U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 11:59 AM

3 posts, read 7,917 times
Default Union carpenter thinking of moving to Triangle

My husband and I are thinking of relocating to NC from NY. He is currently in the Carpenters Union in NYC, can you transfer to NC? Are there union construction jobs? Is there a waiting list? i know the union is in Lexington but we don't want to live there. We want to live in the triangle. How far is the commute?

We have a 3yr old and want good schools and we can spend $250+ on a house.

Thanks

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-23-2011 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: Included information from another thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 01:10 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,068,140 times
Lexington is closer to Charlotte than Raleigh.

Unions are not as big here as they are up north, I would probably talk to your union rep, they would probably have more info regarding union jobs here.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:08 PM

44 posts, read 69,548 times
One of the reasons why corporations love The South is that The South hates unions.

I have noticed a drop in workmanship quality since moving to The South, particularly in the Fayetteville area.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-23-2011 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: Deleted inappropriate comments.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:15 PM

8,256 posts, read 14,711,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinThePennant View Post
One of the reasons why corporations love The South is that The South hates unions.

I have noticed a drop in workmanship quality since moving to The South, particularly in the Fayetteville area.
Exactly the issue.

If you have a decent union job, stay out of the right to work (for less) states.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-23-2011 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 01-23-2011, 05:27 PM

421 posts, read 589,326 times
Definitely speak to the Union but I would gear up for a 50% wage reduction. My wife is a RN from NY and after 5 years she's finally making what she did up north. Unions are just not that visible here.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:41 AM

841 posts, read 908,190 times
I still hold my book at a NJ Carpenters Local. There is very little union work in the south. Some Fed work, highly skilled "clean rooms" lab stuff. There are also a few union "shops" around. Like mass producing cabinets or some other manafacturing plant type place....and just a few. Last I checked the BA in Lexington wouldnt put on outsiders since there wasnt even enough work for locals...

OTOH A skilled Journeyman should have no problem finding a decent job here. Just wont be Union.

I shoulda went to Hawaii in '86 when they were begging for carpenters from the east coast to move out there.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:14 AM

7,574 posts, read 9,599,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmax2468 View Post
i know the union is in Lexington but we don't want to live there. We want to live in the triangle. How far is the commute?
Have you looked at a map? Lexington is 2 hours from Raleigh. Not a commuting distance. As others have said, NC is known for not being union-friendly.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:18 AM

114 posts, read 225,753 times
Any carpenter looking for union work in the triangle will find a very hostile environment to work in. GC will not hire any union workers unless required by a federal contract. One of the reasons I love the south!

Old 01-24-2011, 08:15 PM

23 posts, read 50,594 times
My father was a Union plumber in PA for 20+ years before coming to NC. What a shock. His wages and benefits were so high in PA and they were drastically slashed here, over 50%. He's since moved into another line of work, still making 50% of the salary he did in PA though. I think you will find that some skilled trades in the south vary greatly from the standards of craftsmanship that you may be used to in the north.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:46 PM

3,478 posts, read 5,506,373 times
There are little to no union construction jobs here. More importantly, there is not much construction going on at all. It is not a good time to try to establish yourself in that line of work as the multitudes of builders that have gone under have saturated the job pool by putting away their "shirt and ties" and picking their hammers back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary