Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 12:32 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,180,822 times

Advertisements

Anybody have any experience/knowledge? I KNOW it's ridiculously early, and we JUST finished up the holidays...but looking at the application process, it seems like you have to start applying in June/July. I am a member of a non-profit, and since we have never done the parade, we are going to need nearly a year to get ourselves together.

My question is this: it looks expensive (more than $1,000 for a float). Does this INCLUDE the float? If not where do you get it from? Do you have to make it yourself, or are there float companies that do this? If so, how much do they charge?

It looks EXPENSIVE, but I've seen tiny non-profits and small home daycares enter floats.

If we don't enter a float, are you allowed to enter a walking group/convertible? We don't really entertain, so would we be chosen? I remember in the Durham Christmas parade, we'd get a dealership to let us borrow a truck, and put the youth group kids on the back. They didn't do anything, weren't entertaining, but we had a good time.

Is the competition usually pretty stiff for getting a slot in the parade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 02:27 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
I haven't been involved with the Raleigh Parade, but helped organize a Christmas parade in another NC town. In our parade, organizations could provide their own float/car/etc., or they could pay to use one of the professional floats available (we contracted with a float company, and they provided something like 15-20 professional floats). I would imagine that is what the $1000 is for in this case.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
The answer is in bold.
Quote:
Professional Float

Description: GRMA provides rental floats for all float entries. A float meeting will be held where your company may select which float they would like to use. Entry may have riders on the float representing your company or organization.
*All pageant participants are required to have a float as their method of entry.

Cost: For-Profit Entries: $1350
GRMA members: $1150
Non-Profit Entries: $1150
**If a non-profit is sponsored by For-Profit company $1350 / $1150 if that company is a GRMA members
http://grma.org/christmas-parade/parade_fees.html

Old 01-26-2014, 03:06 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Wow. Just wow.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
OP the rate is about the average for a city Raleigh size, I remember researching on Charlotte a couple years ago and it was about the same.

The Rose Parade is $5,000 and Macy's is $100,000. Its a money maker plus whoever pays for their back door advertising of riding in a parade. I guess this also pays for warehouse wherever Raleigh stores the floats at.

I would assume beside a reason to make money is they can also control maintenance of the float and guarantee it arriving safely. A parade would stink if a float fell apart or cause traffic tie ups because of floats all decked out hitting the city from all directions.

The link above may answer your other questions.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:14 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
I would look at local town parades, Much more afforable. Cary's parade fee is $15 for non-commercial entries.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:58 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,180,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
OP the rate is about the average for a city Raleigh size, I remember researching on Charlotte a couple years ago and it was about the same.

The Rose Parade is $5,000 and Macy's is $100,000. Its a money maker plus whoever pays for their back door advertising of riding in a parade. I guess this also pays for warehouse wherever Raleigh stores the floats at.

I would assume beside a reason to make money is they can also control maintenance of the float and guarantee it arriving safely. A parade would stink if a float fell apart or cause traffic tie ups because of floats all decked out hitting the city from all directions.

The link above may answer your other questions.
Thanks. I went to the website, but I overlooked this information. Someone told me you had to build your own float; that sounded like a nightmare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I would look at local town parades, Much more afforable. Cary's parade fee is $15 for non-commercial entries.
That is an EXCELLENT price! How large is the parade? Does that include float?

Old 01-26-2014, 07:14 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
No, you have to use your own as far as I know. I've only ever participated as a non-commerical entry and we made our own own float out of a trailer, but it was nothing fancy. I don't know exactly how large it is. Smaller than Raleigh's, that's for sure. Mostly local businesses and non-profits participate, probably around 100-150 entries including bands/dancers/walkers/convertibles/cars etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary