Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 05:12 PM

33 posts, read 206,992 times

Advertisements

Hello,

The reason I'm looking for non competitive admission (if there is such a thing in Raleigh), is because I flunked out of college about 8 years ago. Prior to that I earned an associates degree with a 3.8 GPA. I started taking classes again a few years ago and probably have around a 2.5 GPA from those (low because I withdrew from one class after deadline). My cumlative GPA is probably quite low considering the horrible grades I had at the time I flunked out.

Is there a place for me to continue earning my bachelors? Is a community college the only way to go? It seems last a waste since I already have 2 years worth of credits earned from my associates degree plus more I've taken since then.

I'm currently in Boston but will be relocating to Raleigh soon to be closer to family, I'd be very interested in any distance classes I can start taking before the move.

My education and finishing this degree is so very important to me. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 05:51 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,103,510 times
I would look at a couple of options: some of the private women's college's around here have programs that are "trial admission" for women who have done poorly in the past. Basically, it's a second chance to prove yourself. I think you can take two classes per semester for 2 semesters, and if you do well, then you can apply for regular admission. Based on your username, I am assuming you are female. I know Meredith has a program like this.
NC state used to also allow you to take a few classes as a non-degree student and if you did well in a certain number of them, you can apply for regular admission.
All of them will go through your transcript and pick and choose which of your other classes they will allow to transfer. Because your credits are mostly from an Associate's degree, many of them will likely not transfer directly over to any of the 4 year colleges and Universities, so you have to be prepared for that.
The last option is doing the college transfer program at Wake Tech, which they will also pick and choose what to allow you to transfer, but will likely accept more of what you have already completed since they are both Associate Degrees. They will tell you which core classes you need to take from them and then you can apply to go to any of the area 4 colleges after you complete the program.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:19 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,934,977 times
The best thing is to call a transfer admissions counselor at some of the local colleges and get the information straight from them. They are very helpful.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I would look at a couple of options: some of the private women's college's around here have programs that are "trial admission" for women who have done poorly in the past. Basically, it's a second chance to prove yourself. I think you can take two classes per semester for 2 semesters, and if you do well, then you can apply for regular admission. Based on your username, I am assuming you are female. I know Meredith has a program like this.
NC state used to also allow you to take a few classes as a non-degree student and if you did well in a certain number of them, you can apply for regular admission.
All of them will go through your transcript and pick and choose which of your other classes they will allow to transfer. Because your credits are mostly from an Associate's degree, many of them will likely not transfer directly over to any of the 4 year colleges and Universities, so you have to be prepared for that.
The last option is doing the college transfer program at Wake Tech, which they will also pick and choose what to allow you to transfer, but will likely accept more of what you have already completed since they are both Associate Degrees. They will tell you which core classes you need to take from them and then you can apply to go to any of the area 4 colleges after you complete the program.
Thank you! The program at Meredith sounds great, except their tuition is more than twice what I have been paying, and I probably won't be able to afford it. I've applied for financial aid before but made too much to qualify I'm only working part time now but am married so our joint income is higher than before.

I'm surprised to hear that my junior college credits might not transfer to a 4 year degree, because I was able to transfer almost all of them to a very good school in Boston (the one I flunked out of). If that is true I might have to reconsider going back at all. I really want the degree but having to start over might not be worth the cost.

When you say Wake Tech is the last option...is that because you listed it last or it should be my last choice for some other reason?

Thanks again =)

Old 01-25-2011, 06:33 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,032,472 times
Here is a link to the non degree program at NC State:

Non-Degree Studies :: North Carolina State University

you can take classes there, two a semester, and if you get higher than at 2.5 gpa, they will allow you to take a full load through their program until you transfer into a regular degree program.

I would look through this website, and then call over there, they can tell you exactly what you can and cannot do. When I worked at NC State, I knew of students who did not originally gain admission into state, who went through this program to basically "prove themselves" and were able to gain admission. The downside, the students in this program are the LAST to sign up for classes, so the selection may be limited.

Leigh

Old 01-25-2011, 06:37 PM

216 posts, read 539,144 times
Hey, sounds like my wife. After highschool she had a scholarship to a local community college in Oklahoma City and later dropped out (way before I even knew her). After we started living together and getting serious I talked her into going back to school. She enrolled at a local college when we lived in Albuquerque and she never submitted her transcripts from her old college days, deciding to start over fresh. After moving here, she was accepted to Campbell University was on the Presidents list this past semester after obtaining a 4.0 GPA. So, the lesson is, maybe it's best to start over fresh to give you a good start again.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:37 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,618,413 times
Check into NC Wesleyan (Triangle Adult Degree Program | North Carolina Wesleyan College). They were pretty good about accepting my transfer credits from other schools (both 2 & 4 year). The tuition was reasonable, especially for a private school.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:41 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,103,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abostonmama View Post
Thank you! The program at Meredith sounds great, except their tuition is more than twice what I have been paying, and I probably won't be able to afford it. I've applied for financial aid before but made too much to qualify I'm only working part time now but am married so our joint income is higher than before.

I'm surprised to hear that my junior college credits might not transfer to a 4 year degree, because I was able to transfer almost all of them to a very good school in Boston (the one I flunked out of). If that is true I might have to reconsider going back at all. I really want the degree but having to start over might not be worth the cost.

When you say Wake Tech is the last option...is that because you listed it last or it should be my last choice for some other reason?

Thanks again =)
It really just depends. Some schools will take some things and not others, it's not cut a dry! All you can do is try! The NCSU program is very good!
I listed Wake Tech last because it sounded to me like you really wanted to try a 4 year college first rather than going back to a community college, but the College Transfer Program is really good AND very affordable.
Good Luck!

Old 01-25-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc130radio View Post
Hey, sounds like my wife. After highschool she had a scholarship to a local community college in Oklahoma City and later dropped out (way before I even knew her). After we started living together and getting serious I talked her into going back to school. She enrolled at a local college when we lived in Albuquerque and she never submitted her transcripts from her old college days, deciding to start over fresh. After moving here, she was accepted to Campbell University was on the Presidents list this past semester after obtaining a 4.0 GPA. So, the lesson is, maybe it's best to start over fresh to give you a good start again.
I so wish I could do this. It's very tempting...but I'm pretty sure its considered academic dishonesty. I'd be afraid of getting kicked out and then having an even harder time getting into a program.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Check into NC Wesleyan (Triangle Adult Degree Program | North Carolina Wesleyan College). They were pretty good about accepting my transfer credits from other schools (both 2 & 4 year). The tuition was reasonable, especially for a private school.
Thank you! You're right, the tuition is very reasonable. I will call them tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary