Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Apartmerntratings: angry rants, apartment managers, financial motivation

Old 07-15-2007, 07:49 AM

140 posts, read 417,909 times

Advertisements

Suggest anyone moving who needs an apartment use the site ApartmentRatings.com it lists the apartments in an area and also has ratings and reviews from people who have actually lived in a particular apartment bldg or complex. Helped me alot... and can be use all over the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 09:25 AM

551 posts, read 1,874,776 times
Take the ratings on Apartmentratings.com with a grain of salt, maybe a whole shaker of salt. I don't know about Raleigh but where I live people who are unhappy tend to post angry ratings about perfectly nice places. Also, management can post glowing ratings about places with big problems. Best to look for yourself and ask a lot of questions.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:59 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
People on there often complain when it's them at fault, not the apartment managers. Also there are people who are impossible to please. So don't believe everything you read on the reviews.

Some reviews on the site may be a few years old - put much more weight into what's being said recently.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:48 PM

43 posts, read 320,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaze View Post
Take the ratings on Apartmentratings.com with a grain of salt, maybe a whole shaker of salt. I don't know about Raleigh but where I live people who are unhappy tend to post angry ratings about perfectly nice places. Also, management can post glowing ratings about places with big problems. Best to look for yourself and ask a lot of questions.
I met one apartment manager who boasted they were highly rated on apartmentratings.com

things that make you go hmmm...
If the management / apartment owner boasts about apartmentratings.com, you can be sure that they will post some glowing reports. I rejected any place that had a rating below 50%. One negative report I saw was from one guy lived in 5 apartments in 5 years. No pleasing some people.

My Dad always said, "if you want to find the truth, you follow the money." Apartmentratings could be skewed by those with financial motivation.
I wandered around, and talked to residents that I met. My wife hates it when I do this, but these people have no financial motivation to lie. "I'm looking for an apartment, how do you like it here? Do things get fixed quikly, is it quiet?" Being a man, if I was by myself, I would only talk to men. A woman might feel uncomfortable talking to a strange man. Can't blame her. If you're a woman, talk to the women. If you're man talk to the men. If you're there as a couple, you can talk to any resident.

Just as a mutual fund's performance depends on the fund manager, a great deal of apartment life depends on the manager. Are they cutting costs, or pleasing the customers? I would ask how long the manager has been running the complex. A good approval rating + a manager who has been there 3 years + happy residents =

Most of my note taking was done with a camera. Pics downloaded into a laptop at the end of the day. The name of the complex, pool, parking, grounds, nice cars or beaters, nice things as well as bad (a clean pool or this piece of siding is rotting away). Is it an easy right turn at the exit, or will you be waiting to make a left turn across 4 lanes of traffic?

I also checked out my cellphone coverage. Took a picture using hand gestures to indicate # of signal bars. Hey, I'm an engineer. My Illinois-based work protects Navy Seals, First Responders, and the President. I can't help myself... And yes... I AM a geek. Thank you very much

At the end of the day, we compared places visited, pick one favorite for the day cross off the others. Otherwise they blur together.

Stop at a nice restaurant. Have a drink. Sleep. Tell your wife you love her, even though she hates you right now. Didn't take a vacation day like she wanted. This is business.

Visit the apartment again. At night. Would my wife feel safe? Listen to your gut.
One apartment that my wife loved during the day, had 6 burned out lights in the parking lot. Maybe they'll replace them when 12 lights are burned out. No lighting at the apartment entrance. Many shadows for evil-doers to... well...do evil.

One complex that looked great during the day, had a wide open garage at night. The complex was re-roofing the garage, re-doing some siding, and one garage door was completely removed. To protect the owner's belongings, the complex put up one Yellow Caution ribbon. Anyone want a free couch? How about a wine fridge? I would never live in a place that had such a cavalier disregard for resident's property.

The apartment we picked had all of the lights lit. Excellent lighting on the buildings. A resasonable amount of open parking spaces at 9PM. The manager told me which apartment was going to be open. I circled that building like a hawk. One our third visit, I met two of my neighbors. A 70 y.o.grandmother downstairs, a nice young lady next door. Her name tag indicated she works at the complex office. If there are any problems. Retirees are the best neighbors. You have a set of eyes there 24/7.

We all have to identify the things that are important to us,
and work to fit our own (perhaps quirky) needs.

I have to be overly cautious, since my wife & son will be alone while I complete business in Chicago. Of course, the nicer the apartment, the higher the rent. This was my 5th visit to Raleigh. The first 3 visits were dedicated to finding a good school for my son.
Pick up apartment keys Aug 12
Air mattress camping in the apartment.
School Parent orientation Aug 16.
Return to Illinois for the movers packup Aug 20.
Aug 21, sleeping on a matress on the floor in the Illinois house.

Mortgage is paid off, so I can afford to rent an apartment and fly down to see my family every 2 weeks. A bit stressful, but we've had to put up with more nonsense at work... I'll move when I find a job that I will love. You have a great job when you dream about work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary