U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 01:40 AM

926 posts, read 1,424,975 times

Advertisements

Can Durham folks play? I remember:

*Skate-Inn skating rink--over near where South Square Mall used to be. It's now an office building.
*A&P grocery store--also near South Square. It's an office supply place now (Stapes or Office Max).
*Piggly Wiggly grocery store over in Forest Hills.
*The TWO cow stores--one near Lakewood, and many people forget there was another one on Roxboro road. Due to a city ordinance, I think the cows were required to be taken down.
*Godfather's Pizza on Chapel Hill Boulevard
*The "Dollar" movie theatre on Chapel Hill Boulevard. I forget the name right off hand, but it's across from Shrimp Boats.
*The Lakewood movie theatre--they used to show kids' movies during the day in the summer time (Charlie Brown and Snoopy, Herbie the Lovebug, Pippi Longstocking, Parent Trap, Swiss Family Robinson, stuff like that).
*When the area that is now Southpoint was barren and not even in the city limits.
*The sweet smell of tobacco when driving through the Brightleaf Square area
*Durham High School
*When Southern High School was on Ellis Road
*DAVIS BAKERY!
*North Duke "Mall"--such a POOR excuse for a mall if I've ever seen one. There were like five stores in there. SMH
*When most of the stuff at the Museum of Life and Science was ACROSS the street from where it is now, and there were a couple of REAL airplanes on display out front. I think one of them you could actually climb in. I haven't been in years, do they still have that display of the moon landing? I thought that was so cool as a kid.
*Not a Durham memory per-se, but I remember when the town of Morrisville was an absolute JOKE, just a rural, one-horse town. Cary wasn't far behind. I also remember when North Hills Mall was basically a dead mall, which is why I refuse to pay the exorbitant rents on the condos they've slapped up over there. I remember the area BEFORE they brought in all the cool stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 01:43 AM

926 posts, read 1,424,975 times
Hey, who remembers when Oprah did the "Durham vs. Raleigh" weight loss challenge? I was in elementary school. I remember we watched it on TV at my after-school care program, and cheered for Durham. Raleigh won, though.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:09 AM

75 posts, read 115,927 times
[quote=Francois;17628411]
Quote:
Originally Posted by old-school View Post
Hello all, does anyone remember these places in Raleigh.

I don't remember it, but someone has posted actual postcard pics of it on a Facebook group for growing up in Raleigh.

That was Skate TOWN, not Skate RANCH, which was newer and on the other side of town.

It was "Gators" before that, I think (a restaurant).

Was that before it was in Eastgate shopping center, around the back (kind of behind where the Petco is now?) My dad ate breakfast there many times on the way to work.

Technically it was called the "Village Subway", complete with subway station murals and stairs from the parking lots looking like subway stations. There is a whole blog about it, somewhere.

I stand corrected. It was Skate TOWN. I HATED Skate Ranch over off Trawick Rd. If I am not mistaken its still there. As for the Village Subway it depended on who you hung out with as to what it was called. I always heard of it as The Underground. Then again when I read that particular blog many others called it the Village Underground. Either way it was the coolest place to go back in those days.

Griffins moved over to the rear of Eastgate shopping center from their first location right down the road less than a mile. They got much bigger but served the same good food. The last move put them behind Red Lobster and the last time I ate there the biscuits weren't as good. They closed up several years ago. Terrible location.

Before it was Gators it was a breakfast restaurant that for the life of me I cannot remember the name of right now. It was located right beside Arthur Murray's. I watched the first shuttle landing sitting in that place eating a quiche. " The Breakfast House" maybe? I am sure other posters will remember the name of it. I never ate at Gators.

I would love to see the pictures on facebook, Do you happen to know the link? Thanks

Old 01-29-2011, 09:19 AM

5,971 posts, read 7,340,128 times
Quote:
Hello all, does anyone remember these places in Raleigh.
* The old motel that was once where Bobby Murray Chevrolet on Downtown Blvd is now located? It was called "The Alamo Motor Inn" It was of Spanish architecture. My first wife and I stayed there on our honeymoon in 1977.
The Alamo Plaza....remember it well. It actually stood to the right of the Bobby Murray site(originally "Triangle Chevrolet") The little motor court was part of a small chain of them scattered around the US. It was a lovely little place situated in the trees on the hill. It's a shame they torn it down. It looked very similar to some of these.

Alamo Plaza Hotel Courts

Old 01-29-2011, 11:44 AM

10,319 posts, read 18,626,660 times
Quote:
As for the Village Subway it depended on who you hung out with as to what it was called. I always heard of it as The Underground. Then again when I read that particular blog many others called it the Village Underground.
Yes, I know people referred to it as "The Underground". But the official name of it according to Cameron Village was "The Village Subway". There is a neat book on the history of Cameron Village that shows all the stores that were there in the first 50 years. You can find it at (of course) the Cameron Village library.

Quote:
Griffins moved over to the rear of Eastgate shopping center from their first location right down the road less than a mile.
Ah, OK; I don't remember that. I grew up near Eastgate and used to ride my bike around there all the time.

Quote:
Before it was Gators it was a breakfast restaurant that for the life of me I cannot remember the name of right now. It was located right beside Arthur Murray's. I watched the first shuttle landing sitting in that place eating a quiche. " The Breakfast House" maybe?
Yes, The Breakfast House!

Quote:
I would love to see the pictures on facebook, Do you happen to know the link? Thanks
Well, there are two groups, unfortunately ("unfortunate" because it would be nice to have everything all in the same place). I think someone formed a group without realizing there already was one. Anyway, they are "I Grew Up in Raleigh NC" (the newer group) and "You know you grew up in Raleigh, North Carolina when. . ." (I'd rather not post direct links).

Old 01-29-2011, 01:34 PM

5,971 posts, read 7,340,128 times
Quote:
* The original Griffins Restaurant located on Wake Forest Rd. It was in a small building with a appliance repair shop beside it. It would today be about where the BP station is located on Wake Forest Rd beside Hooters and the old Mexican Restaurant that's been closed forever! They had the best sausage biscuits ever made! I can still taste those things.
Yes...I used to eat lunch there all the time when I worked at Joe Partin's East Gate Shell Station in the late 1960's....a red brick building just where you said it was. There was a big auto auction house in an open field just behind it and to the left. The name slips me right now

Old 01-29-2011, 01:40 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,546,711 times
Skate Town was there well into the 90's, we didn't move to Raleigh until 1994 and it was still there then; though kind of past it's prime and still looked very 70's-ish (red/orange carpet EVERYWHERE) We took our kids there when they were really little. Once they built Jellybeans, everyone started going there.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:38 PM

569 posts, read 1,727,582 times
Quote:
As far as the topless bars go ask hubby does he remember "My Apartment Lounge" also located on Hillsborough St? ;-)
I really want to thank you for starting this thread. I went to State in the early 70's and definately remember My Apartment and also the Keg.

Do you remember Red's place? It was called the College Grill and was below what is now Mitch's(Jolly Knave back then). I had totally forgotten about it until I googled for My Apartment and found this page. Keep Hillsborough Street funky | Wake County | Independent Weekly
As soon as I saw the name my mouth started to water for one of Red's burgers. I googled a little more and found this page from 2008. The Forgotten Bar Of Hillsborough Street | Goodnight, Raleigh!

I hardly ever get over to Hillsboro St any more. Does anyone know if Red's bar is still there and still vacant?

PS I didn't even know that Mitch's was used for the bar scenes in Bull Durham until I read that first article.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:26 PM

10,319 posts, read 18,626,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Skate Town was there well into the 90's, we didn't move to Raleigh until 1994 and it was still there then; though kind of past it's prime and still looked very 70's-ish (red/orange carpet EVERYWHERE) We took our kids there when they were really little.
Skate Town was getting "past its prime" even in the 1970s I remember going there in school and even then, the floor was warped in a couple of places. Yet yes, it was still there into the 1990s. I think the roof had caved in, perhaps in the 1988 tornado which went close to there, and the walls still had water damage that was obviously never fixed. Apparently at some point (in the '90s), they would rent it out to private groups in the evenings as someone I know would rent it on a weeknight and a bunch of us (all adults) would go there--it was practically falling apart then, and the DJ booth still had an old-fashioned record players and 45s (which suited us since they were from the '70s, our childhood era).

Old 01-31-2011, 10:10 AM

207 posts, read 350,472 times
I remember going to Skate Town in the early 80s. Does anyone remember a chicken restaurant some near Bobby Murray called the Silver Skillet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary