Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 01:43 PM

133 posts, read 587,209 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any plans to build one around here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 01:44 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,732 times
Theres a rumor they are going to build one in Charlotte. I also heard one in VA that would be accessible to the folks in Greensboro.

Why they dont build one in Raleigh is BEYOND me!!!

However, you can find a few things of Ikea on craigslist.org. I have never been to Ikea in my life but I have ALOT of Ikea furniture in my home thanks to craigslist!

Old 07-16-2007, 01:45 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
No plans or announcements that I can find, but plenty of results on Google from RDU folks wanting an Ikea. I'd be surprised if there wasn't one in a couple years.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:47 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,895 times
I think it was officially announced about 6 months ago that they're building one in Charlotte. Between that one & the location in Virginia, I think it will be quite a while before the Triangle gets its own Ikea.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:55 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/ikny_splash.html (broken link)

Here are all the current and planned locations.

There are three in Texas, so two in NC is not out of the question...eventually. They ought to open one around RDU/RTP - that location is only logical.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:56 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,723,689 times
I would say more like three years before the Triangle gets one. Unless you're a mall developer or landowner, it's hard to know where their going to build or what their plans are for a area. There's a mall developer down in Jacksonville, Florida that said a couple of months ago in a newspaper article that Ikea approached him and said they were interested in building a store in the Jacksonville, FL metro area but at the same time Ikea has not made its plans for this particular area known to the public, which they wont until they have a firm deal in place. The example above is a perfect example of how these things come about. So just b/c you don't hear anything officially from the company doesn't mean that there aren't discussions that are taking place or that have taken place.

Last edited by he's so hott; 07-16-2007 at 02:05 PM..

Old 07-16-2007, 02:08 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
I have never been to Ikea in my life but I have ALOT of Ikea furniture in my home thanks to craigslist!
The Ikea stores are something that, if I were to describe it to you, it would be very difficult to imagine. They're not like any other store I've ever been in. I would be so happy if one ended up in the Triangle. You can literally outfit an entire home in that store, they have everything from batteries to the kitchen sink, to bed linens and decor - yes, they even have the kitchen sink as well.

I think the Triangle area would be a great market for one. I've got my fingers crossed.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:24 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Here link to information about the Ikea store in charlotte
http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte...tml?from_rss=1

Old 07-16-2007, 08:39 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
The Ikea stores are something that, if I were to describe it to you, it would be very difficult to imagine. They're not like any other store I've ever been in. I would be so happy if one ended up in the Triangle. You can literally outfit an entire home in that store, they have everything from batteries to the kitchen sink, to bed linens and decor - yes, they even have the kitchen sink as well.

I think the Triangle area would be a great market for one. I've got my fingers crossed.
Oh that just made me so happy...I might have to plan a roadtrip!!!

Speaking of which, I think the new Ikea catalog is available!

Old 07-16-2007, 08:48 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
OK, am I the only one who doesn't care for IKEA and am glad they aren't coming to RDU? We went there last year after a trip to Baltimore (after being told I MUST MUST MUST stop by IKEA on the way) and I have never seen so much cheap junk in my life! It may be cute and trendy, but quality wise, the stuff is not on the radar. In fact, the one thing we bought there (a featherbed/duvet thingy) started coming apart after one wash.
I might buy it for kids stuff though because it's cute and doesn't last long anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary