Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 09:21 AM

20 posts, read 42,750 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm was doing a little research about triangle areas and noticed that almost every highway going out of Raleigh has some new developments. However, going on US1 past Apex there is nearly nothing out there. The area seems nice with decent highway, lakes, and nice surroundings. My question is why there is nothing being built out there? is there some factor that draws people away from that area? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 09:38 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
I don't know as I live in Raleigh. However, are you talking about the New Hill area near the nuclear power plant? Or, maybe the area you mentioned isn't a convenient location and so no demand? I'm curious to hear what folks who live in that area say......

Old 01-29-2011, 10:06 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,614 times
I live out that way (in the country) and I've always considered it to be a fact that the sprawl hasn't made it out that far yet. No other reason. I have never looked at the land ownership, but I would not be suprised to find that Progress owns a lot of land (or something like that). I know they own about 1000 acres right next to us (which we LOVE).

In addition to the general pace of sprawl, other factors might be:
The Nuke plant (although it wouldn't bother me, but there might be some buffer issues?)
The anticipated waste plant in New Hill
Land Ownership
Industrial presence in Moncure (exits 82 and 84)
Lack of attraction

I also believe you will see a major shift in the development patterns with the opening of 540. My guess is that sprawl will go north to meet with Apex and Cary, but will also start south from there, heading toward New Hill and Sanford.

I've always said that within 30 years, the entire US1 Corridor from Raleigh to Southern Pines will be developed.

Just my (very uninformed, and from the hip) opinion... Not fact based at all... But I live here.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:07 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Give it time; in a few years it will be full of sprawl and strip malls and Wal-Marts. That corner of the county is where a good bulk of the new growth is landing. Does it somehow bother you to see land that isn't developed?

Old 01-29-2011, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the reply! agreed on all the counts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
I live out that way (in the country) and I've always considered it to be a fact that the sprawl hasn't made it out that far yet. No other reason. I have never looked at the land ownership, but I would not be suprised to find that Progress owns a lot of land (or something like that). I know they own about 1000 acres right next to us (which we LOVE).

In addition to the general pace of sprawl, other factors might be:
The Nuke plant (although it wouldn't bother me, but there might be some buffer issues?)
The anticipated waste plant in New Hill
Land Ownership
Industrial presence in Moncure (exits 82 and 84)
Lack of attraction

I also believe you will see a major shift in the development patterns with the opening of 540. My guess is that sprawl will go north to meet with Apex and Cary, but will also start south from there, heading toward New Hill and Sanford.

I've always said that within 30 years, the entire US1 Corridor from Raleigh to Southern Pines will be developed.

Just my (very uninformed, and from the hip) opinion... Not fact based at all... But I live here.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:32 AM

Definitely not!! actually, i'm looking for a land out in the country. My wife and I, both like country setting much better than city neighborhood type living. In the same time we both work downtown Raleigh, so we can't live too far out... So the area around New hill and Moncure appeared reasonable and that's why I asked the original question. We have been here in Raleigh only a couple of years, so any info about the area from other folks who've been here longer can't hurt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Give it time; in a few years it will be full of sprawl and strip malls and Wal-Marts. That corner of the county is where a good bulk of the new growth is landing. Does it somehow bother you to see land that isn't developed?

Old 01-29-2011, 11:36 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
When the slowdown hit, the outer areas suffered the most.

More people would rather live in Cary but as Cary has gotten more expensive, people pushed out towards Apex. Now that Apex is expensive, people pushed out towards Holly Springs. Holly Springs was set to explode but the slowdown put a damper on those plans. So, as the area around Holly Springs becomes developed, you'll see that area develop, as well.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary