Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 03:24 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Now that's a Sears Crescent! That's what I'm talking about. The houses should be a good match to the original catalog page.

Note the oversized front porch and cornice returns. Also see how the windows are a perfect match? The dormers are common in the Crescent, as people often added them to make more space in the attic.

The Sears Crescent was one of Sears most popular homes.

Where is that little pretty? What is the address?
2812 Everett Ave....but I think you'll be disappointed. It may not look that anymore due to heavy renovations. What a shame.

There are oodles of Sears houses on St. Mary's St. I'll get you another I know of later this evening

Old 02-03-2011, 05:09 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
I didn't see it mentioned yet so I'll put it out there. Take a look in the Cameron Park neighborhood. It was built in the first two decades of the 20th century and I think that's there has to be several examples of the Sears homes there.
Cameron Park is bounded to the South by Hillsborough St., to the West by Oberlin Rd, to the East by St. Mary's Street and to the North by Clark Ave/Peace St. (those roads run together).

Old 02-03-2011, 06:04 PM

178 posts, read 549,787 times
I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the kit home concept while looking at the pictures. When I think of kit homes...well...I haven't ever thought about kit homes, just kit cars...I don't think of the great looking houses in these pictures! This is so cool!! This thread is awesome!

Old 02-03-2011, 06:16 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times
Default thanks for the nice comments

Many people get the idea that "kit homes" are small boxy affairs, but some of them were quite grand.

And here's one of my favorites: The Sears Martha Washington.

The house below is in Bedford, Virginia (near Lynchburg).

And the Sears Maytown.

This one is near the Blue Ridge Parkway, and those are the Blue Ridge Mountains you see in the background. I love this photo, and think it's one of the prettiest photos I've ever taken. That red tin roof is awesome.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:39 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
This is such an awesome thread. Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-03-2011, 07:01 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Boy, do I need help from anyone familiar with Raleigh. I'm looking for three houses. They're all on main drags and they're all kit homes.

These are Sears Homes, sold from a kit in the early 1900s. They came in 12,000 pieces and arrived by train. Each "kit home" came with a 75-page instruction book and a promise that a "man of average abilities" could have the house assembled in 90 days. More here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/histo...-la-creme.html

I keep a ledger of all the kit homes I find, except sometimes, I forget. Sigh. And apparently I scribbled these addresses somewhere "safe" and can't find that list.

I'm headed back to Raleigh in 48 hours to photograph and document these homes, and I need to know where they are.

Please - any help would be most appreciated. I know nothing about Raleigh and whenever I go there, I get hopelessly lost. Please send me a note if you have any suggestions??? As I said, they're all on main drags.

Here are pics.

This first house, I saw when I was driving from Wake Forest Hampton Inn to Peace College. It was on the left hand side of the road. But I have no idea where. Any ideas??? I think the one I saw was either very dark colored or brick.

These next two, I have PICTURES but no addresses. Embarrassing, I know.

I'd be so grateful for any help with the addresses.

Thanks again for any and all responses. This is for the good of history! Really and truly!

And if you see a little red camry driving around this weekend staring at 1920s houses, be friendly!

In each photo below, I'm showing the original catalog picture first, and then the actual house. Please send me street names? Just PM me.

How cool!! I can't help you but I sure like that last one. I'd love to know more!

Old 02-03-2011, 07:17 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,408 times
I love them!

Old 02-03-2011, 07:32 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Fascinating subject. I watched a special one time on HGTV about the Sears kit homes. They visited several and I found it really interesting.

Happy hunting.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:37 PM

398 posts, read 1,292,057 times
Wow - I absolutely LOVE this thread! Fascinating.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:55 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
1807 St. Mary's St. According to an article several years ago(N&O) this is a Sears house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary