Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 01:04 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times

Advertisements

? is more for realtors...are mother/daughter type homes available in this area? It's basically a high-ranch style home, all above ground, basically set up like this:

Ground Floor: {above ground-not a basement} Kitchen, Living room, 1 Full bath, Laundry Room, 1 or 2 car garage, Utility Room

Top Floor: Kitchen, Living Room, Dining Room, 1 or 2 Full Baths, 3 bedrooms.

I'm curious to know if this style of home is around the Raleigh area. I have searched websites, fmrealty.com and such. I see more Transitional, Colonial, Ranch, and Contemporary floor plans.

If not, do you see many listings with a side or separate non-basement space for parent to live?

Any advice will be helpful. I know the alternative would to buy a home and then add on a side apartment for a parent, but I know that would cost a significant amount of $.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 01:10 PM

792 posts, read 4,487,051 times
I call that a "raised ranch", or split-foyer. It was a popular design in the 60's and 70's, not so much today. There are a lot of these homes in older neighborhoods in Raleigh and Cary. Not all of them have full kitchens on the lower level but some do.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:33 PM

18 posts, read 54,996 times
My suggestion would be to utilize some of the search engines that are available from various realtor firms that allow you to establish a search criteria identifying "in-law apartment" to find what you are looking for in a re-sale property. They do exist and if you are flexible on location, you should be able to find what you want. Hope that helps.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:55 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,192,551 times
the house next door to me is for sale with in-law apartment on the main floor. This is in Durham. if you're interested, I'll send you the listing. This is a cape-cod style home from the 50s--the apartment was an add-on at a later date.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:08 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
The "High Ranch" is your NY term.
Split foyer, Bi-level, Split-Entry homes are fairly common in older neighborhoods.

It is still about the cheapest way to buy square footage around the region.
Since they less sought from a style perspective, prices are lower.

Most, however have the lower level partially under ground, at least.
And, any room with a wall with any dirt against it, even a foot high, should be considered to be "Below Grade."

Old 01-27-2011, 02:47 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
There are homes with basements that have an "in law" suite. I've seen quite a few in the Wake Forest area. It is going to depend on where you want to live and the price you can spend.

The split levels and split foyers are the older plans, as others have said.

Vicki

Old 01-27-2011, 03:20 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
I've heard them called 'raised ranches' in NY and 'split-entry' here in Raleigh. I live in one.

There is at least one for sale in the Brentwood subdivision -- on one of the lakes; ask your real estate agent.

I know of at least two families using the downstairs of such homes as 'mother-in-law suites.' Works well.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:37 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times
Thank you everyone...I'll keep searching...I don't want a basement...wouldn't put my dog in basement let alone a parent...Thanks again.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:00 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I don't know if you know this or not but our basements here are walk-out daylight basements. Windows and doors give lots of light and I've seen many basements that are quite nice.

Vicki

Old 01-27-2011, 05:54 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I don't know if you know this or not but our basements here are walk-out daylight basements. Windows and doors give lots of light and I've seen many basements that are quite nice.

Vicki
This. Basements here don't tend to be the dark, dank, cold caves they used to be. Search a local real estate website specifically for homes with a basement and see for yourself. I'd LOVE to have a basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary