Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 09:57 AM

159 posts, read 512,935 times

Advertisements

I posted not long ago about local public pools or water parks but they seemed few and far between and the beach is far away.

Do many people have pools there?

What do the swimmers/beach lovers do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 10:02 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
the Parks and Rec pools are everywhere. The YMCA has pools. Lots of communities have pools.

An above ground pool isn't always allowed by the HOA. An inground pool is something you may be able to do. It is costly and when it is time to re sell, you''ll cut your buyer "pool" in half!

You can swim at Falls Lake and a few other the other lakes.

The beach is about 2 hours away. You can actually drive there early in the AM, stay all day and come home that night if you don't want to spend the night.

Vicki

Old 02-06-2011, 10:17 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Given neighborhood and community pools, and HOA restrictions, it seems few people here have private pools. In my current neighborhood none do. In my last neighborhood in Raleigh, which had about 300 homes, there were 2 - even though we didn't have a neighborhood pool there.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:52 PM

86 posts, read 277,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQHP40 View Post
I posted not long ago about local public pools or water parks but they seemed few and far between and the beach is far away.

Do many people have pools there?

What do the swimmers/beach lovers do?
Hello~~

I live in Chapel Hill--I don't know if your are asking very specifically about Raleigh.

I do have a pool in my back yard, and within in my immediate neighborhood, there are 3 other private pools. A few of my friends with children use a nearby community pool during the summer months, and they love it. They have never even mentioned what it costs, so I sensed that it was very affordable.

My sister is a lap swimmer; when she came to visit from out of town, we found that several of the area health clubs were offering day use passes for a very reasonable $10 charge.

Lana

Old 02-06-2011, 01:02 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
I have a pool at my current home. I'm definitely interested in moving to a neighborhood that has a pool, because we do enjoy swimming and socializing. I'm definitely NOT interested in having a pool of my own again unless it comes with a husband who enjoys working around the house. It really isn't a lot of extra work, but I'd rather vacuum the pool than do the dishes any day so my priorities are more challenged in the summer. And it is an added household expense that IMHO is equal to the cost of a swim club membership.

There have been days when we could have been swimming but didn't because there was 'no one to swim with'. So over all, I think the community part of a neighborhood pool, public park pool or lake, or swim club you have to join, would be worth more.

Rental listings with pools are hard to search for...the neighborhood pool doesn't always show up in a search. I tend to use the satellite feature on the map to check for a pool, which seems creepy and voyeuristic (as If I would be seeing my actual potential neighbors frolicking in the pool!)

I don't know if you would have to do the same with sales listings...but of course your realtor can help you zero in on neighborhoods with pools.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:34 PM

477 posts, read 1,418,578 times
Competitive swimming is very big in the Raleigh area. Raleigh has no less than 4 major year round swim teams (Wave, RSA, MOR, and YOTA) and an active Masters program.

The City of Raleigh has 3 year-round pools (Pullen, Optimist and Millbrook) and several other seasonal pools. The Official City of Raleigh Portal - Aquatic Programs and Facilities Information

One of the premiere competition pools in the southeast (TAC) is in Cary right beside the mall. Triangle Aquatic Center (TAC): Public aquatic facilities in Wake County
Check out some of the competitions there sometime. They will be host to the SE Sectionals in March and a few Olympic swimmers will be competing.

TSA (Tarheel Swim Association) is the summer swim league that over 75 private swim clubs and neighborhood pools belong to. Check out their website and you can see which pools in the Raleigh area belong to TSA and sponsor a summer swim team, and find maps and contact information for each individual pool.
Tarheel Swimming Association

The list of pools on the TSA website would be a good place to start if you are just looking for a pool to enjoy in the summer, and not necessarily interested in competition.

I don't think that you will have any trouble finding a pool to enjoy in the Raleigh area without having one in your backyard!

Old 02-06-2011, 05:06 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Almost all apartment communities include a pool in your rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary