U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 08:42 AM

29,465 posts, read 33,740,314 times

Advertisements

Wake may be on the verge of making a possibly great choice to be superintendent or a land mine bringing baggage and public statements outside of education. While the public is captured with busing and school assignment the real challenge is budget reduction and probably reduction in force.

Wake schools may hire former general to lead - Wake County - NewsObserver.com

Quote:
Tata is a 2009 graduate of the Broad Superintendents Academy in California, a 10-month program designed to train business people and retired members of the military in how to become superintendents in urban school districts.
Read more: Wake schools may hire former general to lead - Wake County - NewsObserver.com

That is a great program and he has the nuts and bolts ability to efficiently get the system through the budget crisis that is coming. He will not be tolerant of things getting in the way of student achievement and that includes teachers, board members and school administrators. How well he interacts with the public and elected officials may well determine the length of his tenure. He has made some public statements that are certain to stir the pot and that may end up being how things start out and play out. It will be interesting, very interesting.

His very public and on the record pro Sarah Palin comments and anti Obama comments are in the News Observer link if you want to read them and decide for yourself if he will help smooth or stir the current climate in Wake up. Evidently his appointment vote may be today. Perhaps the real question will be if his personal and educational beliefs can be channeled for the best interests of Wake County.

Last edited by TuborgP; 12-23-2010 at 08:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 08:57 AM

118 posts, read 303,916 times
Here's a novel idea: Let's hire a teacher to be head of the school system. I think that most of the problems we see with the school system, including the budget is that these folks don't have the vaguest idea what teachers/schools need to get the job done. They end up spending all of their time rearranging chairs on the deck of the Titanic

Old 12-23-2010, 09:02 AM

8,266 posts, read 21,833,404 times
Um..yeah. Based on some politically oriented things he's said and indicated elsewhere, I'm not at all impressed. He's not trained in education and someone taking a 10 month course to learn how to run school systems actually frightens me. But honestly, I didn't expect anything better from this board. I never thought I'd say it, but it's looking more and more like a move out of WCPSS for us. Thank goodness I've already gotten one almost out and another one half way through.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:06 AM

9,198 posts, read 21,186,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCScrapmom View Post
Here's a novel idea: Let's hire a teacher to be head of the school system.
Teaching and running a large, complex organization are two very different skills. While I can see that someone who was once a teacher might have developed the necessary experience and skills to run a large school district, I do not believe that simply being a teacher is enough qualification.

I'm intrigued by the idea of bringing in someone from outside the education industry. I think all businesses tend to get a little inbred over time and could benefit from some outside perspectives. I'm nervous, though, about those who would come with a very strong and polarizing political agenda.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:17 AM

118 posts, read 303,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Teaching and running a large, complex organization are two very different skills. While I can see that someone who was once a teacher might have developed the necessary experience and skills to run a large school district, I do not believe that simply being a teacher is enough qualification.
I was thinking more along the lines of a school administrator...say high school principal for example. Most started out as teachers at least. I taught in a school once that had a principal who had never set foot in a classroom. It was an unmitigated disaster. Same goes for running the school system. You have to truly understand the objective and I still say you can't really do that without having spent significant time in the classroom.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:27 AM

63 posts, read 107,159 times
Funny, my father was a teacher for 30 years, and he said many times that former teachers do not make good administrators. It should be run more like a business.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:27 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,491,252 times
I would like to see a strong leader apointed to get on and do the job and be able to stand up to the interference from Tedesco and his friends. If the guy has half a brain he will tell them exactly what he will do if apointed and probably won't get the job as he doesn't meet the 'yes man' criteria the Board said they were looking to recruit.

Wake County School Board looking for a "yes man" as Superintendent

Old 12-23-2010, 09:33 AM

448 posts, read 584,235 times
Thumbs down I've got to agree with CHTranslant here, and then some:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post

I'm intrigued by the idea of bringing in someone from outside the education industry. I think all businesses tend to get a little inbred over time and could benefit from some outside perspectives. I'm nervous, though, about those who would come with a very strong and polarizing political agenda.
'Baggage' is an understatement with this guy... looks like another ideologue...
I'm voting Land Mine, Tuborg...

Old 12-23-2010, 09:34 AM

114 posts, read 375,697 times
Having taught for many years I can tell you that the two administrators I worked for that came from non educational background were far SUPERIOR to the life long educators. They had the ability to look at things without an emotional attachment and improved the situation in those districts. One taught early in his career, became a principal and then spent 15 years as a COO and CFO of a pharmaceutical company. The other was military, military prep school and then a superintendent before going to us. The other administrators career political educational appointees.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:56 AM

29,465 posts, read 33,740,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Um..yeah. Based on some politically oriented things he's said and indicated elsewhere, I'm not at all impressed. He's not trained in education and someone taking a 10 month course to learn how to run school systems actually frightens me. But honestly, I didn't expect anything better from this board. I never thought I'd say it, but it's looking more and more like a move out of WCPSS for us. Thank goodness I've already gotten one almost out and another one half way through.
The program he came out of is a superior and very intense program that has produced some great thinkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary