Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:14 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
If Vicki were a securities broker you could sue her for detrimental reliance if you lost money on your investment. Hey Vicki, how much would you have made in in an S&P 500 fund if you'd invested those house payments over 30 years?
JohnE asked a question and I answered it. I am NOT a securities broker so how does that relate? He did ask a valid real estate question to which I gave him an honest answer, based on having lived here for 30 years and having sold real estate for quite a few years.

If you ask me, I've already sold more homes this year than I did last year. How is this relevant? Would you also like to see my tax returns?

If you have nothing to add to the post, please be considerate and don't waste our time.

Thanks for reading,

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 04:58 AM

214 posts, read 663,631 times
Coming to a screeching halt in Raleigh??? I think you need to work on your definition of a screeching halt. Go to Florida and you'll see a screeching halt. Homes there are sitting 6-10 months before being sold and when they are sold, they're sold for less than what they did 2 years ago.

In my subdivision, new homes are closing on an average of 1 to 2 homes per week. That might not be as fast as it was a year ago, but it isn't a screeching halt.

And Mike's advice was to find a good home in a good location and stay a few years. Even if the market were coming to a screeching halt, how does that change his advice. His advice is sound and would be especially good advice if the market were coming to a screeching halt.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:47 AM

161 posts, read 558,917 times
I may be wrong about this, but I believe that unlike some other markets across the country (northeast, FL, CA, Las Vegas), Raleigh's real estate market has remained fairly steady through the past several years - growing, but not at an insane, rapid pace. So even if the market were to come to "a screeching halt" here, the impact would be nowhere near as bad as other parts of the country.

If you want to buy a house, at some point you just have to dig your heels in and go for it!

Old 07-20-2007, 09:22 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times
Thumbs up agreed...

being a new homeowner, just in the month I am in my new home, the houses are going up and new lots, as fast as they open up I am seeing "sold" signs. I don't feel the market in Raleigh is at a screeching halt. I am sure it may have slowed, but with anything, there are high & low points...look at the stock market from March of this year until yesterday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello212 View Post
Coming to a screeching halt in Raleigh??? I think you need to work on your definition of a screeching halt. Go to Florida and you'll see a screeching halt. Homes there are sitting 6-10 months before being sold and when they are sold, they're sold for less than what they did 2 years ago.

In my subdivision, new homes are closing on an average of 1 to 2 homes per week. That might not be as fast as it was a year ago, but it isn't a screeching halt.

And Mike's advice was to find a good home in a good location and stay a few years. Even if the market were coming to a screeching halt, how does that change his advice. His advice is sound and would be especially good advice if the market were coming to a screeching halt.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifter View Post
I may be wrong about this, but I believe that unlike some other markets across the country (northeast, FL, CA, Las Vegas), Raleigh's real estate market has remained fairly steady through the past several years - growing, but not at an insane, rapid pace. So even if the market were to come to "a screeching halt" here, the impact would be nowhere near as bad as other parts of the country.

If you want to buy a house, at some point you just have to dig your heels in and go for it!
You are absolutely correct. The Real Estate Market in Raleigh, Cary, etc., has remained STEADY throughout the last 30 years that I've lived here. I couldn't have said it better myself!!! Vicki

Old 07-20-2007, 11:14 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
The Real Estate market in this area doesn't sag!

However, there are certain price ranges that are hot at the moment and some that are running cold with too much inventory so builders will give better incentives like dropping the price. Sometimes builders over price and when the buyers don't buy...they realize they have overpriced and they drop prices.

A home will sell ONLY if its priced right! What today's price is may not be tomorrow's price. Does this make ANY sense?

Vicki
Hi Vicki,

I don't know if this has been covered in another thread, but could you please tell me what price ranges are considered "hot" right now? Thanks so much!

Old 07-20-2007, 11:57 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
You may see some slowdown in starter homes since some marginal candidates will no longer get financing. The subprime mess is starting to stink like rotting fish and even Wall Street is getting nervous about subprime loans.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:53 PM

419 posts, read 1,397,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
JohnE asked a question and I answered it. I am NOT a securities broker so how does that relate? He did ask a valid real estate question to which I gave him an honest answer, based on having lived here for 30 years and having sold real estate for quite a few years.

If you ask me, I've already sold more homes this year than I did last year. How is this relevant? Would you also like to see my tax returns?

If you have nothing to add to the post, please be considerate and don't waste our time.

Thanks for reading,

Vicki
We are not comparing the return on a house versus a return in the stock market. That would be a good topic for another thread though! I think that Vicki hit the nail on the head with her comment.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:52 PM

42 posts, read 189,952 times
Default Raleigh, NC area recently named best market for sellers

I read an article yesterday online ranking the best real estate markets. Raleigh was rated #1 for its robust market. Steady appreciation and a healthy local economy were among reasons for our top position.

I think it was Money Magazine, but I can't promise that's right.

Vicki knows her stuff.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:06 PM

Awww, thanks guys. Now someone explain to me WHO keeps giving me bad points and keeps saying that I'm "rude" and "mean". I don't mean to be but if you disagree with me, then you should post it and tell me why you think your opinion is correct and I'm wrong instead of just hiding.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary