Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:21 AM

5 posts, read 12,494 times

Advertisements

Anybody know of any place in the Triangle area, Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill that has a bohemian hippie like atmosphere. Anybody from Boulder, CO., may know of Pearl Street Mall like areas in North Carolina, I'd sure love to know of these places. Thank's for any help and Peace;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 09:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Moderator Note:
thread relocated from state forum

Old 01-31-2011, 09:54 AM

305 posts, read 760,850 times
I'm afraid I don't know that area of Boulder, but there are areas of Carrboro that fit the bill. Check out Weaver St. Market and the surrounding area. Perhaps when the weather warms up, check out Johnny's in Carrboro when they have music playing and a food truck there. Or the Durham Farmer's Market when it is back in season, especially then they have music or yoga on the lawn.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:57 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Carrboro is definitely the closest place you'll come in the Triangle. Also Asheville, in the NC mountains.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:01 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Carrboro reminds me most of Boulder. Pittsboro seems to be trying...Open Eye coffee shop is very close to being a Penny Lane...
Wow...Boulder...Naropa...arapahoe...White Wave Tofu.....CU....Hudson STreet Apartments...top bad it snows there....

Old 01-31-2011, 10:22 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
yep...Carborro is the closest you'll find!

Old 01-31-2011, 06:44 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Carrboro is definitely the closest place you'll come in the Triangle. Also Asheville, in the NC mountains.

This is probably the most correct answser. Carrboro may be kinda hip, but if it's the Pearl Street vibe you're looking for, then it is not the same at all, much more laid back. Franklin Street in Chapel Hill and 9th Street in Durham are the respective "college main strips", but I still don't think it's quite like Pearl Street.

THe reason I quoted above is because Asheville has that kind, hippie freak-show appeal that you must be looking for. Drum Circle every friday night in the summer, and when I say "drum circle", I'm talking Grateful Dead Parking Lot Scene, circal mid 1980's (couple hundred drummers). Street musicians, and street artists, with human statues. Last time I was there I saw a guy dressed like a nun, riding a home-welded, double-decker bike. Said nun had hairy legs and a big grin. And this was all pre-dinner around 7PM or so.

So, hippie/bohemian vibe? Sure, Carrboro, or Ch Hill or Durham, but Pearl Street, I think the closest thing will be Downtown Asheville on a warm weekend summer night...

Old 01-31-2011, 07:03 PM

223 posts, read 576,840 times
I agree about Carrboro if you want to be in the Triangle. Asheville has more of the "vibe" I think you are searching for.

I remember the first time I went to Boulder as a kid, I was excited to be in the same city where Mork "lived!"

Old 01-31-2011, 08:16 PM

216 posts, read 538,990 times
the only thing i know about boulder is subaru cars and berkenstock shoes.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:39 AM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
This is probably the most correct answser. Carrboro may be kinda hip, but if it's the Pearl Street vibe you're looking for, then it is not the same at all, much more laid back. Franklin Street in Chapel Hill and 9th Street in Durham are the respective "college main strips", but I still don't think it's quite like Pearl Street.

THe reason I quoted above is because Asheville has that kind, hippie freak-show appeal that you must be looking for. Drum Circle every friday night in the summer, and when I say "drum circle", I'm talking Grateful Dead Parking Lot Scene, circal mid 1980's (couple hundred drummers). Street musicians, and street artists, with human statues. Last time I was there I saw a guy dressed like a nun, riding a home-welded, double-decker bike. Said nun had hairy legs and a big grin. And this was all pre-dinner around 7PM or so.

So, hippie/bohemian vibe? Sure, Carrboro, or Ch Hill or Durham, but Pearl Street, I think the closest thing will be Downtown Asheville on a warm weekend summer night...
I agree. If you are ever in Raleigh, you should check out Shakedown Street. Shakedown Street Pub, Raleigh North Carolina - Food, Drink, Music, Good Vibes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary