U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 10,688 times

Advertisements

I couldn't help it! I didn't see the officer pulled over because I was cresting a slight incline on I40 ramp (merging on to I40 from Edwards Mill) into heavy traffic (so I couldn't get over either, once I got to him). The cop finished the guy he had pulled over and then pulled me. Clocked me at 60mph going past him.

I did a PFJ last year and now risk getting screwed royally.

ANY suggestions would really help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 11:07 AM

480 posts, read 2,076,883 times
NEVER speed in that area. The Highway Patrol is located right off the interstate near Edwards Mill.

If anyone can read this, if you are in the NC State fairgrounds area, NEVER EVER EVER speed. Especially as I-40 comes into West Raleigh and you are passing Blue Ridge Rd. and Edwards Mill ... that area has been a speed trap for as long as I can remember.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:22 AM

842 posts, read 2,923,349 times
I had a friend from Illinois who got one of these tickets while visiting us. She stayed in the right lane because that's the law in Illinois...you stay in the right-most lane except when you're passing someone. The cop didn't care that she had never heard of this law because she was from out of state, and gave her a ticket anyway. Of course she's forced to pay the ticket because she can't stay a week to contest it in court.

Just another reason why I don't like cops....

Old 07-13-2007, 11:24 AM

141 posts, read 617,130 times
What's the "move-over" law? Also, if pleading guilty would adversely affect you, I would say contest it and possibly retain the services of a traffic attorney.

EDIT: Nevermind, I looked it up. Anyway, I gather the law states that you must "move-over" if you can do so safely, but it sounds that with heavy traffic, you could argue that moving over would pose a potential risk to you as well as the other motorists. Then again, I'm not a lawyer, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:27 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,512,591 times
NC Move Over Law (http://www.ncdot.org/traffictravel/incident/faq.html - broken link)

If you are unable to move over, you need to slow down until you pass the incident.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:28 AM

1,840 posts, read 5,127,165 times
Get an attorney. You'll likely be able to drop it to "improper equipment", so it won't effect your pfj or insurance rates.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:29 AM

9,680 posts, read 23,488,687 times
The law says you should move over a lane to the left if you see an emergency vehicle in the right lane/

Pleading guilty would hurt since a "PFJ" "Prayer for Judgment" means that the older charge will be reinstated against you if a new conviction happens during the probation period.

A lawyer may be a wise move.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:30 AM

5 posts, read 26,650 times
This rule drives me nuts. I respect the principle of keeping law enforcement safe, but I've heards stories of people getting hit with this when their exit was located 300 yards past the location of the cop and they stayed in the lane.

They seem to be in the stage of following the letter of the law in order to get the word out and have yet to move on to the 'reasonable' stage.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:47 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,899,853 times
You don't like cops because they enforce the laws? Isn't that their job? If it's the law you don't like, fight it!

Old 07-13-2007, 12:13 PM

842 posts, read 2,923,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
You don't like cops because they enforce the laws? Isn't that their job? If it's the law you don't like, fight it!
I don't like cops because of the tactics they use. In my friends case, she should have been given a warning, since she had never even heard of this law, and shouldn't have been expected to given she was from Illinois. But instead, she was shown no leniency because the cops are trying to 'send a message'.

And I don't like the law because it didn't allow for warnings for out-of-staters. And I'm fighting it by expressing my dislike of it on this message board!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary