Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 06:08 PM

460 posts, read 1,769,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlSunny83 View Post
I must admit I was disappointed in the amount of contemporary options.
They can order just about anything you want. All you have to do is ask.

I'm a big fan of Palechek furniture, but FLS only has a few accessories on the floor. If you go to the sales area they have the Palecheck catelog and just pick out the items you need.

It helps to have a specific idea of what you're looking for when you go in re: manufacturers, that way the sales people can point you in the right direction.

I"m not sure how much more 'contemporary' you want...for me, it was a lot of contemporary, and not enough mid-century modern or 'eco-friendly' stuff. "Contemporay" is 'where I was last year'..it's time for a change

If you want 'major' deals, head to the clearance center, or look for red tags in the main center. Other than that you'll certainly pay far less than retail, but keep in mind it's current catalog, brand name (and in some cases special order items), so you're not going to get 40% off retail. Let's keep it real...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 06:53 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlSunny83 View Post
I recently moved from Orlando (right before the new Ikea opened )
There's an Ikea in Orlando?!?!?!

Wow, right after I left

Old 11-13-2007, 07:11 PM

331 posts, read 1,126,564 times
Ikea makes crappy furnishings that are appropriate for college students. Adults should buy quality furniture.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:36 PM

331 posts, read 1,126,564 times
My preferences aside, Ikea really does make stylish, low quality, cheap crap.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:35 AM

133 posts, read 587,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
Ikea makes crappy furnishings that are appropriate for college students. Adults should buy quality furniture.
Adults should buy furniture they can afford. Also, I wouldn't say ikea makes crappy furniture. I bought 2 dressers from them 4 or 5 years ago and they still look brand new! Cost me no more than $300 for both. My bed frame cost me $200 and its been with me for at least four years. They have also moved with me four times and still look brand new after all that.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:48 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,627 times
I've found that IKEA's cheap stuff is definitely crap quality-wise, but their higher-end items can be quite good. It's hit or miss. I tend like the fact that I can buy inexpensive furniture that looks good and I can get rid of if I decide I don't like it or it gets ruined by something.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:42 AM

460 posts, read 1,769,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
I've found that IKEA's cheap stuff is definitely crap quality-wise, but their higher-end items can be quite good. It's hit or miss. I tend like the fact that I can buy inexpensive furniture that looks good and I can get rid of if I decide I don't like it or it gets ruined by something.
Like many stores, there's good and bad. Once you've been to an Ikea, you can kind of 'tell' the quality from looking at the catalog. I wouldn't recommend buying sight unseen for people who've never been into a store.

Ikea has its good points, and they get mega bonuses for their eco policy.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:28 AM

351 posts, read 1,194,207 times
Since this has become more of a furniture thread, thought I would share a recent post by Grace on her awesome blog designspongeonline.com. She has a whole design guide for Charlotte. Might be all worth a big design trip when IKEA comes if not sooner.

Design*Sponge » Blog Archive » charlotte, nc design guide

Old 11-14-2007, 11:44 AM

153 posts, read 459,882 times
I do have to say we bought the Ektorp sofa & chair from Ikea and its not so great. Its about 5 yrs old...I thought it was a cheap alternative to a Pottery Barn slipcover look. Its in the bonus room and we are letting the kids slowly kill it off for good. The zippers on the slipcovers broke after about a yr and the seat cushion are very thin. I'll stick to the kids stuff or gadgets...

Old 11-14-2007, 11:46 AM

153 posts, read 459,882 times
BUT....the Ektorp storage ottomans are awesome...those are keepers!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary