Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:38 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
What parts of Garner are good to live in? I'm looking for a house around $150-$175K. Wake or Johston co? Altjough Clayton sounds good, I like to be with-in 5-10 minutes of shopping.
Oh! How's this?
Hwy 70 runs East/West. Its one long highway.
Head toward the east, you are in Clayton. Head toward the west, you are in Garner. Its a 5-10 minute drive between the two.

Garner has one big shopping area they are pretty known for (see my pictures under the sticky thread, I actually drove around the parking lot trying to take decent pics). Target, Michaels, Pier 1, BJ's, Petsmart, Ross, Staples, Dicks, Best Buy, HomeGoods, Party City, etc.

In Clayton, we have the super walmart plus every fast food joint known. There's also every drug store, Lowe's food, McKinleys Irish pub (EXCELLENT food!), Cato's, dollar tree, Cici's pizza buffet (cheap and good!) and more. Keep taking 70 east down and you will head into Smithfield (about a 20 minute drive) and you are at the Carolina Premium shopping outlet. (If you want to talk shopping, go there and get back to me. )

Hop on i-40 west and you are in Raleigh in about 10-20 minutes (depending on where you want to go in Raleigh).

Head in the opposite direction on I-40 East and you will be at the beach in about two hours.

Location is prime.
No complaints!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 08:59 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
You'll do fine in Garner. There is a chemical/pesticide plant in Garner that recently had an industrial accident. Millions of gallons of pesticides flooded the streams, lakes, and underground water supply. There are no mosquitoes or termites. . . . or any bugs for that matter. . . .in Garner anymore.
Aha! The pesticides are what helps the Garner High School football team beat everyone to a pulp every Friday night.

<3 ya 27529, I'll be back to visit one day.

Garner is one of the few places in the area I wouldn't go insane in if I never left town, but then again, I tend not to drink straight from the tap. It reminds me a lot of my hometown, for better or worse, except you can actually shop at decent places in Garner that are not Wal-Mart. There are actually roads where you don't have to park your car in the mud or the middle of the road if you blow a tire or something.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:32 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
In Clayton, we have the super walmart plus every fast food joint known. There's also every drug store, Lowe's food, McKinleys Irish pub (EXCELLENT food!), Cato's, dollar tree, Cici's pizza buffet (cheap and good!) and more.
Sounds wonderful. I'm getting tingly all over.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:24 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Thanks Ferrickhead! You summed it all up. White Oaks has pretty much of all the stores I'm looking for. The only thing it's missing is Aldi's or Save-a-lot. Do you know if they have any stores like that close-by?

Old 07-17-2007, 08:16 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Thanks Ferrickhead! You summed it all up. White Oaks has pretty much of all the stores I'm looking for. The only thing it's missing is Aldi's or Save-a-lot. Do you know if they have any stores like that close-by?
We do have a couple of Aldi's and I have heard nothing but rave reviews about Save-a-lot but to my knowledge, we dont have any of those.

Raleigh has 2 aldi's and there is one in Fuquay Varina:
ALDI Raleigh, NC

4241 Louisburg Road
Raleigh, NC 27604 More details
Map
Route
15.82 mi. Öffnungszeiten
Monday-Thursday 9am - 7pm
Friday 9am - 8pm
Saturday 9am - 7pm
Sunday 12pm - 6pm
ALDI Raleigh, NC

4031 Wake Forest Road
Raleigh, NC 27609 More details
Map
Route
16.31 mi. Öffnungszeiten
Monday-Thursday 9am - 8pm
Friday 9am - 8pm
Saturday 9am - 8pm
Sunday 12pm - 6pm
Come and visit our grand opening on May 10th, 2007
ALDI Fuquay-Varina, NC

1375 North Main Street
Fuquay-Varina, NC 27526 More details
Map
Route
16.7 mi. Öffnungszeiten
Friday 9am - 8pm
Saturday 9am - 7pm
Sunday 12pm - 6pm
ALDI Wilson, NC

2106 Forest Hills Road West
Wilson, NC 28358 More details
Map
Route
30.51 mi. Öffnungszeiten
Friday 9am - 8pm
Saturday 9am - 7pm
Sunday 12pm - 6pm
ALDI Fayetteville, NC

3447 Ramsey Street
Fayetteville, NC 28311 More details
Map
Route
42.3 mi. Öffnungszeiten
Friday 9am - 8pm
Saturday 9am - 7pm
Sunday 12pm - 6pm

Old 07-17-2007, 09:57 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRainford View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to Garner NC and would greatly appreciate feedback on the following:

1. Do snakes, termites and mosquitos abound? I have a snake phobia and welcome all responses. Mosquitos are a no-no for my husband.

2. What is Garner like as a place to live in terms of amenities, entertainment, proximity to downtown, traffic, crime etc? Thanks for your f eedback
Before one can really answer your question, it would be good know from where you are coming and what your expectations are for a good life. Given that we don't know that information, I can try and offer some general guidance:
1.) Garner will likely feel more traditionally Southern than other towns around Raleigh. This is mainly due to the fact that it is further from RTP and has had less influence from new comers in the past decades. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is up to you.
2.) Garner is typically less expensive than other towns in Wake County and I think that has played out with less upscale shopping and dining choices so far. There isn't a mall in town and not one really close by (closest is Cary Towne Center I think). My general impression is that Garner is solidly American middle class and that is best exemplified by new large strip centers with all the typical big box stores, etc.
3. Garner is really close to downtown Raleigh and that might be its best attribute as downtown grows in stature and desirability. There are many parts of Garner that are actually closer to downtown Raleigh than many parts of Raleigh itself. Garner, southern Raleigh and Cary are connected via Tryon Rd (fron East to West) that essentially runs parallel to the South of I-40. This area is growing rapidly.
4. Garner is further away from the other Triangle cities: Durham and Chapel Hill. It is, however, closer to the beach since you don't have to travel through the bulk of Triangle traffic to get out of town on the weekends. This could cut your weekend jaunt by 30 minutes. From some parts of Garner, you could be on the beach in about 1 hour 45 minutes.

In conclusion, you will find Garner less sophisticated and more down home. You will find it less upscale and more "big box". You will find it a little less city and a little more country (in an Eastern NC sort of way). All of this is, of course, subject to rapid change should Garner catch fire the way that Cary did in the 80's and 90's. Whether that happens or not is yet to be seen.
I hope this helps.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:23 AM

Garner is still more sophisticated than most of the county directly to the south and east...

There is also a good (Wake Co.) public library in Garner and you can get a library card with a small fee even if you live outside Wake County (including the part of 27529 ZIP that is not in Wake). The library is usually not very crowded. It blows Johnston County's library system out of the water.

Cici's...thank Texas for Cici's. We've had Cici's for about 20 years. The one in Clayton is higher quality than most locations here. Kept very clean, for being a buffet pizza place that tends to cater to families with kids. I do like the fact that NC's restaurant sanitation scores are always posted where you can plainly see them.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:00 AM

2 posts, read 13,849 times
I live in Garner very close to the 401/70 split, behind Lowe's. Reading some particular comments on here (other threads) you'd think that I dodge bullets and have to shove crack dealers aside to get to my front door, which couldn't be further from the truth. I really like living where I do. It's quiet and peaceful, yet close to everything I need. It takes me 15 minutes to drive home from work if I get stuck in traffic.

That said, can we get a bookstore on this side of the county, please? That's my main gripe with Garner.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:28 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyHo View Post
I live in Garner very close to the 401/70 split, behind Lowe's. Reading some particular comments on here (other threads) you'd think that I dodge bullets and have to shove crack dealers aside to get to my front door, which couldn't be further from the truth. I really like living where I do. It's quiet and peaceful, yet close to everything I need.
I like the part of town behind the Lowes. It's the part in front of Lowes that I don't find very pretty.

To go to Home Depot, I come up north on 401 and cut behind Lowes on Grovemont, and then go north on Timber. So do you live in Greenbrier Estates?

What is your impression of the restaurants in the area? We went looking for a place to have a quick lunch (no waitress) this past weekend and all we could find was fast food.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:37 PM

Ragazzi's Italian Restaurant on 70 will make you wonder why you ever went into an Olive Garden...one of their cooks seems to get happy with the garlic, but I can hang...best Italian restaurant in NC I've been to - not the best ever though. The best value, perhaps.

There is a Ragazzi's on Glenwood Avenue in Raleigh as well. There is also the Mayflower Seafood Restaurant (like the one on Capitol Blvd. in NE Raleigh) but I haven't eaten at that location - just the Raleigh one. I reckon I'd shove just as many scallops and clam strips into my face at the Garner location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary