U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 02:08 PM

23,654 posts, read 19,213,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I have to pick up the paper earlier in the morning.

SO... AdvanceED refused the board's conditions and said they're going to do the review anyway, whether they like it or not, and the only way for the board to avoid a review is for them to end membership:

Accreditation agency will visit Wake schools next month - Education - NewsObserver.com

So this week's cliffhanger, instead, is: Will Ron and his friends terminate this important relationship? Or will they put all Wake students in jeopardy of not being accepted to top tier universities or having to 'splain the whole mess to admissions counselors elsewhere?

Stay tuned!
Splain is the key thing and they can't at this point pull off an orderly withdrawal from the process. The school that could really suffer is Enloe.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:31 PM

6,061 posts, read 9,047,174 times
Why Enloe?

Wouldn't any school with students going to college (top tier or not) similarly suffer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Splain is the key thing and they can't at this point pull off an orderly withdrawal from the process. The school that could really suffer is Enloe.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:35 PM

3,599 posts, read 3,862,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
I crashed a meeting at Carpenter Village where Margiotta and Prickett (the rep for that 'hood) were the guests of honor. They truly do seem like reasonable albeit very frustrated people (who are making my life hell and completely contradicting their own commitments in the process of reassigning CV, but that's not for this thread). It seemed pretty clear that he was leaning towards running again.
And to think...the folks who voted for him simply were tired of their kids being either redistricted due to growth in their area or b/c their schools were over capacity and their kids had to travel further to the nearest school with availability. I don't think anyone wanted this train wreck to happen! It will be a happy day when we see the back of these folks' heads as they walk away from our school system.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:39 PM

6,061 posts, read 9,047,174 times
Another cliffhanger...accreditation group says no to conditions. Now it's in Wake's court to withdraw or not. The accreditation group says they've never worked with any system so difficult...

Accreditation agency not on board with Wake | abc11.com

Old 01-14-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Why Enloe?

Wouldn't any school with students going to college (top tier or not) similarly suffer?
Isn't Enloe a target for considerable redistricting if they send students back to their home school? Years ago there was a provision with accreditation that a change of I believe 25% or more in student population due to redistricting could require a revised status/progress report from the association. Enloe has a national reputation and if accreditation is pulled along with a significant change in test scores that could really impact them in college admissions. Let their SAT scores drop several hundred points with no accreditation and the question becomes what is left of a quality education program.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Another cliffhanger...accreditation group says no to conditions. Now it's in Wake's court to withdraw or not. The accreditation group says they've never worked with any system so difficult...

Accreditation agency not on board with Wake | abc11.com
I truly can believe they feel that way and can understand why. They are not dealing with educators but rather disgruntled elected officials.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:58 PM

1,832 posts, read 2,989,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I truly can believe they feel that way and can understand why. They are not dealing with educators but rather disgruntled elected officials.
Yes. Reason #4,597,234 why school board members should be educators (who have a clue what accreditation is any why it exists). Maybe if we told them "your boss's boss from corporate headquarters would like to come in an review everyone, and wants to make sure this office is running according to corporate bylaws, standards, and policies."

Old 01-15-2011, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
I'm more surprized that the Washington Post is even interested in Wake County schools
If they weren't following our new superintend selection would have done it. Considering he has a national commentary profile and he came from DC and the probably asked folks in DC about him and got the same answer I did.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Yes. Reason #4,597,234 why school board members should be educators (who have a clue what accreditation is any why it exists). Maybe if we told them "your boss's boss from corporate headquarters would like to come in an review everyone, and wants to make sure this office is running according to corporate bylaws, standards, and policies."
Either educators or folks with a history of working with schools as parents or community members. That way you have something to evaluate them on other than their ability to say NO! After saying no what next? I think folks are finding out from this board that their isn't much to follow.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:59 AM

8,398 posts, read 12,090,307 times
Quote:
Yes. Reason #4,597,234 why school board members should be educators.
God no - the industry is incestuous enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary