Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 11:45 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebubbly View Post
II often wonder how we are supposed to stay abreast of new laws, especially ones like this. Read the law book every year? Seriously.
Every year, before the new laws that were passed during the last legislative session take effect, the media make a point of doing stories about them. Every local newscast has some "new laws" segement, and the News & Obscurer runs something as well. Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 12:31 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
"I didnt know" doesnt fly in court. It has been over 6 years since this law went into effect.

Maybe the state should tatoo it to peoples head to get a clue.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,934 times
I see that they passed a move over law but have they passed a law saying that the police car could not be parked half way in the middle of the road when stoping a car

Old 03-25-2009, 06:30 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertreid View Post
I see that they passed a move over law but have they passed a law saying that the police car could not be parked half way in the middle of the road when stoping a car
What the hell is wrong with you? Do you have absolutely ZERO common sense? No, I'm not law enforcement but I have been in similar situations where drivers are so angry because something is slowing them down regardless of what's going on like emergency personnel trying to save somebody's life. They park the car like that to protect their own life from out-of-control drivers like yourself.
How can I judge somebody to be an out-of-control driver just from a message board post? Because of the ignorant comment that was made! It summed up your true feelings on the issue and how it's such an inconvenience to you that an emergency worker is taking up a precious lane of travel. Forgive us for causing you to get home 2 minutes later.

And knowing I just got trolled, I now dedicate this post to the rest of you who have no respect for police, fire, and EMS crews who are trying to assist someone else and trying to protect their own life in the process.
WHEN YOU SEE EMERGENCY LIGHTS WHETHER THEY'RE BLUE, RED, OR AMBER, SLOW DOWN AND GIVE THEM SOME ROOM!!

Old 03-25-2009, 06:42 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALT-X View Post
Written warnings are not kept track of since they mean nothing. The only thing that means anything in any court is being officially cited for a violation. I don't know what agency pulled your friend over but the Raleigh Police Department doesn't make it a practice to give people warnings for misdemeanor violations (like the move over law). A misdemeanor is an arrestable offense so a person who is cited for any misdemeanor (including simple ones like forgetting to sign your registration card) is already getting a break by not being arrested. Now for infractions we have a lot more leeway and give warnings (both verbal and written) more frequently. An example of an infraction would be an expired car inspection or not signaling before changing lanes.

Your reason for hating cops was amusing to me because I encounter attitudes/opinions like yours when I'm working and it just shows how no one wants to take responsibility for their actions anymore, no matter how minor. You should not hate cops for enforcing laws, you should dislike the law and try to change it. That's not easy to do so maybe if you are a "hate" type person you should direct your anger towards all the congressmen and others who make the laws.

Don't worry, I'm never take opinions like yours personally, it never bothers me or affects the level of service I offer to the citizens of Raleigh. I'm a true professional and know people who think like you are all over the place. Attitudes like yours are good because it keeps me motivated and they certainly provide us all with good entertainment...
Great post. I am not a cop either. I have never heard of the "move over law", but it is common sense to move to the left lane or slow down when there is a cop, or broken down car on the side of the road....

Old 03-26-2009, 04:22 AM

502 posts, read 1,392,129 times
For Alt-X:
Hello, I am going to be visiting the Triangle soon and renting a car. Could you please explain this "move over" law to me in detail so I will be obeying the traffic laws there. Also, are there any other traffic laws there that I should be aware of in advance?
Thanks very much...

Old 03-26-2009, 04:24 AM

502 posts, read 1,392,129 times
Sorry let me clarify... Are there any other unusual traffic laws that I should be aware of in advance? (I've lived in the Midwest, Nevada, Northeast, and never heard of this move over law but some have done it out of courtesy).

Old 03-26-2009, 05:05 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,694 times
i thought of this thread the other day, funny that it just got brought back to life, but they either passed or are passing a similar law here in MA. i had never thought of that kind of thing being a law. it is common sense to try to do something in that situation, but that something may not be exactly what the law requires. i would also like to agree with robertreid and point out that i have seen cops pull people over in all kinds of dangerous locations. the middle of intersections, entrances to parking lots, 2/3 of the right lane, etc. no amount of avoidance is going to make that a safe situation.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:39 AM

521 posts, read 1,598,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
Sorry let me clarify... Are there any other unusual traffic laws that I should be aware of in advance? (I've lived in the Midwest, Nevada, Northeast, and never heard of this move over law but some have done it out of courtesy).
Here's the Move Over Law in a nutshell:
Quote:
The Move Over law requires motorists to approach cautiously when an emergency vehicle is stopped on the shoulder of the roadway with its lights flashing. Motorists are required to change lanes away from the emergency vehicle on a multi-lane highway or slow down on a two lane highway and can do so safely. Motorists must slow down while maintaining a safe speed. G.S. 20-157 (f).
File under not-so-common common sense. The purpose is to prevent incidents like this. (video link)

Old 03-26-2009, 10:08 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
You can go to the NC DMV website and take a quick look at the Driver's Handbook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary