Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 06:29 PM

223 posts, read 575,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
If people are right that higher education is a bubble that will pop sooner or later, I wonder what effect that'd have on the Triangle.
While I truly hope that this never happens, CHwboy is likely onto something. Too many people go to college who really are not "college-bound." If you think about it, there is a college out there who will take anyone. So, these "lesser" students just can't compete.

What concerns me most as it affects me personally are all the PhD level jobs being "sent" to India/China. There are many of us in the Triangle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 08:54 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,877,586 times
Don't know if it's still true, but I remember reading a couple of years back that the Triangle had the highest percentage of unemployed and under employed college grads in the country.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:25 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,883,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf_Rocks View Post
If you think about it, there is a college out there who will take anyone.
And we can't have just anyone getting an education, can we?

[This has gotten way off topic.]

Old 02-01-2011, 10:55 AM

56 posts, read 95,737 times
Here is the unemployment rates for the whole state of North Carolina. Raleigh has the second lowest in the state.

Triangle unemployment rate dips to 7.7 percent :: WRAL.com

Old 02-01-2011, 01:49 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,390,644 times
I know our move is not out of state but we moved from Fayetteville to Wake County. It feels like a totally diffrent world. I am actually from SE MI.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:31 PM

223 posts, read 575,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
And we can't have just anyone getting an education, can we?

[This has gotten way off topic.]
Of course everyone has the right to an education, that does not however mean that college is appropriate for every applicant. And yes, I do feel that certain colleges "scam" students who were never truly college-bound. But, at least those students with a "higher aptitude" are more likely to receive scholarships/fellowships/stipends etc., thus graduating with less debt than a student who has to fully fund his/her education.

And back to the topic at hand, it would be very interesting to see an updated map. Much has changed economically since 2008, and if C-D posts are any indication of "trends," many folks have left the Triangle to seek employment elsewhere.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:36 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,148,573 times
Default yep

[quote=Alf_Rocks;17664940What concerns me most as it affects me personally are all the PhD level jobs being "sent" to India/China. There are many of us in the Triangle.[/QUOTE]

agree. There are tons of jobs leaving the country that will NEVER come back and these are high level jobs and mid level jobs In a nut shell anything that can be moved off shore is being moved. We never hear about this at all anymore from anyone, wonder why....cant have an economy turn around without new skilled jobs being created (or even maintained).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary