Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:39 AM

142 posts, read 520,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
I am with you, jad77. I am finding it overwhelming as well and I just found out schools start in July and are year round which I think is great and registration is coming up and we aren't even moved until Apilr or May. I might fly in for 2 weeks and pick a school. YIKES.
where are you moving from? Where are you looking in NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 11:52 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Since you aren't interested in renting first, this is what I would do. Use some local RE sites to look at housing in your price range. Depending on how old/new you want your house to be a 4/5 bedroom at $250K may limit your choice of areas. Once you find home that meet your price range look at the schools that serve the neighborhood (the schools are usually listed on the listing for the house for sale). Then check out the school on greatschools.net. If you are interested in living in Wake County I suggest you visit the Wkae County School Website and read the daily news on wral.com. There is a lot of discussion about school reassignements that you will want to be aware of. Also know that there are heated deabtes over the issue so you will hear both good and bad information from all sides.

If you can provide a little more info about the type of area you are looking for you may get more detailed responses. Are you looking for suburban living? or maybe more rural? Newer or older homes? Close to shopping? If so, any particular stores ect...

FWIW, I think you can rule out Chapel Hill because of price. Clayton in Johnston County has some nice schools and affordable housing, but you will be pushing your 45 minute commute requirement. I would look to older areas of Cary (price may limit you there) and Apex, Holly Springs, and Fuquay Varina.

You may also want to explore parts of North Raleigh west of Capital Boulevard and Wake Forest - Though again you may be limited by price range and will have to check on commute times.

Durham may be a great option as well, but I don't know much about the schools there..

Good Luck!

Old 01-31-2011, 11:59 AM

142 posts, read 520,724 times
thanks North_Raleigh_Guy!

Does anyone have any experience with Johnston schools? From a parent's perspective, how do they compare to Wake County?

We actually planned a move 4 years ago, but a job transfer fell through. We spent a weekend in NC looking at areas, and liked Clayton, Fuquay Varina and North Raleigh. At that time, the realtor we spent the weekend with (she's since moved to Florida) said Johnston schools were good too. Are they still up to par with Wake? Are they better? Opinions?

Old 01-31-2011, 12:20 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
There are many (many many many) previous threads asking basically the exact same question, if you search the forum for older threads, including comparisons between Wake and Johnston counties.

BTW, not ALL schools are year-round, just some.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:23 PM

757 posts, read 2,082,197 times
For your price range, I recommend Wake Forest. Great schools, small town feel, and tons of activities for children. Wake Forest more affordable than some of the other areas in Wake County because it's a little farther from Raleigh (a 40 min drive into downtown). It would take about 45 min to get to RTP. Very family oriented town. Lots to do here. Remember that down here most people don't have basements. Instead, a lot of houses have bonus rooms above the garage that are finished. A lot of people use these as a bedroom...but you have to remember that there are rarely closets in the bonus room. The bonus rooms are usually huge. If you are okay using this room as a bedroom...then you can easily find a 3 bedroom house with a bonus room over the garage for under $250,000 in Wake Forest. The bonus rooms over the garage are usually not insulated as well as the rest of the house, so it can be a tad warmer in the summer and a tad cooler in the winter than the rest of the house.

There are a couple of houses in the Heritage subdivision (which is a huge kid friendly subdivision) in Wake Forest in your price range. The only thing is that you have to pay a lot to join the pool. Besides that, the HOA dues are about $30 a month minus the pool.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:28 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
OK. So far you have recommendations for:

Apex
Holly Springs
Fuquay Varina
Cary
N Raleigh
Clayton
Durham
Wake Forest
Chapel Hill
Mebane
Hillsboro

Throw in Raleigh proper, Garner, and Morrisville and you have the entire Triangle.

See?. . . . . . .wasn't this helpful?

Old 01-31-2011, 12:37 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Some areas are more desirable than others. School is one important reason why!

Based on your price point, I'd agree with Wake Forest. Johnston County is good if you want a bit more land. Schools in Johnston County are as good as Wake County and I wouldn't have said that 8 years ago!

I'd also want to know where you'll be working. Living in Clayton and working in Wake Forest doesn't make much sense.

It isn't as overwhelming as you may think once you figure out where you'll be working and your price point!

Vicki

Old 01-31-2011, 12:42 PM

294 posts, read 829,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
OK. So far you have recommendations for:

Apex
Holly Springs
Fuquay Varina
Cary
N Raleigh
Clayton
Durham
Wake Forest
Chapel Hill
Mebane
Hillsboro

Throw in Raleigh proper, Garner, and Morrisville and you have the entire Triangle.

See?. . . . . . .wasn't this helpful?
you're right. hopefully the OP only listens to me since I'm pretty much awesome.

seriously, you do need to visit (a few times). this place is not for everyone. if you have a strong family structure in MA, you may be homesick....me being the bastard child of my family with warrants in all Northeast states, the triangle makes perfect sense....good luck and go sawx.....

Old 01-31-2011, 12:43 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I'd also want to know where you'll be working. Living in Clayton and working in Wake Forest doesn't make much sense.

It isn't as overwhelming as you may think once you figure out where you'll be working and your price point!
RTP. But hubby will only need to go into the office 2 days a week.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:44 PM

746 posts, read 2,246,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
For your price range, I recommend Wake Forest. Great schools, small town feel, and tons of activities for children. Wake Forest more affordable than some of the other areas in Wake County because it's a little farther from Raleigh (a 40 min drive into downtown). It would take about 45 min to get to RTP. Very family oriented town. Lots to do here. Remember that down here most people don't have basements. Instead, a lot of houses have bonus rooms above the garage that are finished. A lot of people use these as a bedroom...but you have to remember that there are rarely closets in the bonus room. The bonus rooms are usually huge. If you are okay using this room as a bedroom...then you can easily find a 3 bedroom house with a bonus room over the garage for under $250,000 in Wake Forest. The bonus rooms over the garage are usually not insulated as well as the rest of the house, so it can be a tad warmer in the summer and a tad cooler in the winter than the rest of the house.

There are a couple of houses in the Heritage subdivision (which is a huge kid friendly subdivision) in Wake Forest in your price range. The only thing is that you have to pay a lot to join the pool. Besides that, the HOA dues are about $30 a month minus the pool.
40 minutes to downtown ? really? I live in Wake Forest and it takes me about 1/2 hour to get clear over to the Farmers Market on the other side of Downtown. How, exactly, do you go ? (remind me not to go that way?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary