Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2010, 07:21 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,447 times

Advertisements

We have explored North Raleigh and Wake Forest and have found a sub division we really like in Wake Forest. My friend who lives in Rolesville is trying to move to Cary next year and suggests that we do the same as there isn't much for middle schoolers and high schoolers to do in Wake Forest. She also suggests Apex and Holly Springs as alternatives to Cary because Cary seems out of our price range. She says she is always driving to Cary with her 11 yr old son. Do you find any merit to this? What things would be in Cary that aren't in Wake Forest? We are coming down again in Feb and would appreciate any and all input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 07:31 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
No matter how you feel about Cary it is hard to argue with the resources that it offers its residents. It is also hard to argue with Cary being a far more central location than Wake Forest.
If Cary is out of your budget (and depending on your needs and wants that may or may not be the case) Apex and Holly Springs offer less expensive alternatives with similar access to Cary's parks/recreation/shopping-that can't be said for Wake Forest.
My prediction for the town with the biggest upside potential over the next 10 years is Holly Springs. It has yet to benefit fully from the expansion of 540.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:40 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
No matter how you feel about Cary it is hard to argue with the resources that it offers its residents. It is also hard to argue with Cary being a far more central location than Wake Forest.
If Cary is out of your budget (and depending on your needs and wants that may or may not be the case) Apex and Holly Springs offer less expensive alternatives with similar access to Cary's parks/recreation/shopping-that can't be said for Wake Forest.
My prediction for the town with the biggest upside potential over the next 10 years is Holly Springs. It has yet to benefit fully from the expansion of 540.
I tend to agree with your Holly Springs prediction. Especially if the New Hill shopping complex (Target, etc) goes ahead as planned. But the nicer neighborhoods in Holly Springs are already pretty pricey, you really need to go west of 55 to see a big price difference and a lot of people don't want to do that.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:46 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I tend to agree with your Holly Springs prediction. Especially if the New Hill shopping complex (Target, etc) goes ahead as planned. But the nicer neighborhoods in Holly Springs are already pretty pricey, you really need to go west of 55 to see a big price difference and a lot of people don't want to do that.
I would agree with that as well. I would prefer not to be West of NC55 either.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:47 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
If renting is an option, this question is a perfect reason to consider renting short-term so you can run around the county while considering your options.

And big "dittos" to Funky Chicken's post.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:20 PM

746 posts, read 2,246,990 times
I think it all depends on what your definition of plenty to do is, and what your threshold is for driving / letting your kid run around on his/her own (in neighborhood with friends). Following that, what your comfort level is with finances - and how much you are willing to sacrifice for address versus how much you would like to take out of your present equity and put into muni bonds or other ways to turn your current equity into college funds - 7 years is a short time! For my money - I'd choose WF in a heartbeat. I know of a great house for sale - $90 sf in a nice subdivision. Owners are moving out of state and are in a hurry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary