Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 01:02 PM

84 posts, read 166,881 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are an Asian muslim family that are thinking of moving to North Carolina. We'd like opinions on what you think will be a good place/fit for our situation and what we are looking for and not looking for. I will list a few things and hope to hear your opinion on the matter.

A little about us: A family medicine doctor who is single but may get married this year. His parents will be living with him. I am considering living near him (I am also in the medical field and am his sibling.) We are moderately religious but he does have a beard so people often recognize him as muslim. We currently live in Ohio but we grew up in Miami, Florida.

A little about where we live now: We live in a small city in Ohio, near Michigan. The issue here is one, it snows quite a bit and is cloudy much of the winter. Growing up in Miami, we'd like to see more sun, but we also like cold weather and a change of seasons. The other thing is, everything seems to close by 5PM here. So if we want to do something after work, we have to drive to Michigan about an hour away from our city. We dont expect it to be like Miami, but this is like the opposite end of the spectrum.

What we'd like to find: A place with all the seasons. A place that isnt just all flat preferably (though not a necessity). We prefer city life but being just outside a large city isnt so bad either (meaning the burbs). Being from Miami it rained a lot in summer so thats not an issue. We dont want to deal with high-level snow on the roads every winter. Southern Michigan has a lot of potholes on the road, that's something we also dont want to deal with all the time. We like to be near the ocean if possible, meaning not more than 2 hours away from the ocean. We'd like a place with excellent private schools. Housing in the 500K or less range. Housing where your neighbor cant hear you slam your own doors but close enough to walk to if you need to borrow some sugar. We are into organic foods/items so such grocers will be nice to be closer as opposed to farther. We like to have a place to go to after work to meet with coworkers or friends, that's open till midnite (if possible). I dont mean clubs or bars specifically, maybe a lounge or restaurant that is open late. Most of our friends currently are fellow doctors and their spouses, but thats because its just who you happen to meet at work. We like parks and road-trips, museums and conventions/trade-shows, whether they be religious or auto/boat shows, business related, botanical, etc. We watch football but we can get that on television. We'd like an area that has a sizeable asian community, where we wouldnt stick-out everywhere we went.

Any recommendations? I can answer questions if asked if you need to know more information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 01:24 PM

862 posts, read 3,548,232 times
As-salamu-alaikum,

I think Raleigh would work well for your family. Cary is also a possibility, but is a little more of a slower pace that may have a little less of what you want. However, Raleigh is next door if you may want to drive to take advantage of more activities. I think you may find plenty of like minded social circles to connect to in either city.

The one thing I think may be an issue is finding somewhere to hang out up to midnight that isn't alcohol related. Alcohol is big in this area and you'll find it served almost everywhere so even if it isn't a bar, many times it'll have a bar like atmosphere. My husband has a friend that used to sell at the Raleigh masjid and he says that it is common for them to hang out there late into the night playing basketball and engaging in other recreational activities. This was in the summer, so I'm not sure if they do it all year long.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:15 PM

wa alaikum Salam,

Thank you for the reply. If I may ask (you or others here), is there a reason several people on this board seem to prefer Chapel Hill over Raleigh? Also, why do you feel Raleigh is a better fit for us as opposted to CH or Durham?

Thanks.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:41 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,430 times
You will find better Asian grocery stores (grand asia and toyo) in Cary as opposed to Raleigh. Raleigh will offer you more in the way of things to do, but as mentioned, most places promote alcohol (but you certainly don't have to drink)

My hubby is japanese and we dont drink, but then we pretty much stay at home and are anti social, anyways LOL

Chapel Hill is nice, but I can't comment on any asian stores there. there may be some, but I don't know of them since we don't go out that far much.

You would probably enjoy the climate here as we definitely have seasons and even when we get snow in the winter, compared to up north, its not much (though often times enough to shut everything down).

Old 01-15-2011, 06:33 PM

LOL @ antisocial. Is there a reason for that in particular or you just prefer it that way?

I was just reading about Cary. What is considered the best neighborhood in Cary with best private and public school system? Other threads seem to point to Chapel Hill as having the best public schools.

It seems like Cary has a large percentage of Asian population compared to other surrounding areas, which is a plus. I also read that most residents in Cary are transplants from other areas and not native NC'ers. Which city has a larger medical population in terms of doctors, if anyone knows? Not that we are particularly seeking that, just curious.

Any other insights will be helpful.

Thanks.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:41 PM

862 posts, read 3,548,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianGal View Post
wa alaikum Salam,

Thank you for the reply. If I may ask (you or others here), is there a reason several people on this board seem to prefer Chapel Hill over Raleigh? Also, why do you feel Raleigh is a better fit for us as opposted to CH or Durham?

Thanks.
I don't find that people here prefer Chapel Hill over Raleigh. I've been around CD for awhile and honestly don't get that vibe. The main reason I've heard the preference for CH is the schools. CH is the most expensive part of the Triangle and you can get much more for your money in other areas that are just as nice. Many are willing to accept the cost in exchange for the good schools.

Also, like the pp said, Raleigh seems to have more of the events you enjoy and would be held at the Fairgrounds. In addition to that, there is a large and established Muslim community in Raleigh. Cary's isn't as large, but it is growing with people of similar socio-economic background such as yourself. Also, the majority of the communities consist of immigrants with a sizable number of Indo-Pakistani origin.

As for Durham, the communities are more indigenous with a larger number of reverts. There would probably be more of a cultural difference and more than likely a difference in methodology. I'm not saying that you wouldn't be welcomed there, but you said you wanted a sizable Asian community. In CH, I've heard is in the process of trying to get a masjid, but their community is still in its infancy.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:26 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
If you are in a small town now, anywhere in the triangle will work for you. You'll find docs spread out across the triangle (Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill). There are concentrations in Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, North Raleigh. Sorry to seem obvious but, you will want to first focus on finding the jobs and from there decide where you want to live. You want your work to be closest to your house. All the other stuff, Mosque, stores, etc, where you may not go as often, can be across or in the next town if needed.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:57 PM

65 posts, read 191,933 times
I think you would like North Raleigh. It has what you want in housing, more interesting landscape, lots of private schools.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:32 PM

My brother wants to find a place where he can either apply to a group practise or where he can start a private practise (in which case he doesnt need to find a job first). My situation is different from his in that I am looking for a city where I can do clinicals(not a job as I am still in school). Therefore my only requirement is the city have a hospital and some of the other things I mentioned. Since I am still in school I wanted a place I can socialize a bit as well as a student , whereas he needs a place with good schooling, etc as he plans to marry soon. Therefore although we are looking at slightly different things, we still want to be in the same region. Which is why the feedback here can be useful.

What areas in North Raleigh in particular? If you can name some. Another question I have is, which city has the best public transportation?

Thanks for the replies.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:40 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
First of all, why are you doing all the looking for a brother who is professional enough to find his own job? Seems very odd. Why are you not doing your own thing as far as school/clinicals etc?
Second, you'd be fine in any of the areas: Raleigh, Durham or Chapel Hill. None have exemplary public transportation and all have plenty of Asians and Muslims.
Have you thought about the visiting the area and looking for yourself? You can hit all 4 areas in one day. It's not that big of an area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary