U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Is a retired army general a good choice to lead the Wake County Public School System?
Yes, it was a fine choice. 46 46.46%
No, it was a stupid choice. 22 22.22%
Yes, because leading an army is very similar to leading a school system. 5 5.05%
No, because we need someone with experience in running a major school system. 32 32.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 03:18 PM

6,066 posts, read 9,251,287 times

Advertisements

I am disgusted by the choice of a former army general as a choice to head up the Wake County school system.

Someone elsewhere said if the general has been in the army, he knows education. No, he doesn't. He knows how to TRAIN adults who have chosen to join the army. That has nothing to do with the education of elementary, middle school, and high school students. Two different and distinct fields.

The board chose him, some members have said, because of his knowledge of logistics. I guess they think moving students around is the same as moving soldiers and equipment? If there are similarities, it sounds as if he would have been fine as a short-term consultant and not as a full-time leader.

The board is also known for its conservative right-wing leanings. The board is supposedly independent of ANY political party. Yet the fine general has said publicly PALIN is more qualified to be president that President Obama. Such idiocy must have endeared him to the board.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 04:09 PM

2,088 posts, read 2,302,250 times
I think your poll is interesting. People who think it is a good choice (in disagreement with you) probably think so for reasons that you are unaware of or don't understand. Your "Yes" options citing similarities between a school system and an army sounds very sarcastic...but maybe you meant to be funny? I'm not educated enough on the topic to make a choice. I would have to know the job description of a superintendent and an Army General, which I don't. But I do think that your poll is ineffective.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Yet the fine general has said publicly PALIN is more qualified to be president that President Obama. Such idiocy must have endeared him to the board.

What do you think?
So if he agreed with your political sentiments he would have been fine?

Old 12-25-2010, 04:18 PM

Sarcastic? No, I think I was pretty straightforward.

No, it wasn't meant to be funny.

I think the choices in the poll are straightforward as well. You can choose more than one.

My post may reflect my beliefs, but I don't think my poll does. I'm sure CD members are more than capable of making their thoughts known in the poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I think your poll is interesting. People who think it is a good choice (in disagreement with you) probably think so for reasons that you are unaware of or don't understand. Your "Yes" options citing similarities between a school system and an army sounds very sarcastic...but maybe you meant to be funny? I'm not educated enough on the topic to make a choice. I would have to know the job description of a superintendent and an Army General, which I don't. But I do think that your poll is ineffective.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:19 PM

I think making a general making idiotic statements, gives us a little bit of insight into his way of thinking. Don't you?

He was an ARMY general known for his CONTROVERSIAL comments. Does this in any way help the Wake County situation? IMHO, he is not a good choice to lead any school system. He wasn't even chosen to lead the Washington, DC, system with his big 1.5 years of experience there. (My saying "big" was sarcastic.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
So if he agreed with your political sentiments he would have been fine?

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 12-25-2010 at 04:33 PM..

Old 12-25-2010, 04:39 PM

You may be right. I don't know. It just sounded to me like you were saying that because he supported a particular political party that he wasn't good for the position. Having a reputation for making controversial statements is another issue entirely. It probably doesn't make for a good politician, which involves pleasing the broadest spectrum of people as possible. But it doesn't necessarily disqualify a person from a business administrative position. I know people who say idiotic things all the time, but are still brilliant with finance and administration.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:44 PM

2,248 posts, read 5,895,907 times
I didn't vote, because I don't know. The jury is out.

* I don't agree with the current board's direction.
* I'm not fond of his partisan statements.

But, in other column:

* I don't think someone has to be an educator or a former leader of the school system to lead a school system. I think Mo Green in Guilford County is tremendous, and he's not an educator (he's a lawyer) and came to Guilford after being COO in the Mecklenburg County system.
* Michelle Rhee, who was Tata's boss, is a Democrat and has said that his partisan politics didn't come into his role in her administration.
* Michelle Rhee was so controversial for other reasons that no one who worked for her is going to become head of the DC schools, so I don't think it counts against him that he wasn't considered for that job.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:51 PM

16 posts, read 3,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I think making a general making idiotic statements, gives us a little bit of insight into his way of thinking. Don't you?

He was an ARMY general known for his CONTROVERSIAL comments. Does this in any way help the Wake County situation? IMHO, he is not a good choice to lead any school system. He wasn't even chosen to lead the Washington, DC, system with his big 1.5 years of experience there. (My saying "big" was sarcastic.)
Can you provide a list of his idiotic statements for reference? I have no clue what he has said so it will be good to see what people are referring to when they say he says idiotic things.

Holding a different political view is not something I would consider idiotic

Saying the world is flat is something I would consider idiotic

Old 12-25-2010, 08:02 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,749,115 times
when Wake County taxpayers are paying him $250k a year to manage the schools I don't expect him to have contractual provision to do other paid activities such as commentate on national issues which may or may not be controversial. For that kind of money I expect his undevided attention to the job in hand, particularly as a non-educator who will be learning both about Wake schools and his role as on the job training for the next year at least.

Schools chief allowed to do TV, Web stints - Home Page - NewsObserver.com

Old 12-25-2010, 08:10 PM

3,155 posts, read 6,985,498 times
The Broad Foundation ( founded by Eli Broad) trains ex-military and business men and women to take over and run Urban School districts. The idea is to run them like a business. Which in my opinion has some benefits BUT schools are NOT factories and children aren't cogs so I don't think all the business models fit. Even though the Broadies preach improvement through business applications.

Anthony Tate is a Broad Superintendent Graduate. My biggest concern about him would be:
"Additionally, The Broad Center will provide me a senior advisor for my first year, again at no cost to Wake County, and I will ensure that I choose an advisor with a strong academic background to advise me in this most critical area."

His senior advisor will also be a Broad Institute Grad (paid for by Broad). Yes, free to WCPSS but at what cost? Who is this person? And what exactly is this person's agenda?

I've seen Broad Supers and Broad advisors at work in our previous district... from that experience I've found they operate behind closed doors and don't care to include the public. They also found statics to fit their agendas instead of looking at reality. They are much "effective" in states / districts without Teachers Union. Parents of WCPSS pay very close attention to the upcoming months. There is no union to protect your teachers in Wake County.

It concerns me that he doesn't have an education background. But I'm more concerned about his Broad Training and the fact that he worked for Rhee.

Last edited by PDXmom; 12-25-2010 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: left out a word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary