Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the Wake County School Board is doing a good job?
Yes 23 28.40%
No 58 71.60%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:57 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
This isn't about Colbert, where he lives, or what schools his kids go to.
The sad fact is that a national comedy show has delivered more facts and background around the issue in a snide satire than the local reporting has.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:01 PM

767 posts, read 1,847,967 times
I just read that Debra Goldman is backing the accreditation review of the board...woo hoo! I guess that would be the majority that supports it now.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:04 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
So somebody who is neither from this area nor has kids in the WCPSS cannot have an opinion?

Where did Ron Margiotta's children go to school? Oh, that's right, New Jersey.

I think that you are missing the point.
He is a satyrist and is trying to get a rise/laugh for his audience, which is overwhelmingly democratic.
But, in reality, he lives in a tony neighborhood and is probably sending his kid to a private school.
Maybe ol Steve will be willing to put up his money to send a few kids from lower Montclair to a local private school. I vote for Montclair Kimberly Academy.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:24 PM

519 posts, read 981,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
I think that you are missing the point.
He is a satyrist and is trying to get a rise/laugh for his audience, which is overwhelmingly democratic.
But, in reality, he lives in a tony neighborhood and is probably sending his kid to a private school.
Maybe ol Steve will be willing to put up his money to send a few kids from lower Montclair to a local private school. I vote for Montclair Kimberly Academy.
Nope, didn't miss the attempt at a point at all.

Just because Stephen Colbert is a satirist doesn't mean he doesn't make valid points. I didn't realize that a satirist had to be from a certain background and could only have an audience of an apolitical nature.

But if Stephen Colbert and his perfect rant on this debacle is so inane because he sends his kids to private school and has a mostly young, college-educated, left-leaning audience, why do you care so much about what he says?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:30 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,601 times
Quote:
Nope, didn't miss the attempt at a point at all.

Just because Stephen Colbert is a satirist doesn't mean he doesn't make valid points. I didn't realize that a satirist had to be from a certain background and could only have an audience of an apolitical nature.

But if Stephen Colbert and his perfect rant on this debacle is so inane because he sends his kids to private school and has a mostly young, college-educated, left-leaning audience, why do you care so much about what he says?

Firstly, I don't take what he said as having any merit. He did it because it was an easy topic for his audience to get behind, even if they have no idea what is truly going on.
At the end of the day though, wouldn't he be considered a hypocrite. He is railing against a neighborhood school model because it would cause under-privileged kids to go to school in their neighborhoods....hmmm seems just like Steven Colbert's neighborhood.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:02 PM

351 posts, read 770,294 times
Quote:
So somebody who is neither from this area nor has kids in the WCPSS cannot have an opinion?

Where did Ron Margiotta's children go to school? Oh, that's right, New Jersey.
My point is that Montclair (and I know a thing or two about Montclair and Essex County, NJ) is an affluent community of a little over 30k residents with about 6500 students in its schools. It's bordered by a few less affluent communities. Guess what? The kids from these neighboring, less affluent communities are not allowed to attend Montclair schools.

Now, if I had seen this comedian actually used his celebrity status to advocate that Montclair, Essex County, and the State of NJ institute a diversity policy similar to Wake County, I might think his stunt had a tiny little bit of merit.

And, since he didn't make mention of them, I have to believe the news about other issues facing WCPSS didn't make it to his desk.
1 - a serious budget crisis
2 - judging by statistics, economically disadvantaged students are performing below the NC state average and neighboring school districts

So, looking at it in that light, I don't see it as him voicing his opinion. Rather, it's a hypocritical rant giving a lot of folks outside Wake County an incomplete picture.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:18 PM

351 posts, read 770,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Firstly, I don't take what he said as having any merit. He did it because it was an easy topic for his audience to get behind, even if they have no idea what is truly going on.
At the end of the day though, wouldn't he be considered a hypocrite. He is railing against a neighborhood school model because it would cause under-privileged kids to go to school in their neighborhoods....hmmm seems just like Steven Colbert's neighborhood.
Tried to rep ya - but it told me I have to put a little diversity in spreading the points.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:12 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post

1. Is Wake County Public School system children learning more today than 20 years ago?
This reminded me of a wonderful quote:

"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" - George W. Bush.

Colbert was brilliant as always. He shines a light on a topic and sums it up in a hilarious yet accurate way. Some in Wake County want to go backwards. They think it will be easier than progressing forward. I'm not sure if it's easier, but I know progress is unceasing and Tedesco and cronies will be on their way out soon (but not soon enough).

Old 01-19-2011, 10:26 PM

142 posts, read 283,801 times
Fake news shows and bickering sides of the opposition put aside for a moment, are there any good examples other than Monclair that we can look at to help us see the effects of neighborhood schools versus integrated schools? That might be of some use, to see how other counties are doing it and what is working or not working.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:54 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merboy View Post
Fake news shows and bickering sides of the opposition put aside for a moment, are there any good examples other than Monclair that we can look at to help us see the effects of neighborhood schools versus integrated schools? That might be of some use, to see how other counties are doing it and what is working or not working.
New Jersey is built on local city governement and taxing authorities unlike North Carolina which is a county based system. You really can't compare how a county there and a county here operate. Your services there are city based and here county based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary