Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:53 PM

405 posts, read 1,769,778 times

Advertisements

Hula--why would houses in Woodcroft need powerlifting any more than any other home built ANYWHERE in the Triangle area--particularly since the drought? (edited: I re-read your post and think you were actually referring to Parkwood ... but nonetheless) I believe we all suffer from the clay soil bit... especially those of us in south Durham and Chapel Hill. And coming from a family of builders, I can tell you that it is the rare exception for one to actually have the soil analyzed and have a professional calculate how deep to pour the foundation. I would suspect that if you looked hard enough, a shocking number of homes in the Triangle area would be suffering from some kind of foundation failure following this intense drought period. Once the water table comes back up, minor problems will even back out again.

I know this thread is about Woodcroft, but just wanted to plug Woodlake again too (I know it was mentioned briefly earlier in the thread). I live on the NW side of Woodlake--literally across the street from Woodcroft--and think it's also a great location. When we were looking for homes, we saw several in Woodcroft but none of them had a desirable floorplan and all were priced a bit high for the market. Our Woodlake home offered a much better layout in a nearly identical atmosphere for a more reasonable price, so we snatched it up.

I've been in several Woodcroft homes, and I do not feel that the quality is really any better than those in Woodlake [in the same price range]. In fact, randomly place me in one or the other, and I'm sure I could not tell you which neighborhood I was in Even the trim work is identical (it's a rather unique molding). I do agree, however, that there is a portion of Woodlake that is less attractive (less wooded, smaller/newer homes, etc). Is that the east side? The section closest to Barbee...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 02:41 PM

43 posts, read 58,251 times
I've got a woodcroft crime question. I was quite surprised recently when I used the Durham police crime data site to find that there were nearly 60 reported crimes (mostly theft and burglery) around a randomly chosen woodcroft address.

This was for 2007 calendar year, withing a 1/2 mile of that particular house. I chose another address on the other end of woodcroft and got basically the same results.

I was surprised that it was that high, given the feel of the neighborhood. Anyone have thoughts on this? I have to assume it's largely related to the main roads that run up either side of it, because if I reduce the radius to 1/4 mile, it changes significantly. But, still surprising!

Old 01-08-2008, 04:04 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,494 times
Honestly, Gary, I don't feel I can comment on that since I'm not looking at the same information you are. Have you checked out the addresses where the crimes took place? And what sorts of crimes they were?

Woodcroft is made up of about 2000 homes, but we still have many neighborhoods adjacent to the community - for example Woodlake, as Procfreq mentioned, and Hope Valley Farms. With a population density like ours, I would not be at all surprised by a bit of crime here and there.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:54 PM

43 posts, read 58,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Honestly, Gary, I don't feel I can comment on that since I'm not looking at the same information you are. Have you checked out the addresses where the crimes took place? And what sorts of crimes they were?
I was using the Durham crimemapper with an address on Fortunes Ridge and another address on Bayberry: Durham Police Department

I was surprised by how many of the crimes were right in the Woodcroft neighborhood (Fortunes Ridge drive specifically, for example), or were on the Parkway itself. Of course, there were many more on streets outside of the neighborhood, as well. The difference between 1/2 mile radius and 1/4 mile radius of the Fortunes Ridge address was huge. But, 1/2 mile is still pretty close by!

The crimes varied, but were primarily theft from a car or theft *of* a car.

It may be a non-issue, and I said to my wife that we might be surprised if I looked up our current Seattle suburb neighborhood, as well. Woodcroft certainly didn't *feel* like a area with crime issues when we visited, and I would assume that you and others who live there don't think of it that way, either!

But, the number was much higher than I expected, and it was also higher than another neighborhood we're considering (Chancellors Ridge).

Old 01-19-2008, 08:22 AM

Hi, Gary. Sorry I'm responding to this so late. I was reading back through the archives & just found this.

I honestly don't know how the crime in Chancellor's Ridge compares to Fortune's Ridge. I wonder if the car-related crimes have anything to do with the number of garages. A lot of "older" homes in this region (like those found in Fortune's Ridge) have no garage, but they're more popular in larger homes & in newer construction (like Chancellor's Ridge). Who knows! But as you say, I feel very safe here. There are plenty of people in my little corner of Woodcroft who work at home or who stay home with the kids, so there's always someone here keeping an eye on things. I know a lady who used to live here (she moved last year) who had a habit of leaving her keys in her car. Her car was never stolen or burgled, despite her careless behavior. So who can say!

Old 01-27-2008, 06:03 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,271,582 times
Thumbs up A few more photos

We all know the sequel is never as good as the original and while my pictures are not as fabulous as Mrs. Steel's I thought I would add them to this thread. I haven't had the free time to do a lot of shutter buggin' lately, but I was over at the South Point Mall today and I took 5 minutes to swing through Woodcroft to check it out. I was very impressed. Nice Houses, lots of trees, squirrels, children playing, and people jogging and walking Dogs. Looks like a very nice area and it is on my short list of places if I move in the future.

Again, not as good as Mrs. Steels awesome at the start of this thread, but here are the few I snapped today during my brief visit.

Pictures were taken on 1/27/08

Walking Path

Old 03-24-2008, 09:06 AM

3 posts, read 11,327 times
Default Parking?

I am thinking of buying in Woodcroft, and have seen some townhouses for sale that might work for me (weathesfield dr. area, and back into that subdivision). Can anyone comment about the parking in this "townhouse" area of Woodcroft? Any other comments about this part of the community would be helpful! THANKS!

Old 03-24-2008, 11:52 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,961,607 times
I love that little white house with the red door...

Old 03-24-2008, 07:37 PM

403 posts, read 352,792 times
MrsSteel, this thread made it to the top of the list again, so I reviewed your pics. Nice! There are some things I will always miss about living in that area.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglobalmind View Post
I am thinking of buying in Woodcroft, and have seen some townhouses for sale that might work for me (weathesfield dr. area, and back into that subdivision). Can anyone comment about the parking in this "townhouse" area of Woodcroft? Any other comments about this part of the community would be helpful! THANKS!
There is one person on this forum - PlantGeek - who just moved into a townhome in Woodcroft one month ago. That person doesn't seem to post very often, so I don't think we'll get to hear the word on this from someone with experience. The best I could do for you is drive by that area tomorrow and count the parking spaces & townhomes for you so we could come up with a ratio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary