Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 08:35 AM

50 posts, read 259,963 times

Advertisements

I moved recently to chapel hill and am wondering where people go in the Triangle (doesn't have to be CH) to hear live, traditionally southern music, such as gospel, blues, old time, appalachian string band music, etc. I don't see these types of music listings in the Indy and I don't know where to look.

Also, semi-related: what are peoples' thoughts on what kind of reception a white boy would receive going to a black Baptist church to hear some gospel music? I love gospel, but I'm totally non-religious, and I'm white. I realize church is not a concert, it's a place of worship, and the last thing I want to do is be disrespectful.

cheers and happy holidays!

JoJo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 09:19 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
it'll be a while from now, but mark your calendar:

Piedmont Blues Preservation Society

I don't know about Raleigh but in Wilson they always seem to post up flyers in local bbq joints.

If you ever passing through Wilson or driving down to 264, hop off at the 301 exit and go to Parkers, to the carry out entrance. You'll see all kinds of flyers for gospel, soul, and blues concerts. White and black groups.

(The Original) Parker’s Barbecue, Wilson
Parker's - Wilson, NC
Parker's Barbecue - Wilson, NC

Old 12-26-2010, 11:01 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
it'll be a while from now, but mark your calendar:

Piedmont Blues Preservation Society
There's also the Triangle Blues Society (TBS - Triangle Blues Society) and the Durham Blues Festival (Bull Durham Blues Festival).

Old 12-26-2010, 11:17 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
For Bluegrass/Oldtime, Ridgeway Opry House is drive, but excellent: http://ridgewayopryhouse.com/

Also there's the Bynum General Store. BYNUM Front Porch

Old 12-26-2010, 11:35 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times
The Cat's Cradle and Lincoln Theater (Raleigh) get all kinds of acts, as well as some smaller community venues. Locally to you, you can try the back-porch series (do they still do that?), and I think there is live music sometimes at the Carolina Inn. Might find some small solo acts at the General Store Cafe in Pittsboro.

EDIT> http://www.bluegrassmusicjams.com/ja...hcarolina.html

As for the Church thing, it's hard to say. I understand what you are saying about respect. But my experience around here has gone both ways. Once riding my road bike, I stopped to eat a Cliff Bar and sat on the steps of a Church that met your description, and someone drove up, asked me what I was doing there and asked me to leave before they called the Sherriff to arrest me, other times in similar situations I was invited in to worship. Just depends on the congregation. (I would hope someone would see your post here and maybe invite you to their church?) But I think that if you dressed fully appropriately and played it respectfully, you'd have better luck.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:27 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
They sometimes have things going on south of Raleigh, around Smithfield, Benson areas. I came across this. http://theundergroundsite.com/index.php/2010/06/southern-gospel-music-attracts-thousands-in-benson-n-c-12705 (broken link)
As for the church, Gospel Music, I think Shaw U may either play this on Sundays on their station, or be a resource for you regarding local gospel music. At one time they played gospel on Sundays...hopefully my info isn't too old? Perhaps you could call a local black church congregation for info. I know that Elevation Baptist is a big church around here. It's on New Bern Ave., maybe you could call them.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:00 PM

38 posts, read 163,427 times
For blues try The Blue Note and Papa Mojo's, both in Durham.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:00 AM

915 posts, read 2,381,626 times
The back porch music series is a summer series that hosts some traditional Southern music.

Here is the website for last year's series: http://wunc.org/events/back-porch-music-concert-series

The concerts are held in Downtown Durham at the American Tobacco Campus (right in front of the WUNC studios). There's also the Back Porch show on WUNC (91.5) starting at 8 on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:39 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
During warmer months - Fridays on the Front Porch, at the Carolina Inn in Chapel Hill.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:42 AM

600 posts, read 3,448,071 times
Look Here:

Charlie's Barn, From Pittsboro go West on Hwy 64 to Buckner-Clark Rd., Turn Right. Take the first left...Hillside Music Rd. to Charlie's Barn. Located between Siler City & Pittsboro, NC off of Hwy 64

Every Friday night from 7:00 PM till 9:00 PM. Country and Bluegrass music each and every Friday night. Good music, entertainment & fellowship for all ages for more than 20 years.

Contact: For additional information or if interested in playing at Charlie's please call Bruce at 919-542-3124 or email brucemeacham@embarq.com

I've heard that this place is awesome. Probably about 40 minutes from Chapel Hill.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-29-2010 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: Fixed the funky coding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary