Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 09:07 AM

842 posts, read 3,228,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Now, y'all don't want to hear this, but the influx of new residents combined with political corruption is the issue here. Instead of saving everyone money by collecting infrastructure costs up front with impact fees, government has sold out to the real estate/development operators.

The money for roads, schools, water, etc will need to be borrowed. Interest rates are up, and taxpayers (new & old) will need to pay this on top of the cost for the actual work.

As a long-tern Raleigh resident, I wish impact fees were used or building permits restricted to keep taxes reasonable.

If this unfettered growth continues, those moving here from NJ will find a Southern version of NJ waiting to receive them.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. For a number of reasons, I think impact fees are an ideal way to pay for growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 09:09 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
The answer is to stifle sprawl by not building roads. Encourage higher density that could make rail transportation feasible.

Do not encourage folks to move further out.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:16 AM

180 posts, read 662,355 times
I am so excited about the road opening, it may help with traffic on 40 during the rush hours!!!! I honestly think that a toll road is not a bad thing (I'm from Boston, drove the Pike daily to/from work). Tolls keep the roads well kept and should help speed up the time it takes to complete the roads!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:28 AM

310 posts, read 1,714,996 times
Can someone explain to me what our personal property tax money is used for?
I am talking about cars tax that we pay every year in addition to the road tax.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE1000 View Post
Can someone explain to me what our personal property tax money is used for?
I am talking about cars tax that we pay every year in addition to the road tax.
Almost 80% of your county tax goes to funding public schools. And the largest chuck of municipal taxes go towards funding Police and Fire. Here's the breakdown....
WakeGOV.com - Where Your Money Goes
Anything in there that you'd like to get rid of that would have a significant impact on tax rates?

The car tax goes into the highway trust fund. But that revenue isn't nearly enough to pay for everything.

BTW....property taxes around here are downright cheap compared to other places in the country. The property taxes in NJ are 3 TIMES higher than what you see around here (e.g. $6000/year on a $200,000 home)!!!! And many places in Pennsylvania have low property taxes, but have separate school taxes that have to be paid twice a year, which when combined, is MUCH higher than what you pay around here.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
The answer is to stifle sprawl by not building roads. Encourage higher density that could make rail transportation feasible.
Do not encourage folks to move further out.
That's true...but then Raleigh would end up being a hell-hole like Philadelphia, where it's hard to get anywhere because the roads are constantly congested, and the trains are only really useful if you're traveling into center city.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:49 AM

515 posts, read 1,036,366 times
I'm from Boston, and the last thing you want is a toll road...the toll taking is a very inefficeint way of raising money (just look at the mass pike), plus it adds to congestion (the toll booths on the mass pike are the cause of the back-ups, traffic backs up onto RT128). Just hope and pray you don't get municiple unions...then you'll see your property taxes go sky high....

Old 07-12-2007, 10:52 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Tolls keep going up in NYC.

Don't let the politicians get a finger in your pocket or they'll soon have their whole hand picking your pocket.

Once tolls start, they will rise without limit.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:01 AM

310 posts, read 1,714,996 times
Quote:
Tolls keep going up in NYC.

Don't let the politicians get a finger in your pocket or they'll soon have their whole hand picking your pocket.

Once tolls start, they will rise without limit.
I lived in NYC and in Long Island, and I totaly agree. If they start a toll in one road, there will be nothing to stop them after that. Every time they will need money, guess what they are going to do.!

Old 07-12-2007, 11:14 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
I lived in Richmond, and the equivalent to the beltline around the city was a toll road. I thought it worked very well. It seemed fair to me that the people using the road should pay for it. (I was one of those.) Regular users buy a pass and get a discount. And traffic is manageable because those who don't want to pay take other routes.

I think it should pinch a little for us to live in the suburbs and drive like there's no tomorrow. (yes, I'm speaking to myself) It might encourage carpooling, cutting down on wear on the roads and helping to decrease our dependence on foreign oil.

And public transportation does not have to be useful only for those traveling into a downtown area. Have a look at the Metro system in Northern Virginia/DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary