Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 05:05 PM

175 posts, read 914,149 times

Advertisements

There's a major lack of gym/fitness center selection in the RTP area! I'm sure there's a reason, but it's not obvious to me. With a high population of workers, it's the ideal place to reach those people who want to workout before work, during lunch or after work.

The way I see it, the RTP area would make for booming business for a quality gym. Right now, there's Gold's Gym (with it's smell and 90% broken equipment...ew!) and a smaller, one-room type of place on Hwy 55.

If you or anyone you know is looking to open a nice fitness center, look no further than RTP and you'll have a line out the door of people who would join, I guarantee it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 05:27 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
I don't know if it is as perfect as a location as you think. I prefer joining a gym closer to my house rather than work. I may change jobs often, but I am less likely to move. I also enjoy going to the gym on weekends and would prefer not to have to drive 30 minutes to the gym.

I'm sure I am not alone and this is probably why gym franchises aren't ready to invest in an RTP branch.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:10 PM

502 posts, read 1,251,638 times
Many companies in RTP have employee gyms so perhaps that is why you notice a lack of typical gyms. Don't know, just a thought...

I try to workout during lunch (and shower) several times a week as having a gym at work is very convenient. And free unlike a Gold's, etc!

Old 12-17-2010, 07:01 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCInMyMind View Post
Many companies in RTP have employee gyms so perhaps that is why you notice a lack of typical gyms. Don't know, just a thought...

I try to workout during lunch (and shower) several times a week as having a gym at work is very convenient. And free unlike a Gold's, etc!
I don't work in RTP but I've heard the above comments from several people that do.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:57 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCInMyMind View Post
Many companies in RTP have employee gyms so perhaps that is why you notice a lack of typical gyms.
Yes, very good point. I belong to Gold's and have been to that one right at lunchtime, when I figured it would be very crowded, but an hour isn't much time to drive there, work out, shower and get dressed, then drive back. I usually work out in the morning before work, and even then, it is not very crowded. But pretty much every large company I'm aware of at RTP has at least some small sort of facility and a shower.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:02 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,823,728 times
I know a lot of the larger companies have onsite facilities and they are on so much land that people are just running around the office parks and trails.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:43 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Both companies that I've worked for in RTP have their own gyms, either on-site or nearby. One was company provided, and the other was provided by the company that rented space to us.

For example, Duke Realty provides a gym to employees of its tenants in Perimeter Park, and I'll bet that some of the bigger companies in Perimeter Park have their own gyms as well.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:33 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
There was a gym at Keystone Park as well, in the two story building I assume it is still there but am not 100% sure.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:06 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,133 times
I think if there was a gym shortage you would not see so many vacant spaces that used to be gyms.

Between employer facilities, the few major players like O2 and Lifetime, and the smaller "weight rooms" I see in strip malls the bases seem to be covered. Add to this the poor economy which makes gym membership a luxury for people like me who are not overly motivated anyway, and there you have it. If I was really going to make an effort to go to a gym there are enough choices for me.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:29 PM

4,161 posts, read 4,876,880 times
Triangle area public gym's in general have not done well and many have closed or went bankrupt over the past several years although some have been able to survive long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary