Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 12:41 PM

9 posts, read 16,374 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody, I am an upcoming graduate from Radford University in VA. I am looking at different police departments to apply for. I am looking at larger departments staying south of where I am from. This brings me to some of largest departments in NC. Currently I am looking at both Raleigh and Durham Departments, but I am open to others if you have information on good departments around the area. As most people would assume the departments give the same spiel about how they do everything and all of their officers are top notch, but I want to hear your opinions on the department to help make my decision. Do the officers get involved in the community? Do you feel they are adequate in solving crimes? Also, according to most stats Raleigh has a lower crime rate per capita then Durham. Is this correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 03:25 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
You can check crime stats and see for yourself about crime stats in Raleigh and in Durham.

I live in Raleigh, and I LOVE our local police. They are involved in the community and are quite responsive. I am very grateful for their service.

Re Durham's police force, a friend of mine is a police officer there. He says, "I like Durham because I can use all my skills!" I've never heard him complain about the department. If they have more like him on the force, I'd say they hired topnotch people. Just like in Raleigh.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 01-14-2011 at 03:44 PM..

Old 01-15-2011, 08:13 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Each dept has its own challenges. Raleigh has a long-standing reputation for having high calibre officers. Of course like any dept, there are going to be some that slip under the radar. I do see changes in the types of individuals now being hired by Raleigh compared to years ago. I'm not saying this is good or bad, just different - the dept has evolved and grown.

There was a time when a strong candidate would never have considered Durham if they'd have had a chance to work for RPD. That's changing...slowly. In Durham, there are more "zones" (not sure if they use that exact term?) where, if you like action, you'll find it. Potentially you could get more "street level" experience in Durham.

I wonder too, if Durham PD's operating budget is less than Raleigh PD's? This may not be the case but worth looking into as with any dept you want to know what you'd be supplied vs having to buy yourself. For years cops I knew joked about Durham being so rough that the bad guys stole the hubcaps off the police cars! I saw a DPD car a while back that was missing hubcaps and I had to chuckle.

Durham has changed a lot over the years. While it used to have a bad rep for issues of crime, this was in concentrated areas. Many, not all, of its officers were not the pick of the litter. leadership was ill-prepared for the job. It's kinda like the chicken and egg quandry- which came first...lower calibre officers, or hi crime- not enough well trained/equipped officers?

So, things have changed. Chief Lopez is respected, brought a higher level of professionalism to the dept. He had hired some quality officers. Hopefully he's gotten rid of some dead wood. Their profile is improving. I'd say it's a great dept for someone who really wants to be a cop rather than in love with the idea of being one. You'd get great experience and perhaps more of a chance to shine than in Raleigh as RPD has many long time, experienced, quality officer in line for advancement.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:10 AM

915 posts, read 2,381,626 times
@RaleighLass-
Wow, talk about ignorant. Cop cars in Durham don't come with hub caps. Most cop cars don't. They get in the way of servicing the vehicle.

Durham's a great place to live. The crime rate is below the NC average, so it really isn't a "high crime" place. The police department here has good starting pay, but I do know that a lot of officers complain about pay compression. I.e. the starting wage has gone up each year, but the Cpl and Sgt pay hasn't gone up by the same percentage, so you get more responsibilities but not a huge increase in pay.

Durham's department is also very well respected. They've been CALEA accredited for more than few years now.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:09 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
As I read the RaleighLass post, the officers JOKED about hub caps! That means they were saying it to make people laugh, and it was understood it was not based on reality! I don't see any ignorance in that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
@RaleighLass-
Wow, talk about ignorant. Cop cars in Durham don't come with hub caps. Most cop cars don't. They get in the way of servicing the vehicle.

Durham's a great place to live. The crime rate is below the NC average, so it really isn't a "high crime" place. The police department here has good starting pay, but I do know that a lot of officers complain about pay compression. I.e. the starting wage has gone up each year, but the Cpl and Sgt pay hasn't gone up by the same percentage, so you get more responsibilities but not a huge increase in pay.

Durham's department is also very well respected. They've been CALEA accredited for more than few years now.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:15 AM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
I've had great experience with the Raleigh Police Department. When I've needed them, they went above and beyond the call of duty. I have no experience with Durham. There are long standing jokes and stereotypes about Durham and it's crime. No one should take it too personally. I live in Garner, lord knows I hear gobs about Garner and how ghetto we are.

FWIW, lots police cars have hub caps.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:10 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
@RaleighLass-

Peperoberto - how long have you lived in the triangle? What I shared goes back to the 70's and forward to the present.

Sounds like I touched a nerve? I am not ignorant, but you may be of our history which I shared to illustrate the misconceptions and evolution of both depts. My comments were based on what I know and have been told by cops from both depts.

As for "cop cars" or squad cars not having hubcaps as they get in the way of servicing, this is the triangle, not NASCAR! I was saying that some cops joked about this re: Durham...they have for years. This is not what "I" said, or made up, I was quoting cops who were having a laugh about it. How does this make me ignorant? What I didn't say is that the last time I heard this I was out at a sports bar with both Raleigh and Durham cops - they were each throwing barbs. Cops from different depts do this, it's friendly one-upmanship, a way to let off steam. Using your logic of leaving off hubcaps because they "get in the way", hey, while you are at it, remove the front doors, they just slow 'em down by having to open them each time they come and go.

BTW - I live in Raleigh, have Raleigh and Durham cops living in my neighborhood. I think I saw hubcaps on the Durham cars, I know Raleigh has them too. Raleigh police chase suspect on I-40, I-540 - Traffic - NewsObserver.com

And, for the record, I have never criticised Durham for not being a great place to live. I love Durham! I think it has the best indy restaurants, it's artsy. Many of my good friends live there. It has a lot going for it. I think it's the place to watch. Look back at my old posts about this very topic...I always defend Durham when truly ignorant people post about the crime issues which they don't understand are not a wide spread problem. I have worked in Durham since the late 90's, I am very familiar with it. I used to promote it in the course of my work. You have me all wrong!

Old 01-15-2011, 11:21 PM

2,616 posts, read 3,144,625 times
Durham's PD has been through a lot of upheaval over the years & had some real troubles with controversial chiefs & actions of a few renegade officers. Yet, most of our cops on the street are OK. I think the average cop works hard for us & does his best.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:29 AM

119 posts, read 394,078 times
Durham's academy is apparently highly regarded in the state & very respected. It is time consuming...6 months, 8-12 hour days 5 days a week. Durham is a great place to live but I do know cops who commute from Cary & Raleigh to serve on DPD's force. The DPD has open houses very frequently..check it out. They give you info on the department as well as their hiring process & what to expect. (FYI it can take months to a year sometimes from application to actual hiring). Their academies usually run in February & August.
The city as a whole has had declining crime as others have stated however if you are relocating from a big city as we did the crime is very low comparatively anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary