U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 09:59 AM

142 posts, read 459,017 times

Advertisements

hi - looking at the Wake Forest area and noticed some homes have schools assigned to them that are in Franklin County. This might be a bit naive, but why are there some assignments in a different county? Does anyone have any info/thoughts on these Franklin schools?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 10:39 AM

33,055 posts, read 26,861,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad77 View Post
hi - looking at the Wake Forest area and noticed some homes have schools assigned to them that are in Franklin County. This might be a bit naive, but why are there some assignments in a different county? Does anyone have any info/thoughts on these Franklin schools?

The places you're looking in are also not in Wake County. Even if it says "Wake Forest", it's still not in Wake County. There might be some Granville County houses that are listed Wake Forest as well.

Franklin schools are not as good as those in Wake. I know, I taught in a couple of them.

I hope nobody down in Bunn bashes me, but it's true.

As a kid, I lived in Wake Co, and for a brief time, in Franklin Co.. then we moved back to Wake.

I was about a year ahead of the kids in Franklin Co. It was boring.

Now, mind you, things are more evened out with the EOGs being basically taught to the kids instead of an interesting, thought-provoking curriculum... but... yeah... Wake Schools are better.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:43 AM

4,529 posts, read 7,034,062 times
Yes, as mentioned, some homes in WF are in Granville, and this means Creedmoor schools. I was looking at a Northern WF neighborhood and so did some research on this and was told that the k-8 schools are good, hs's not as good as wake - for what it's worth.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:48 AM

142 posts, read 459,017 times
thanks for the info...very helpful!

Old 02-09-2011, 05:30 PM

59 posts, read 119,055 times
Wow, I actually thought that all of Wake Forest was Wake county.

If you are looking into the schools, please be aware that most are year round (I was shocked when I found that one out, But it is growing on me)

Old 02-09-2011, 10:42 PM

569 posts, read 1,729,795 times
Just shows that I am not a very informed citizen. I have lived in Wake Forest for almost 20 years and didn't know that a small part of the town was in Franklin County. While the Town of Wake Forest does say that a small portion is in Franklin County, I couldn't find any evidence on the internet that any of the actual town limits are inside Granville County.

In looking it up, I found this interesting post from NRG just before I joined City-Data that says the Wake-Franklin county line was changed in 2008 and some people that thought they were in one county actually ended up in the other.
Interesting story about moving the Wake / Franklin County Line

Old 02-11-2011, 04:48 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,566,856 times
Withe some areas the border Wake Forest, it's no that a portion of the town is with Wake Forest. It's that they are so small that they don't have a post office (or sometimes even names) of their own. Though they are in Granville or Franklin County, they are serviced by a Wake Forest post office, and thus have a Wake Forest address.

I think the most unusual case I've seen is an area at the Greene/Wayne County border, that has a Lenoir County (LaGrange) address. Speaking of LaGrange depending on where you live you might go to school in any 3 of those counties and 4 different high schools though there's almost nothing there, just a spread out zip code.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:10 AM

9 posts, read 9,496 times
Having been a student of both Franklin/Wake County schools, be sure you buy on the Wake County side of Wake Forest.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:38 AM

62 posts, read 94,399 times
Same with Chapel Hill zip code in Chatham County (areas served by Chapel Hill post office). They attend Chatham schools instead.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:25 AM

2,477 posts, read 1,294,609 times
I have a coworker who is on the Franklin side of the line and is moving to be on the Wake County side before his kids enter school. His wife is a teacher and is changing school districts too. To me that speaks volumes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary