Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:34 AM

645 posts, read 1,503,434 times

Advertisements

Yep the media will start to go off the rails later today. Historic Blizzard etc.. Uh yep it could be a real mess down here in North Carolina. Snow Plows?? Yea right. Plus the cold that will set in after the storm. It will as I said earlier get old real fast. Since the only way anyone will be moving will be ON FOOT!

If my son was not going to be flying in Friday I would be heading to Florida.Snow and a big storm is fun with an area that can deal with it. You push it out of the way and move on with your life. Around here?? Not gonna happen.. The lets wait till it melts is hard when you have 20 inches and its below freezing and you do not have plows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 03:16 AM

776 posts, read 1,684,296 times
Wow...in reading alot of the chatter among weather experts, this just might be a historic snow storm. Amounts of 2-3 feet of snow AT LEAST! Wow.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:45 AM

645 posts, read 1,503,434 times
It has been dry around Raleigh for months . The last time we had over 1 inch of precip was months ago, I would bet we might get maybe a foot if it all plays out perfect. But 2 or 3 feet? You really do not want that and is quite ...

Old 12-22-2010, 06:53 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,077,583 times
For perspective - the weather models don't have a great track record until the storms actually cross from the Pacific and start tracking across the US mainland. That should happen later today as the storm approaches southern California. Model run tomorrow morning should be more accurate, especially if they start to converge on a similar solution.

Frank

Old 12-22-2010, 10:00 AM

62 posts, read 65,141 times
OK so i'm confused. Can anybody just update me on what's going on (in simple terms). I'm seeing things like we could get 1 foot of snow, and I just don't see this happening. It'd be great if somebody could just clue me in.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:18 AM

776 posts, read 1,684,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCaryGuy View Post
OK so i'm confused. Can anybody just update me on what's going on (in simple terms). I'm seeing things like we could get 1 foot of snow, and I just don't see this happening. It'd be great if somebody could just clue me in.
From what I've read, the Euro forecast model, which seems to have a fairly good track record in predicting these storms, is predicting a historic storm for areas of central NC/SC and even as far south as Georgia. The possibility is there for near 2 feet of snow in a swath between central SC up through central NC (between I77 and I95)...then it appears to stall near the Delmarva, then gather strength and slam into the Northeast.

In later discussions, it appears the other models are starting to emulate the Euro's track, but there remains skepticism since this storm hasn't (or is just about to) hit CA yet.

It's becoming more and more likely there will be snow on Christmas Day into Sunday...the question, which we may have a clearer answer for later today and later this week, is how much. If the Euro model holds up, we could have something rivaling Jan 2000.

Or we could have a little cold rain....

Old 12-22-2010, 10:27 AM

4,590 posts, read 6,422,669 times
Even Accuweather is starting to honk now:
"Hold everything! The latest indications are the cross-country storm will shift farther south, sparing much of the Midwest heavy snow, but raising concerns for the same in places that rarely get it.

Based on the behavior of the storm Tuesday and Wednesday around California, AccuWeather.com meteorologists now believe the cross-country storm will track farther south through the middle part of the nation, and do so at a slower pace.....

Interestingly, a more southern track and push of cold air raises the "possibility" of some snow for Southern cities such as Birmingham, Atlanta and Charlotte."

http://www.accuweath...hifts-south.asp

Old 12-22-2010, 11:02 AM

For what it's worth here...they are briming roads in Cary.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:04 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,598,935 times
Hee! From the accuweather story:

"This is likely to be a two-loafer," Mancuso added.
Mark was referring to the typical rush on bread (and milk) at grocery stores that occurs when a snowstorm threatens the South. "One loaf for the storm, add a second since it is threatening on Christmas," He said.

Here's the full link:

AccuWeather.com - Weather News | Snowstorm Threat Shifts South, Hold Everything! (http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/43364/snowstorm-threat-shifts-south.asp - broken link)

Old 12-22-2010, 11:16 AM

Latest Euro model says GAME ON, phases system into a BOMB before it even hits Florida! A true Carolina Crusher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary