Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 08:28 AM

32 posts, read 39,009 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My apartment lease is ending in July so I'm looking to buy a house before that. I'm 30, single but my fiancee is coming next year so there will be a 2 of us. I'm working from home so I'm very flexible in house location. The house doesn't have to be very big (1700-2000 sq is fine). We're looking for a nice/quiet/safe place to live with a price no more than $200k.

I've been looking in houses in Raleigh area (near the cross between Tryon road and Lake Wheeler Rd) and Brier Creek area (Durham border). I'd prefer a single-family house if possible. It looks like single-family houses in Raleigh/Cary in my price range are older (early 2000's), compared to newer in Brier Creek area. I don't mind if it's not new if it's well-maintained. I'm willing to buy early if the deal is great though.

What would be your suggestions in terms of:
1. Location (what do you think of the 2 areas I mentioned above, or if you have other locations to recommend)
2. Safety (I checked crime rate map and both seems to be good locations. I know Glenwood area is nice as well but most of them are townhomes)
3. School (We're not planning to have kid so soon, but it's nice to know in case we do)

What do you think of "Brier Village" by ForeverHome? It's a new community with a mix between Single-House/TownHouse and it looks pretty nice. The address is in Durham though, but it is just 2-3 miles to Brier Creek Commons which is awesome.

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 08:39 AM

204 posts, read 289,308 times
I was looking in that complex also this morning but they have union hours, don't open till 11, wish I had those hours. They seem nice, like the 2 car garage house but need to see what's their going price.

I want a place that will keep me under $1800 a month and includes, association fees, property tax, school tax. The house itself is affordable, it's the hidden fees mentioned above that puts you in the hole if you don't account for them.

Let me know if you find anything up in Brier Creek area

Good Luck

Old 02-02-2011, 08:53 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Have you checked Keystone Crossings? It is very close to Morrisville/Cary but has a Durham address. Very pretty n'hood.

Brightleaf, in Durham, but close to Brier Creek.

Be careful if you go into the model homes. You always want to know the base price and then add about 10% to 20% in upgrades in order for the home to be the way you'll want it. You really won't be happy with just the base price home.

Onsite agents work for the builder. Take a buyer's agent. Lots of builders are sending out "incentive" emails to agents that are on their mailing list. The onsite agent does not have to offer you all the incentives.

Vicki

Old 02-02-2011, 09:43 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,188 times
What about the Bradbury Neighborhood in Durham, very close to Brier Creek. Think it’s a Centex community. I have never been in that neighborhood, but have heard of it. May be worth checking out.

Good Luck

Oh I forgot to add, I have a friend who lives in Brightleaf and LOVES it....it's minutes up 70 from Brier Creek...I've been to the neighborhood and his house is beautiful...very quiet, at least the times I've been there...

Old 02-02-2011, 09:44 AM

32 posts, read 39,009 times
Thank you guys,

Nash - I may go take a look at Brier Village soon. I'll let you know then...

Vicky - BrightLeaf is a very nice and huge community. I saw one or two houses on sale, and drove by. I have to say I'm impressed with the community. Keystone Crossing looks good as well. However, they seem to be a bit over-budget. I'll have to think about it.

nynraleigh - Thanks! I'll check it out...

So can I assume that the Location/Safety/School are all good for this area?

More suggestions are very welcome... :-)

Old 02-03-2011, 06:03 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,388 times
There is a really nice house in Stonehenge (N. Raleigh) right now. Older, but updated. Great yard, wrap around porch, nice kitchen - unheard of in this neighborhood. I'm sure it won't be long on the market. Great area.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:00 PM

6 posts, read 10,591 times
Imma_T : wondering if you ever ended up purchasing? i am in a very similar situation and am looking for a home with a lot of the same criteria you mentioned. i was looking at Brier Village but am concerned about resale being that its in Durham County (which, as far as i know, is less desirable than Wake).

Old 11-01-2011, 03:00 PM

794 posts, read 1,325,735 times
[quote=Imma_T;17688841]
What do you think of "Brier Village" by ForeverHome? It's a new community with a mix between Single-House/TownHouse and it looks pretty nice. The address is in Durham though, but it is just 2-3 miles to Brier Creek Commons which is awesome. [quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash04 View Post
I want a place that will keep me under $1800 a month and includes, association fees, property tax, school tax. The house itself is affordable, it's the hidden fees mentioned above that puts you in the hole if you don't account for them.
Wow! I feel a little deja vu...this was me 6+ months ago asking about Brier Village. In my case, nobody knew much about them but I liked the layout, features, price, etc. so much I knew it was the right fit for me.

Being new to the area, I also was a little put off by the Durham address, but now I know I had absolutely nothing to worry about. It is a great area, with (so far) a really great mix of neighbors. When I am giving people directions, and explain it is really Durham, they don't believe me. As my inspector told me "this is really more like NW Raleigh." For access and convience to everything, I don't think I could have found a better spot. I am easily 15 minutes into downtown Durham and about 20-30 into DT Raleigh (depending on traffic).

I bought one of the "manor" homes that are semi-detached and have 2 car garages. I did put 10% down, but my morgage is less than $1200/mo. (including my escrow for property taxes and Homeowners insurance. I don't have PMI). The HOA is $83/month which includes the yard maintence, trash, recycling, common areas, outside pest control. It does not include (if I remember correctly) outside maintenance on the house. If I need a new roof in 20 years, I'll be paying for it. But, I'm okay with that to keep the HOA fee reasonable. I have not had any issues with the HOA. And, so far all the neighbors are really good too. People have a little of their own personality in yard decor (school flags, seasonal items, etc.) and I haven't heard of anyone complaining to the HOA.

Also, so far I am impressed with the construction (especially compared with the first home I bought in GA). Forever Home adds a lot of the little touches you appreciate but they are standard. I believe one of the founders of the company used to be President of Pulte. My inspector thought the builder was Pulte because of some of the design/features.

My only complaint (if you want to call it that) is they will be building for another year or so...and right now, they are building right across from me. Since I work from home, I do get tired of hearing the noise, but I knew that going in so I've accepted it.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:05 PM

794 posts, read 1,325,735 times
Oh! And, not that it means anything but from what I heard from one of my neighbors one of the Miss NC (not sure if past or current) lives in the neighborhood, as does a player in the WNBA.

oh Dang....just saw the OP is several months old. oh well!

Old 11-02-2011, 06:21 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,090,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imma_T View Post
Thank you guys,

Nash - I may go take a look at Brier Village soon. I'll let you know then...

Vicky - BrightLeaf is a very nice and huge community. I saw one or two houses on sale, and drove by. I have to say I'm impressed with the community. Keystone Crossing looks good as well. However, they seem to be a bit over-budget. I'll have to think about it.

nynraleigh - Thanks! I'll check it out...

So can I assume that the Location/Safety/School are all good for this area?

More suggestions are very welcome... :-)
We have friends who live on the Durham side over there in the Brier Creek area. Very pretty homes, quiet neighborhood. The caveat--they have a child, and when it came time for school, they were lucky to get her into a charter school. They said they'd have moved if they hadn't (didn't like the Durham school there), and they will move when it comes to high school probably. Just putting it out there in case you plan to live there a long time! The subdivision is Bradbury Trace, I believe. There are homes under $200k there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary