Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2007, 07:10 AM

6 posts, read 30,181 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
My family is planning to relocate. We're in the middle of several scouting missions.

In our trips there, I saw most of the back roads were a little narrow. Are these bike-friendly?

Was wondering if there is an area around Raleigh that is similar to Hunterdon county NJ. I'd like an area where I can make a good quick safe scenic 15 miles in the morning right off my garage.

Also, for those who mountain bike, and used to do the same here in NJ), which State Parks are similar to Lewis Morris, Allaire, Allamuchy? Nothing too technical, just nice flowing and climbing singletrack.

Your input much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 02:41 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
The area is not terribly bike friendly to road bikes. Areas that were excellent to ride 5 years ago are now being heavily developed (such as the west Cary towards Jordan Lake). That said, there are still a lot of riders in the area and group rides are a big thing.

I recently bought a cheap mountain bike because the traffic on the roads was just too much for my taste. I just ride for fun and don't do anything at all technical. Greenways and the like are fine for me. My two favorite places to ride are probably the American Tobacco Trail and Umstead Park. The ATT is nearly all connected and runs from near Apex and Jordan Lake all the way to Durham when 2 bridges get done. Umstead has Cary Greenway on one side and Raleigh Greenway on the other (to the Art Museum and Merideth College) and it all combines to around 14 miles one-way. There is also a long greenway that follows Crabtree Creek. And all this Greenway keeps getting connected.

Check out the Get Out, Get Fit blog at the News and Observer website. He has a couple of greenway maps and always has new info on cycling and greenways.

For more trail type riding, Lake Crabtree Park and Harris Lake both have some good trail systems. There are some other options around , too. trianglemtb is a local group worth looking into. There used to be tons of "unofficial" places to mountain bike, but these continue to disappear.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:28 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,219 times
There was a recent discussion of bikes on this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...cary-good.html

As I posted in that thread, I agree with Dire Wolf that road biking in this area can be a little hard. Many people do group rides for safety more than other reasons; my sister road bikes a lot but strongly prefers a group. Because we have small children we stick to trails.

The best places for road biking are probably the state-sanctioned ones you can find through this link: NCDOT Division of Bicycle and Pedestrian Transportation (click "maps" at the top). You can probably find a house not too far from some of these trails.

The Triangle MTB group has a lot of information on local mountain biking here: TriangleMTB.com, your source for mountain biking in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill

You can find group rides through local bike shops like Spin Cycle and Cycling Spoken Here in Cary. I know some weekend rides go out from the A.E.Finley YMCA in North Raleigh too.

Here's the link to "Get Out Get Fit" that Dire Wolf mentioned too: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/joemiller/ (broken link) . I just recently discovered it and it is a great resource.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary