Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 06:57 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weblackey View Post
Lots of folks go away to visit family, etc.

If I were cynical I might ruminate on the fact that the board (cough cough Tedesco cough) reportedly only had this one candidate lined up... and let's hold that vote two days before Christmas!

Nah, I wouldn't think that, not me.
You really should think of it that way and you have history on your side. It is easiest to do something controversial the Thursday before a long weekend especially Xmas. You have the main press people probably off and not wanting to spend a lot of time on it and think about it many people are off tomorrow or out of town in the community and now is the ideal time to sneak something as under the radar as you are going to get. Presidents get accused of it as does many others in the public sector who practice it. Remember the release of the log of the Presidents staff meetings with Rod Blagojevich just before the holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 09:08 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Um..yeah. Based on some politically oriented things he's said and indicated elsewhere, I'm not at all impressed. He's not trained in education and someone taking a 10 month course to learn how to run school systems actually frightens me. But honestly, I didn't expect anything better from this board. I never thought I'd say it, but it's looking more and more like a move out of WCPSS for us. Thank goodness I've already gotten one almost out and another one half way through.
DITTO all the way. Educators should run the schools. Would you hire a school teacher to run a corporation? Or a school superintendent to lead an army into battle? No way. The current board thinks nothing of shuffling kids around based on the parents who scream the loudest, but children are not marbles, they're humans. Their childhood friendships and socialization matter.

We're looking at all our options this year and are really hoping to get into a charter school. I'm DONE putting up with WCPSS. Wish I could afford the $$$$ for private, but we just can't.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:10 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Okay, I will say this...Michelle Rhee hand picked him and I thought she had a lot of good ideas (getting into the political scene wasn't one of them). I was sorry to see her get the boot from DC. (I follow the education news there as well...family in the area).

Meanwhile, I'm still puzzling over this quote...
"He will be the CEO of a $1.2 billion business,” said GOP school board member John Tedesco. “There are few and far between the number of leaders of his caliber who have entered Wake County.”

Does this statement actually make any grammatical sense?

As a Ph.D. in English, I would like to say, simply, no. Nor logical sense, either. But then again, Tedesco rarely says anything beyond worn out business cliches anyway. His powerpoint presentation on the zone model was a nightmare.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:53 PM

Default So this is how you do it?

Former Army general named new Wake superintendent - Wake County - NewsObserver.com

Quote:
Mirroring many of the votes that have split them over the past year, the officially non-partisan board split 4-2 along party lines with Republicans backing Tata. Democrats Kevin Hill and Carolyn Morrison voted no. Keith Sutton and Anne McLaurin were absent, complaining about lack of notice about the meeting, which was scheduled Tuesday.

A motion backed by Morrison and Hill to defer the vote to Jan. 4 to allow for parental comment was defeated by the same 4-2 vote. But both said they’d back Tata now that he’s hired.

Read more: Former Army general named new Wake superintendent - Wake County - NewsObserver.com

Old 12-24-2010, 05:58 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
HOWEVER, and this is a very big HOWEVER, I don't think there is room in education for partisan politics. I don't think teachers should be overt in the classroom about their politics.
The overwhelming majority of those in academia are liberal/democrats and those views are often pushed in the classroom.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
The overwhelming majority of those in academia are liberal/democrats and those views are often pushed in the classroom.
The very nature of public school education in the United States especially urban schools is progressive(valuing change) by definition and practice. Education reform has created strange bedfellows working together. One notable example is Newt Gingrich and Al Sharpton. Attaching the word liberal can be misleading as that is often how someone looking from the outside in might see things. Obviously American education needs reform and that=progressive. Within the reform movement are both Democrats and Republicans as noted by NCLB which had a very strong bipartisan push.

Progressive | Define Progressive at Dictionary.com
Quote:
favoring or advocating progress, change, improvement, or reform, as opposed to wishing to maintain things as they are, esp. in political matters: a progressive mayor.
The new superintendent may be just that. A political conservative with a progressive agenda.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:59 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Academia as in universities, perhaps. Certainly not our schools here in Wake. I've been on the PTA, involved in schools, friends who are teachers...many are conservative Republicans. As to what the breakdown is, I don't know but you cannot say they are majority liberal democrats...I just don't see it. IMO grade school curriculum is not reflective of liberal influence.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:24 PM

449 posts, read 699,466 times
Default Right you are, RaleighLass and Tuborg...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Academia as in universities, perhaps. Certainly not our schools here in Wake. I've been on the PTA, involved in schools, friends who are teachers...many are conservative Republicans. As to what the breakdown is, I don't know but you cannot say they are majority liberal democrats...I just don't see it. IMO grade school curriculum is not reflective of liberal influence.
Making that short blanket statement is just repeating a talking point, most likely not based in actual observation on the part of the person making the statement.

Which is the exactly what this discussion does not need in order to be productive.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
In the true sense of the definitions teachers and their unions tend to be very conservative when it comes to their jobs and education reform. Other areas they might be very different. I suspect for a number of reasons that the new superintendent will be a reformer and it will be interesting to see how much teachers in Wake embrace that change. He quite possibly will push for changes in evaluation and how Wake wants to implement reduction in force might provide a lively discussion in local education circles.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:25 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
Default Race to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
He quite possibly will push for changes in evaluation and how Wake wants to implement reduction in force might provide a lively discussion in local education circles.
Race to the Top funding requires certain standards for evaluation of teachers...so changes are likely in the wind no matter who got the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary