Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:22 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

The things OP fears are more likely to be found in Atlanta, not withstanding the above wikipedia quote. The Jehovah Witnesses almost drove me insane but they are to be found everywhere.
In Atlanta, if you tell someone you are new to the area one of the first questions you will be asked is "Do you have a church home yet?"

Chapel Hill is probably the last area of the Triangle where someone is approached about religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 09:12 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I come from a very small southern town, where Church was a very big deal. Even so, I don't think most people would just randomly ask IF you go to Church or WHERE you go to Church unless the conversation headed that way.

Being that I live close to the entrance to our n'hood, I do get the guys on the bicycles, knocking on my door, on occasion. IF I answer the door, I just politely tell them that I'm not interested and then close the door. I really don't like being bothered by anyone that comes to my door, unless they are a friend or family. We have a "No Soliciting" sign at the entrance but I guess some of the more zealous people can't read?!!

Vicki

Old 01-31-2011, 09:14 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
I lived here my whole life and I've been approached about my religion several times, but never in an aggressive manner. I was handed numerous bibles at NCSU, but nothing was ever pushy. As a non-christian kid growing up in the area it wasn't overwhelming and I wasn't treated badly. I actually had a few Jewish friends and went to both the synagogue with them and church with my Christian friends.

I was at Columbus Circle in NYC last year soaking up some sun, and these two kids with guitars spoke to me about Christianity for about 15 minutes. I had nowhere to be so I listened and that was the longest anyone ever randomly spoke to me about religion.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:55 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
This map is a little dated but might give you an idea of religion in NC compared to other states. Also, look over here.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:45 AM

159 posts, read 512,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Hey look, Wikipedia says the Triangle is absent from the bible belt.
Thank you for this!

Old 02-01-2011, 05:34 AM

117 posts, read 263,607 times
Over a decade ago when I first moved to Raleigh my daughter and I took a drive north on Creedmoor Rd on a Sunday. I stopped at a gas station past N Raleigh. When I went inside to pay for the gas, the attendant asked what kind of mother was I not being in church with my daughter?

In several situations (a friend, visiting at an assisted living home, at a divorce help meeting, socially) I was told that I needed to accept Jesus or I would never be happy.

Never had this happen anywhere else. This was the main reason I never felt at home in NC.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:48 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,653,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQHP40 View Post
I am looking to relocate from NJ & I keep hearing from people that I'm going to hear a lot of declarations from people about being a Christian and inquiries about where I go to church.

I don't care so much what people practice on their own but I think an endless barage of that kind of thing would make me crazy.

Just wondering how religious it is and how in your face it is down there?
Put it this way, if you have to ask then this area is not for you.

If you are observant enough to ask this question, then yes it will bother you. It bothers me, so I understand where you're coming from. Everyone here is a "preacher" and there are churches in many strip malls.

It's very odd...

Old 02-01-2011, 05:58 AM

746 posts, read 2,246,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
Put it this way, if you have to ask then this area is not for you.

If you are observant enough to ask this question, then yes it will bother you. It bothers me, so I understand where you're coming from. Everyone here is a "preacher" and there are churches in many strip malls.

It's very odd...
this is the right answer. Wish I'd thought of it!

Old 02-01-2011, 05:59 AM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
I'm a 35 year old native. I haven't been asked about church in over 15 years. I did receive an invitation postcard from a new church that went up near my house. I don't think it's "in your face," even with churches in strip malls.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:03 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,674 times
[quote=HS_DUDE;17669781]Put it this way, if you have to ask then this area is not for you.

It's very odd...[/quote

And I completely disagree with this. I have never encountered any such thing, never had anyone ask me anything about religion. Yea, there's a lot of churches, that's about it. I think if you're looking for it you'll find it but if you just live your life it just doesn't touch you. We've been here 4 years now and had one visit from the Jehovah witnesses and that's it. And I got that up north too.

Don't worry, it's not bible belty in the least imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary