Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 09:00 PM

18,091 posts, read 15,670,593 times

Advertisements

my 'panic' item is ice cream or something sweet. If I have that in the house then I'm good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 06:23 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
As I recall, the 2005 storm was a one-day event and it only affected those actually caught in traffic that day. Maybe you mean the 2002 ice storm, where power was out for several days? I think 2005 was a pretty "non-event" winter other than that freak Jan 19 afternoon snow.

And as people say, it's not the snow itself, it's the days afterwards, if you're trapped at home. AND, like many "sociological phenomena", there is the knowledge that "many people are going to freak out and buy milk, so if I am going to want milk, I'd better buy it now before they run out", which of course just fuels the "frenzy" even more.
Ah, I think so! I thought that was the 2005 one. I didn't get here until 2007. But definitely the one where people were sleeping in their offices and couldn't get home

Old 01-09-2011, 06:31 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
In 2005, people were sleeping in their offices and couldn't drive on the roads, but everybody had power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Ah, I think so! I thought that was the 2005 one. I didn't get here until 2007. But definitely the one where people were sleeping in their offices and couldn't get home

Old 01-09-2011, 08:38 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Well, that would be 2005, but again, it was because of traffic gridlock, really, more than a big storm. The snow was over pretty quickly. It was due to timing more than to the event itself, which would have been unremarkable if it hadn't happened in early afternoon and sent everyone home from work/school at the same time.

Ice storms are nothing to take lightly, though, and we get a lot of them here, though it's been awhile since we had one to the degree of what it sounds like is coming Monday and Tuesday. Not looking forward to the next few days.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:21 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
It's funny how this appears to be a regional phenomanon. When I lived in N.J., the local ShopRite would be a madhouse whenever a storm was predicted. People would be tossing bread, milk and canned goods into their carts as if the store were about to run out.

It was silly, really, because even following a particularly memorable blizzard that occurred in 1995, most of the roads were plowed within 2 days.

Now I live in the Northeast, not far from the Canadian border, and people don't panic, even when we're expecting a foot of snow. I've noticed some people stocking up on beer and Red Box DVDs, but the stores aren't much busier than usual.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:49 AM

18,091 posts, read 15,670,593 times
and if you're a woman...you def. want to keep some chocolate nearby in case you can't get to a store for several days. I mean sure, milk is nice and all, but once a craving for chocolate sets in, it can get UGLY.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:38 AM

85 posts, read 123,900 times
This afternoon I am going to the grocery store! Like I said to the GS leader about snow in the triangle..”I am not afraid to drive in it but I am afraid of other people’s snow driving skills!”

Old 01-09-2011, 10:39 AM

85 posts, read 123,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
It's funny how this appears to be a regional phenomanon. When I lived in N.J., the local ShopRite would be a madhouse whenever a storm was predicted. People would be tossing bread, milk and canned goods into their carts as if the store were about to run out.

It was silly, really, because even following a particularly memorable blizzard that occurred in 1995, most of the roads were plowed within 2 days.

Now I live in the Northeast, not far from the Canadian border, and people don't panic, even when we're expecting a foot of snow. I've noticed some people stocking up on beer and Red Box DVDs, but the stores aren't much busier than usual.

LOL...I remember that too in NJ. Also many people like my poor dad, really didn’t need to go to the store. They just liked going to the store for the excitement of it all...

Old 01-09-2011, 10:51 AM

645 posts, read 1,503,694 times
Been out all over Fuquay, nothing is crowded even the walmart and kroger had a whole lotta bread and milk on the shelves. Heck Home depot had shovels and ice melt.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:56 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
Once again, a big difference (one of many) between NC and NJ is that NC has nowhere near the snow-clearing equipment as Northern states and "most of the roads" will not be plowed within two days--at least not the secondary roads where people tend to live (doesn't matter what the highways are like if the mile directly out of your driveway is solid ice). Also, this particular storm is going to be mostly ice, not snow, which again is a phenomenon common to this particular area. I might suggest that someone who doesn't even live in NC (and never has?) not be so quick to judge the way people here react to our weather, given our capacity for snow-removal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary