Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:39 PM

8 posts, read 35,757 times

Advertisements

Seriously.

I live in Memphis right now, but for personal reasons having to do with family I am moving to the Raleigh/ Durham area.

I currently live in a "transitional" inner city racially mixed neighborhood by choice. I would like to do the same when I move up there. I am coming up in about 2 weeks to look around and would like to have some idea of where to look.

The problem is that the PR sites for the cities tend to play up the "good" areas, so I am at a bit of a loss.

Here is the wish list, if you will.

Inner city

I do not want a war zone, but do not mind marginalized areas.

I do not mind heavy racial imbalance.

As I bike and bus most places, it would be ideal if not very far by either from shopping (groceries, wal-mart, like that)

Ideal is an area in the beginning of transition upwards, but NOT gentrification.

I can manage in Spanish, so the neighborhood can lean that way if needed.

Like I said, I am just researching now, but will be up there soon to scope it out and would like to have some idea of where to go, zip codes to check classifieds and craigslist for, etc.

Many thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 12:42 PM

124 posts, read 504,433 times
Cary, North Raleigh, Hope Valley (Durham) come to mind immediately. Just kidding. I am intrigued, your reasons if I may inquire?

Old 07-19-2007, 12:49 PM

Several reasons...

Much cooler people (in my experience)

I hate the suburbs

I love the city (grew up on a farm, have been running ever since).

I know that whatever neighborhood I live in, I will contribute and interact with my neighbors. If so, why not where that contribution will do the most good?

No matter how hard I try, I just cannnot imagine Jesus driving a Lexus and living in the Suburbs.

(you asked...)

Old 07-19-2007, 12:54 PM

30 posts, read 123,234 times
check out downtown raleigh on hargett, martin, bloodworth street, etc. there's some significant (but slow, further to the southeast) gentrification going on, but you've got $40,000 houses a block from $400,000 houses. Those areas are downtown, near all of the new bars and restaurants. there are houses that have been fixed up fairly nicely, too, in the $80-130k range.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:13 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
My brother (in his mid-thirties) just bought a small, older, bungalow style home in Durham in an area called "Old West Durham". It used to be an old mill village. It really sounds quite similar to what you are looking for. It's a fairly active neighborhood from what I understand and is very diverse ranging from single grad students to elderly people to hispanic and AA families. The neighborhood prides themsleves in diversity. He bought the house because he saw it as a good investment, very close to downtown Durham (right by 9th street), has a more urban/city feel, a little "grittier" than most of the other urban areas, lots of neat bars/restaurants, he is also big into biking to work. It is exactly as you describe as in an "upwards transition" and I think the house was pretty inexpensive (less than 200K).
I can try to find out more about it if you like. It seemed t be a neat little area perfect for the right type of people.

OWDNA Page Title

Last edited by lamishra; 07-19-2007 at 03:21 PM..

Old 07-19-2007, 03:24 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,694,803 times
Try East Central Downtown Durham. Also, there are some areas very close to downtown Raleigh, and off of Capital Blvd

Old 07-19-2007, 03:31 PM

East Central Downtown Durham...

Thanks, could you give me a street name or cross street? Makes it easier to find on a map.

Many thanks for the suggestions so far.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:17 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Brentwood area near New Hope Church Rd in North Raleigh. Very transitional with heavy Latino and African-American element. Moderate crime.

Good bus service for Raleigh and shopping.

Many lower priced older homes. Might be a good pick for you. No yuppies need apply.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:55 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
Two areas worth looking at in Durham are east of roxboro, north of holloway, which is north east of downtown, and south of downtown along Fayetteville St, near NC central. You can use the google maps feature on Raleigh Real Estate Cary Apex Agent Chapel Hill Coldwell Banker HPW to look at all the houses in these areas. Definitely some cool old bungalows out there for a song (30-70K), no clue of their condition but there's likely some real diamonds in the rough.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:02 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
I don't do the racial demographic thing, but here's your transit option. Here's a link to the Capitol Area Transit (CAT) bus map. Let it load, as it is a big file.

http://www.raleighnc.gov/publication...Tsystemmap.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary