U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:53 PM

39 posts, read 63,753 times
Default Anyone know what happened to Glenn Willey (ABC meteorologist)?

Not that I'm his biggest fan or anything - but I'm up early every day for work and watch ABC. He left a couple weeks ago and a new guy started today. Just curious/nosy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 07:36 PM

131 posts, read 433,460 times
I have no idea and that's what's upsetting me the most about this. I'm a loyal watcher of ABC11 news in the morning and enjoyed Glenn's personality. Suddenly he just disappears and a new guy shows up! I've scoured ABC 11's website to try and find some sort of announcement about it, but there's nothing. There is a bunch of chatter on the ABC news Facebook pages and it looks like a lot of people are wondering the same thing. It's as if he never existed. If he moved on to another job, then good for him and I wish him well. Even if he was fired for a justifiable reason, then I'll accept it. What I can't get over is the fact that ABC news hasn't bothered to mention anything about it. Not even a "Glenn Willey has moved on to other opportunities, now here's the new guy." It's like they just wrote him off and hoped everyone wouldn't notice the change if they didn't mention that he was gone. He's been the morning weatherman for a few years now and I'll definitely miss him. If anyone knows what happened, please fill us in.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:31 PM

2,268 posts, read 3,782,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenaten View Post
I have no idea and that's what's upsetting me the most about this. I'm a loyal watcher of ABC11 news in the morning and enjoyed Glenn's personality. Suddenly he just disappears and a new guy shows up! I've scoured ABC 11's website to try and find some sort of announcement about it, but there's nothing. There is a bunch of chatter on the ABC news Facebook pages and it looks like a lot of people are wondering the same thing. It's as if he never existed. If he moved on to another job, then good for him and I wish him well. Even if he was fired for a justifiable reason, then I'll accept it. What I can't get over is the fact that ABC news hasn't bothered to mention anything about it. Not even a "Glenn Willey has moved on to other opportunities, now here's the new guy." It's like they just wrote him off and hoped everyone wouldn't notice the change if they didn't mention that he was gone. He's been the morning weatherman for a few years now and I'll definitely miss him. If anyone knows what happened, please fill us in.
This is not uncommon in the industry at all.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:54 PM

693 posts, read 639,976 times
Yes Claire, I was just coming in to comment. I am a former TV news producer. That's generally how it works when a person leaves. In TV, you have to work your way up, starting at smaller markets and moving to larger ones, so TV journalists are constantly moving, especially early in their careers. We don't see it AS much in the Triangle, because we are a fairly large market, and folks get here and want to stay. But in small markets, 1-3 years, and folks take off for a better opportunity. Also, many stations have consultants, so if a person's ratings are low or tests poorly in a market--they are OUTTA there.

Stations usually handle these personnel changes with little fanfare.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:37 AM

6,060 posts, read 8,799,831 times
His bio is still up. One would think if he's left, they'd take it down:

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/bio?section=ontv/stationinfo/bios&id=3620266 (broken link)

Old 01-28-2011, 06:19 AM

1 posts, read 11,589 times
I sent an email to Barbara Gibbs, asking her what happened to Glenn. Her reply said she is not allowed to divulge any info... although... they ARE in the News Biz?

I am really upset... the Team is no longer together. Every morning, I'd turn on the TV to channel 11. Even if the News was bad -or- the Weather was nasty, they would make sense of it all and I could plan my Day.

If Glenn moved on to a better job... that is great and I wish him well. BUT, if management made a Bone Head decision and fired Glenn... Then that manager should be fired!

Old 01-28-2011, 06:21 AM

232 posts, read 269,459 times
WTVD is notorious for giving folks the heave-ho if consultants suggest an anchor's popularity is waning. The station is so image driven, that if they find a more attractive person with nicer hair and prettier hair, the old person is out.

Reporters almost never get a mention when they head for another market, unless they are moving up to the network of their affiliate. It's pretty much the same with anchors, although there might be a mention at the end of their final newscast. You're likely to find any information about it on their Web site.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:49 AM

1 posts, read 11,538 times
Default Glenn Willey

I was upset as well....yes, he just disappeared....and they have been advertising the "big weather" thing. well...now we know ...this Big Weather thing is the nickname of the new guy, Don Swenneker.
anyway, I am from Chicago originally, I never heard of this guy but it says he came from Chicago. he will take some getting used to.
anyway, I sent a message to the "chief", Chris Hohmann. he told me that story that he left to go to Houston, to be closer to family. it does not sound like he has a job as yet. perhaps his wife got a job there??
anyway, yes, I agree that its Bush League just for him to disappear without even a mention on the weather page of the website perhaps. maybe they mentioned it at the start of the newscast on Thursday at 4:30 but lord knows...who watches at 4:30AM? the earliest I turn it on is like 5:30 or 6:00. anyway, thats the long and short of it. I will reply to the message Chris sent me to tell him that there are some "upset customers" out there who just cannot understand why a morning staple just disappears. !! have a good day....
PS: Barabara Gibbs is NOT my favorite at all! the only reason I watch the ABC in the AM is for the national programs: GMA, etc. I much prefer the weekends when she is not on.... many times for the local news in the morning I go to CBS, just to avoid Barbara.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:57 AM

6,060 posts, read 8,799,831 times
Glenn Willey is on Facebook, so you could probably contact him there and tell him you're sad he left.

Re Barbara, she makes me laugh because she's so ... I can't put my finger on it. Not the B word.

Couple years back, she kept mispronouncing a word, and is was driving me bonkers, so I emailed her and showed her the dictionary meanings of the word she was saying and the word she meant to say. She replied something like, "Goodness! You ARE right!" The wording of her response made me think that she didn't think she was often wrong.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 01-28-2011 at 07:10 AM..

Old 01-28-2011, 07:01 AM

294 posts, read 474,829 times
on the same topic, did anyone catch Debra Morgan's comment about the cerebral palsy spelling bee champion that cannot speak? after the story, which indicated she cannot talk because of tightened facial muscles, debra says something to the effect of "what an inspiration....and she's always smiling"......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary