Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 06:50 PM

128 posts, read 290,262 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out our internet service for our new home in CHapel Hill. Looks like the main option is Time Warner. Has anyone experienced the difference between regular broadband and "turbo"? Is it worth $10 a month?

How is the internet market in general in Chapel Hill? Any other suggestions for service providers?

If we go with T-W, we'll get their cable package as well. If you've done the research recently, what did you go with? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 07:20 PM

68 posts, read 118,478 times
I found the regular broadband to be very slow and choppy when streaming movies, especially if someone else was online. I'm very satisfied with the 'turbo' though. So for me, the extra $10 is definitely worth it!

Old 01-25-2011, 07:37 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,453 times
I hate TWC and their Internet service. I'm fond of saying that they made the impossible possible; I actually miss Cablevision and their superior service offerings.

I don't know what the non-turbo performance is like but I can tell you that there's nothing truly turbo about the premium service. The day AT&T shows up at my door selling U-Verse I'm gone, gone, gone.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:12 PM

44 posts, read 123,754 times
Oh, how I wish that a nearby suburb or municipality would follow Wilson's lead and provide Internet and cable service to its citizens. Wilson installed fiber to the door --- Something Time Warner has been saying they'd do for years. Instead, Time Warner takes your money and gives their gangster CEO a huge raise.

Once Time Warner gets competition, I'll gladly jump ship.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:44 PM

744 posts, read 1,261,973 times
Only three options are TW, Frontier (DSL), and Clear. Of the three TW is clearly the fastest. TW's service sucks but it's still the best of the worst.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:13 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times
I have whatever the standard internet package is from TWC in Chapel Hill, and I'm perfectly happy with it. (I have their phone service too, and it's been just fine; cable TV leaves a bit to be desired.) I don't stream movies, so I can't attest to how well TWC's service handles that. But for general home use (and occassional work from home), the TWC speeds are just fine for me.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:06 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,959,853 times
There's no comparison of TW cable internet speed to that which I get at work at Duke, be it downloading journal articles and podcasts or uploading photographs, both of which are very rapid at work while taking minutes for downloads to tens of minutes at home. Skype sucks at home vs work. Streaming actually seems OK at home, although we just watch small screen on the computer.

I find it telling that a graduate student from Hanoi, Vietnam considers the US a second world country when it comes to internet speed (and for that matter, cellular service as well).

Our beloved private sector is charging outrageous fees for the privilege of failing us so miserably!

Old 01-26-2011, 09:43 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,982,730 times
On a strict numbers basis, the regular service offers nominal speeds of 7 Mbps down and 384 Kbps up, while the turbo offers 10 Mbps down and 512 Kbps up.

If they follow the pattern used in Charlotte when they rolled out Wideband there, those should soon bump up to 10 Mbps down for regular and 15 Mbps down for turbo, with both services seeing 1 Mbps up.

TIME WARNER CABLE GIVES BIG BOOST TO INTERNET SPEEDS IN CHARLOTTE | Time Warner Cable | East

Old 01-26-2011, 10:15 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,894,691 times
It depends on what you are doing online. If you only have one PC and just browse the web, the base service is fine. if you have multiple devices that are on at once, aor live in a dense area with a lot TW subscribers (as peak hours will effect performfance with TW) you may want to go for a higher speed.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:28 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
It depends on what you are doing online. If you only have one PC and just browse the web, the base service is fine. if you have multiple devices that are on at once, aor live in a dense area with a lot TW subscribers (as peak hours will effect performfance with TW) you may want to go for a higher speed.
Just as a point of reference - in my house we've typically got 3 or 4 PCs going at once plus xBox live, and we really don't notice any significant performance issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary