Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the Wake County School Board is doing a good job?
Yes 23 28.40%
No 58 71.60%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:20 PM

351 posts, read 770,011 times

Advertisements

You need a third option simply titled:

They're doing the best they can considering the NAACP, a certain group of mayors, local media, and those who didn't vote for the new board members have been trying to undermine their every move from the moment the election results were final.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:01 PM

57 posts, read 69,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyenortheast View Post

They're doing the best they can considering the NAACP, a certain group of mayors, local media, and those who didn't vote for the new board members have been trying to undermine their every move from the moment the election results were final.
They are not willing to compromise and that is the biggest problem that exists. We will never have a system that most people are happy with if everyone wants it all their way.

Have people forgotten how to compromise?

Old 01-16-2011, 01:02 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
Quote:

Do you also get the feeling that the board is helping them succeed?

Old 01-16-2011, 01:29 PM

449 posts, read 699,416 times
Default Oh snap, Tuborg...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Do you also get the feeling that the board is helping them succeed?
To greatly paraphrase someone above, the board has mostly gotten into distractions instead of the children. They're about ideology and not children...

Old 01-16-2011, 01:46 PM

351 posts, read 770,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weblackey View Post
To greatly paraphrase someone above, the board has mostly gotten into distractions instead of the children. They're about ideology and not children...
And where did these distractions originate from? Who filed all these frivolous complaints? Who ran to the national media?

I don't like the position and public statements Meeker made regarding the new board members. Does that "entitle" me to take over his seat at the next meeting in protest or revert to civil disobedience?

Believe me, I don't think the board is perfect. But they were elected on some very valid points. And I support them more than the way a bunch of local yahoos responded to the election results.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:04 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,870,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weblackey View Post
And the previous board? No ideology there, huh?

Old 01-17-2011, 04:38 PM

766 posts, read 1,657,624 times
There was a good article on WRAL today where Mayor Meeker commented on the school board.

Meeker says Wake school board 'way off track' :: WRAL.com

Old 01-17-2011, 08:37 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,088,107 times
This post makes me sick.

Quote:
And where did these distractions originate from? Who filed all these frivolous complaints? Who ran to the national media?

I don't like the position and public statements Meeker made regarding the new board members. Does that "entitle" me to take over his seat at the next meeting in protest or revert to civil disobedience?

Believe me, I don't think the board is perfect. But they were elected on some very valid points. And I support them more than the way a bunch of local yahoos responded to the election results.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:05 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,124 times
"good" is the relative term. Good for the person on life support is getting through another day while good to a baseball player is batting 300 (getting a base hit 3 out of 10 times at bat). So, without a definition of 'good' I have a devil of a time formulating an opinion one way or another.

But I will leave you with three thoughts:

1. Is Wake County Public School system children learning more today than 20 years ago?

2.. Is there less or more disruption in classrooms today than 20 years ago?

3. Is social engineering of school systems promoting achievement or mediocrity?

If you can honestly answer / debate the above three questions you can than define 'good' into the context of the question put forward.

Our collective kids deserve the best we can provide them, I'm just not sure anymore if its 'good' enough......

We can bus them, we can house them in school buildings and trailers, we can keep them warm and cool, we can provide them reduced and free breakfast and lunch, we can provide safe after school programs and athletics, but are we providing them an EDUCATION?

Old 01-18-2011, 10:49 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
Quote:

Are you suggesting the board suffers from Attention Deficit Disorder and has limited ability to focus? Should they really be this easily distracted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary