U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:02 AM

90 posts, read 121,864 times

Advertisements

Ok, so we've been looking at staying in Chapel Hill for part of our trip to North Carolina in the summer. My husband is now quite keen on staying in Cary, on the outskirts of the village of MacGregor. My main concern with Cary is how close it is to Raleigh, I'm not sure I want to be staying that close to the main city. I liked that Chapel Hill is a little further out.
The price for the chosen hotel in Cary is about $200 more in total, which isn't a problem but I'm wondering if Cary is worth that extra cash.
Does anyone have any feedback on the comparisons between these two places?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 08:12 AM

1,696 posts, read 3,977,084 times
just so you know, macgregor village is a neighborhood, not a real village

i would stay in chapel hill and maybe make a day trip to visit museums or see the sights in raleigh.

cary isnt exactly a destination neighborhood (no museums, relatively little to do other than shopping in a lot of chain stores )

Old 02-06-2011, 09:11 AM

121 posts, read 349,494 times
You would not regret staying in Chapel Hill in my opinion. As said before, Cary isn't really a destination area.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:53 AM

4,534 posts, read 7,291,653 times
Hmm...honestly, I'd stay in Downtown Raleigh as at least you can walk to restaurants and sites. Ours is a small city, while it's spread out, it's not very citylike. Or stay at the Embassy Suites across from Crabtree Valley Mall, again so you can walk over for meals and shopping. Why are you picking Cary, is there a strategic reason?

BTW - Cary and Raleigh border each other. And the parts you may see as you drive around Cary will be housing areas. Why don't you google earth some addresses here to get a sense of what to pick? A nice hotel downtown is the Sheraton on Fayetteville St. (raleigh 27601).

Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 AM

4,534 posts, read 7,291,653 times
PS - if your concern is safety, this is a safe area. You won't have issues downtown.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:44 AM

110 posts, read 311,161 times
MacGregor Village is a nice little plaza. It is convenient to the highway, but it is a very residential area. There is not much around there for sight seeing unless there is something specific in the area that you want to check out. I think you would enjoy staying in Chapel Hill near UNC vs a hotel in MacGregor, but it really depends what you are coming here to do/see.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:45 AM

34,516 posts, read 28,779,125 times
I'd think Chapel Hill would be more fun for sightseeing and walking to restaurants, but... if you want to stay in a place in Cary where you can walk to food and it is quite safe, you could stay at The Umstead. They've got a great spa and beautiful rooms.

Last edited by RedZin; 02-07-2011 at 12:43 PM..

Old 02-08-2011, 02:24 PM

90 posts, read 121,864 times
Thanks everyone, we have no problems being in a residential area and one of the pulls towards Cary was being able to walk to the local restaurants. We have a car booked so are happy to drive anywhere we need to.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:46 PM

2,434 posts, read 6,961,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishGirl View Post
Thanks everyone, we have no problems being in a residential area and one of the pulls towards Cary was being able to walk to the local restaurants. We have a car booked so are happy to drive anywhere we need to.
OK, but as noted above don't expect MacGregor to be a village. What's driving the interest in Cary? As also mentioned, the Umstead offers a very nice experience in Cary - if a bit pricey.

Frank

Old 02-08-2011, 07:45 PM

76 posts, read 150,672 times
Why don't you stay at one of the hotels at Southpoint in Durham? Hilton Garden Inn is there and I believe a Four Points? Southpoint in Durham is basically exactly in between Cary and Chapel Hill (10-15min from each) and you are at a shopping center. Ruth's Chris Steak House is below the Hilton Garden Inn and in walking distance from all of Renaissance Plaza and the Four Points is in walking distance from Target, Chick Fil A, etc.

Just an idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary