U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 08:17 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,017,681 times
Question Good fruit tree for Raleigh, 100% sun, low maint?

For any local Raleighites that have fruit trees and would like to share, what fruit/nut trees grow best in the area with 100% or 70% sun and no maintenance?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 08:34 AM

418 posts, read 735,918 times
In a former home in Morrisville, I had a peach tree I bought from walmart. I watered it deeply the first few months and in heat. After two years, it started producing tons of peaches. I put down fruit tree fertilizer spikes each spring, sprayed the tree with bug repellent (to keep all the japanese beetles/aphids off), and put a Terro ant trap near the base of the tree (kept ants from carrying aphids up the tree).

Old 02-02-2011, 08:56 AM

919 posts, read 1,024,166 times
I have a pecan tree that grows in 50% sun just fine. I get pounds and pounds of pecans every November and eat them through the holidays. I don't do anything to take care of it and it still treats me well.

The tree was in the backyard when I moved and is at least 10 years old.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:35 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,068,140 times
peach trees do great- pears might too

Old 02-02-2011, 09:50 AM

2,015 posts, read 2,003,422 times
I think figs are the most hardy to the area. NCSU had some kind of chart that showed pest/disease resistance and maintenance level of different types and cultivars of each tree. I don't have the link handy but a little googling should pull it up pretty easily. Our apples and pears always did well. You need to look for varieties that are resistant to fire blight and some other things... You might try talking to Walter at the farmers market downtown. He sells all kind of native fruit trees and he's very knowledgeable. Blueberries have also done well for us with little to no maintenance, but they are bushes...very pretty, though. You can also call your local agricultural extension agent.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:51 AM

589 posts, read 1,879,475 times
Muscadine grapes and blueberry bushes both do well here. Pecan trees do too as someone else mentioned. Apples and peaches can be grown but they aren't maintenance free.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:33 AM

151 posts, read 254,509 times
Our apple trees are doing the best. They are growing fast and producing lots of fruit (we have several varieties) Our pear trees are not doing well - two had pair blight and just aren't growing well. Our cherry trees are doing ok, except they are favorites of the japanese beetles. Our plums not so good, haven't produced any fruit yet. Persimmons are doing really great - I love these too. Oh, and we do have two figs, but they've never turned into anything except a stick in the ground, so I wouldn't recommend them.

Oh yea, our blueberries and grapes are doing well. Grapes are super fast growers from what we've seen.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:44 AM

1,527 posts, read 3,276,795 times
A second vote for figs.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:44 AM

2,275 posts, read 2,290,421 times
We've got a plum tree that produces copious amounts of the most unbelievable tasting plums in existence. We don't do a thing to it. No water, no spray, no nothing. But you best harvest before the critters do.

Our apple trees produce well also.

Blueberries seem to do well with good sun, but birds love them so you should protect them with nets.

I might check into nuts and other fruits soon, too. We have some good area to plant.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:57 AM

2,015 posts, read 2,003,422 times
forgot about the persimmons. they grow wild here. we had a wild one at our farm that produced lots of fruit and we never did a thing to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary