currently on the market here is asking for $314,900. 3362 sq ft, 4 bedrooms, 3&1/2 baths, .332 acres. There's another home asking for $319K that is a bit smaller, but it's on a larger lot (.548 acres). The smallest detached home currently on the market here is asking for $164,900. 1115 sq ft, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, .229 acres.

According to the info I posted on the first page of this thread, the average price for a detached home in Woodcroft is around $220K. There's just one house that closely matches that price that is currently on the market & it is asking for $219K. It has 2106 sq ft, 4 bedrooms, 2&1/2 baths, & located on .76 acres. That lot size is pretty large, though. I imagine that most properties in Woodcroft are on lots of about 1/3 of an acre.

As for community events, the Woodcroft Club has multiple events every month of the year. You have to pay to join, though. There's more info about that on the first page of this thread.

As I stated previously, I don't have children so I don't feel qualified to make specific comments on the schools. The high school currently assigned to Woodcroft, Hillside, is one of the rougher ones in Durham, but I hear that the public school system is very flexible & will allow students to attend different schools (check with the school system for details). Jordan High School, which is very well respected, is closer to Woodcroft than Githens anyway, so you'd have a good argument. Since this part of Durham is growing rapidly, I would not be at all surprised if a new high school was built here within the next decade. But that's just my opinion.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:44 AM

10,419 posts, read 18,101,033 times
I actually had someone call me from Woodcroft about 2 years ago to sell his house. However, the house isn't in the best shape and its under 20 years old. I think the only problem with the neighborhood is that some of the people just didn't keep up their homes. I'm STILL WAITING for this guy to get his place cleaned up so we can put it on the market. I've been to the neighborhood quite a few times. Its one of the nicest areas and there are always people walking around the lake and pushing strollers. And...its only about 2 miles from Southpoint Mall!

Vicki

Old 01-05-2008, 09:48 AM

9,091 posts, read 18,920,818 times
I have woodcroft on my radar if my wife and I decide to move closer to the west side of the triangle a few years down the road. I need to get over there to check it out, but from what I have seen online and read about it, it seems like a great option.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:48 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,967,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisatunc View Post
I'm 28 and I grew up in woodcroft (1987 - 1991, then 1993 - 1995). My mom moved back to woodcroft last year (as an owner this time) after her street in Parkwood started going down hill. She bought her 2- or 3br-2BA house (on the tiny side, floorplan-wise) for $169k.
(
Really enjoyed your post and the fond memories you have of growing up in Woodcroft. I'm wondering what street your mom live on in Parkwood as I live in that subdivision. For the most part it's well kept here, but the houses are older (from the '60's) and if they haven't been powerlifted will usually need it at some point in time due to the intense amount of clay and sand and the builders not going down deep enough with the foundations.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-08-2008, 11:26 AM

Yesterday a realtor left some information on our door about some of the home sales in Woodcroft during 2007. I found it pretty interesting, so I thought I'd share some of the details.

Note that this information only applies to the Fortunes Ridge section of Woodcroft. Some of the other neighborhoods within the Woodcroft community have larger homes & some smaller, so their statistics will be different.

This information is based on 32 homes that sold in the Fortunes Ridge section of Woodcroft from January to December 2007.
  • Averages: 1654 sq ft, 3 bedrooms, 2&1/2 baths, $201,333, $122 per sq ft (lot size does not appear on the graph, but 1/4 to 1/3 of an acre is typical)
  • Largest home sold: 2266 sq ft, 4 beds, 2&1/2 baths
  • Smallest home sold: 1235 sq ft, but based on the address I suspect this may be a typo. 1440 sq ft is the next smallest size sold (3beds, 2&1/2 baths)
  • Selling prices range between 95% of list price to 102% of list price.
  • The most expensive home sold for $232,000 (2260 sq ft, 3 beds, 2&1/2 baths).
  • The least expensive home sold for $149,000 (1440 sq ft, 3 beds, 2&1/2 baths) BUT the price of this house is unusually low. It was a foreclosure that used to be owned by a dog breeder and needed a LOT of work. The new owners have done a good job renovating it and it looks 100% better now.
  • Of the 32 homes, 15 of them sold in 30 days or less
  • Shortest time on market: 3 days
  • Longest time on market: 216 days. Note that I'm familiar with this house, too, and the lot is NOT typical of most Woodcroft homes. The property has roads on 3 sides (front, back, and side) & a public walking trail running very close to the back of the house, but no fence. It also didn't have as many trees as most lots in Woodcroft. Most houses here are MUCH more private than this.

All of the information comes from MLS sales data, so FSBO homes are not included. I know of a couple of homes here that were sold by the owner. All were snatched up within a week of hitting the market.

Last edited by MrsSteel; 01-08-2008 at 11:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary