Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 05:19 PM

33 posts, read 71,632 times

Advertisements

Over 300k should be pretty trivial to find what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 08:50 AM

3 posts, read 4,237 times
I would be working at Duke University Hospital in Durham. I don't know the area well, but I'm sure you all know exactly where that is.

I mainly ride Appaloosas (all disciplines). I am interested in showing at circuit shows (I haven't shown in about 6 years since I've been busy with grad school) and working with an appy or Quarter Horse trainer when I have the time. I only know of 2 appy trainers in North Carolina.

I'm really not interested in a "horse community" as the plan is to have a fully functional small training facility for my show horses. I'll need to have my own arena (hopefully indoor AND outdoor) and a round pen, which is why I need a minimum of 10 acres. 15 acres would be ideal. I currently have 4 horses, but may be interested in 1 or 2 more horses in the future. I'd also consider running a small boarding facility if I find a property in my price range that is large enough.

I won't be ready to move until May so at this time I'm only casually browsing to see what is available. I really appreciate all your replies, this will certainly be helpful! Sorry I haven't visited this post in a while, I've been on vacation! Thanks again and I will keep checking back for more helpful comments.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:56 AM

3 posts, read 4,237 times
Oh and as far as wanting quick access to a city.. Not really necessary. As long as I can get to a grocery store, a feed store, and a gas station I will be happy.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:14 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,077,144 times
Working at Duke Hospital means northern Durham County, Rougemount, etc would be good choices as well as Chatham County.

Frank

Old 12-27-2010, 01:16 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,475,839 times
I lived in Oxford for a little while and it was exactly 45 minutes to Duke hospital. That area would fit your needs. You could get an awful lot of acreage in that area for what you're planning to spend. Housing is cheap there. You could choose Rougemont, Timberlake, etc. and have a shorter commute. The only downside to those areas, even though they are closer to Durham, is grocery stores and other shopping are not convenient. I think you would have to drive in to Durham to do any shopping. I'm not sure if there is shopping in Bahama. Oxford is a self contained town with all the shopping you could need close by...Super-Walmart, a really nice Food Lion (the FL and Wal-Mart are nicer than the ones in the Triangle. FL has a great organic section) as well as a quaint downtown with a few clothing boutiques, coffee shop, gym, etc, etc, etc.

Creedmoor is another possibility. Creedmoor and OXford have a Southern States feec store. The one in Creedmoor is bigger. Creedmoor is about 30 minutes from Durham. I think Timberlake also has a feed store.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:05 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValCRNA View Post
I would be working at Duke University Hospital in Durham. I don't know the area well, but I'm sure you all know exactly where that is.

I mainly ride Appaloosas (all disciplines). I am interested in showing at circuit shows (I haven't shown in about 6 years since I've been busy with grad school) and working with an appy or Quarter Horse trainer when I have the time. I only know of 2 appy trainers in North Carolina.

I'm really not interested in a "horse community" as the plan is to have a fully functional small training facility for my show horses. I'll need to have my own arena (hopefully indoor AND outdoor) and a round pen, which is why I need a minimum of 10 acres. 15 acres would be ideal. I currently have 4 horses, but may be interested in 1 or 2 more horses in the future. I'd also consider running a small boarding facility if I find a property in my price range that is large enough.

I won't be ready to move until May so at this time I'm only casually browsing to see what is available. I really appreciate all your replies, this will certainly be helpful! Sorry I haven't visited this post in a while, I've been on vacation! Thanks again and I will keep checking back for more helpful comments.
Efland definitely has what you're looking for. 5-15 minutes to all your shopping needs in Mebane and Hillsborough depending on how far out you live and about 25 to Duke. There are plenty 10+ acre lots available well within your price range. The great thing about Efland is it's very rural and quiet, but still easy access to everything because of its proximity to the interstate and the fact that it's situated right in the middle of two smaller towns.

It meets your qualifications the most when you include all the factors of price, commute, and needs. BUT, I don't find it as pretty as the rolling hills that you find in Hillsborough, Bahama, Rougemont, etc. if that is important at all.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:12 PM

5,882 posts, read 6,948,860 times
The wife of a former boss of mine boarded horses (theirs and for others). They lived in Liberty, NC. He said it took him just under an hour to get from their house to our office on the Wake County side of RTP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary