Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 06:12 AM

54 posts, read 152,816 times

Advertisements

We're relocating for my husband's job (in RTP) and was wondering if anyone could give me a real-life guesstimate for a commute to/from:

Briar Chapel subdivision in North Chatham County to RTP

and/or

Churton Grove subdivision in Hillsborough (Orange County) to RTP?

Of course the distances look reasonable on the map, but I know how that can be deceptive. I'd rather my husband didn't have to commute more than 35 minutes, and don't know if that rules out Briar Chapel.

He tends to leave for work by 7:00am, if that helps with commute times.

And I assume that if I am looking for a job at Duke or UNC, hands-down the choice should be Hillsborough, but there's a lot we like about Briar Chapel so we're not certain yet.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 06:56 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Leaving at 7:00 should avoid almost any traffic slow downs on either commmute - so the times you see estimated by a site like Google Maps should be reasonably accurate.

If you drive at times when traffic is an issue, the commute from Briar Chapel will be more greatly affected than the one from Churton Grove.

I don't agree with your assessment that if working at UNC the choice should be Hillsborough hands down (from a commuting perspective). I think either would reasonable. For Duke I probably would agree with you.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:41 AM

305 posts, read 761,126 times
We were considering Briar Chapel -- I do love that development! But I drove the rush-hour commute a couple of times from where I work at Duke, and it came in at around 50 minutes. 15/501 is moving better now that it was expanded to 6 lanes between I-40 and the bypass, but it's still really stop and go through Chapel Hill. That is what knocked it out of contention for us. I'd guess it's around 30 min to RTP, which is around what you'd have from Hillsborough as well. As the pp said, either would be totally fine if you worked at UNC, but BC -> Duke would be rough, in my opinion.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:45 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,964 times
You are looking at 40+ minutes from Briar Chapel assuming minimal traffic, which will be rare. And it could get much worse if the Obey Creek development gets greenlighted. You'll hit three clogs which could add 20+ minutes to the commute (although unlikely at 7 am), 15-501 going into UNC, the stoplight going into St Thomas Moore on 54, and then getting onto 40 from 54. I personally would not want this commute.

Probably a similar commute time from Churton Grove, although traffic will likely not be a problem coming from that direction. US70 can back up near the I85 merge, but if that is an issue at the time you guys commute in there are several alternative routes to avoid congestion.

Bottom line is both places are going to leave you with kind of crappy commutes. I'd certainly prefer something on the south side of Hillsborough, and living in an area of western Durham between 85 and 40 would be much more convenient location.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,680 times
There are back roads you can take from Briar Chapel over to 751 near Southpoint Mall which avoid the Chapel Hill traffic, and then you're only on 40 for a few exits to get to RTP.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:05 PM

55 posts, read 144,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvano View Post
There are back roads you can take from Briar Chapel over to 751 near Southpoint Mall which avoid the Chapel Hill traffic, and then you're only on 40 for a few exits to get to RTP.
This is what I was going post. When we live on the south side of CH, my husband took these back roads daily to avoid the traffic.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:59 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvano View Post
....and you don't even have to get onto 40 at all. 751>Fayetteville St>Massey Chapel (aka Barbee) to the Shell Station at 54. Right on 54 and left onto TW Alexander into RTP. That's how I do it every day, coming from Sanford Area.

but if you leave at 7AM, then traffic WILL be an issue. I get to work at 7 and it's not too bad, but if I come in at 730, there is a noticeable difference. You can leave up to 4:30 and it's usually smooth sailing. Another 10 minutes and it's horrible to get out of RTP.

I don't know the other place, but Briar Chapel is a nice development, a great area, and close (enough) to a lot of things. I would LOVE to live there.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:05 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
....and you don't even have to get onto 40 at all.
I don't see much reason to avoid I-40 eastbound during the morning if it's a reasonable part of one's commute - I drive it daily and rarely have any slowdowns from Chapel Hill through RTP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary