Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:40 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times

Advertisements

yes...that was my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 08:58 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
Race had NOTHING to do with the outcome of the situation. The end would have been the same white, black, or polka dot. The actions of the man determined his fate...not the color of his skin. If the national media is chalking this up to a race issue I believe that is extremely nearsighted and merely something to boost ratings.
Totally agree with you. I haven't heard anyone bring up the race issue, until now. Irrelevant.

Vicki

Old 02-13-2011, 09:21 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I gotta tell you folks; the national media is having a field day with this. First the school board and now this; brace yourselves for being labeled one of the most racist county's in America (which obviously isn't true, but that doesn't really matter anymore).
I just saw a report on my local (outside of NC) news -- race wasn't mentioned at all. There was simply a brief description of the events, and a clip of the Police Chief(?) saying that the young man was "troubled."

Old 02-13-2011, 09:48 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
yep...jumped the gun on that one. This is what I get for listening to my college student son who apparently thinks the comment boards on news websites are part of the coverage itself

on a side note; for anything people say on these boards that may seem wacky and incredibly offensive/ignorant. Holly cow is it civil here compared to newspaper discussion boards!

Old 02-13-2011, 10:19 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
I read the wral.com blurb earlier tonight. If the police department gets hit with a lawsuit or some such, that'll be a terrible shame.

The young man showed up pretending to have a gun. He never asked for money, just for the bank tellers to call the police. A standoff ensued, and he ultimately came out holding something to the head of an innocent bystander. The teller.

What were the cops supposed to do? He forced them to put him completely out of commission in order to save the hostage. He wanted them to shoot him.

This story isn't even sort of confusing.

The only real question in this tragedy is: why did he do it?

I know why the cops shot him. Anyone with any sense can see that.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:50 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times
Yes, the comments were quite disgusting and racist. Sometimes the comments themselves do morph into the news story. Someone left a comment that he was trying to leave a gang. I have not read any other comment or news coverage reiterating that.

Bottom line: If if you claim to have a gun and you hold it to someone's head the police will shoot you.

End. of. story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
yep...jumped the gun on that one. This is what I get for listening to my college student son who apparently thinks the comment boards on news websites are part of the coverage itself

on a side note; for anything people say on these boards that may seem wacky and incredibly offensive/ignorant. Holly cow is it civil here compared to newspaper discussion boards!

Old 02-14-2011, 07:22 AM

564 posts, read 872,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
So the residents in the cary park area are scared of the violent crime that has occured there 3 times in the last year?

What about your CEO neighbor that just decided to embezzel millions of dollars from his friends that entrusted him with their money for an investment? What about the other neighbor that helped decide to close a plant that put hundreds if not thousands of people out of work?

You say you don't want "those people" in your neighborhood...but guess what....NOT ALL CRIME IS STREET CRIME. I GUARENTEE you that more lives have been ruined by the big wigs in the million dollar houses that you call neighbors than the "thugs" living in the low income apartment complex.

Talk about turning a blind eye to the world.....wake up people.
Closing a plant is a crime? Taking that a bit far aren't you? In my career, I have led the acquisition of two companies and was a key driver in closing down associated offices/facilities for both. In total, about 500 of the 1000 employees lost their jobs. While on the surface, most would think that it was a very bad outcome. The reality is that both companies were heading towards bankruptcy and all 1000 were on the verge of being unemployed. We were able to salvage parts of the business that made sense and many were able to keep jobs. Sorry to go a bit off topic, but comments like this rolled into tragic event just set me off at times.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:20 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,447 times
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess he had mental issues because of drug use. And I don't think it is unique to someone from section 8, or a lower income living. From my experience, white middle class kids and kids of affluence are also really abusing drugs. Especially prescription drugs. I guarantee it's all around Cary, its all over where I live now.....we had a guy this weekend from Brooklyn, high on drugs killed 4 people running though Brooklyn and Manhattan. I believe he is white, Russian. I know 3 kids personally that died from drug use in 2010, ages 20, 19, 18. Two killed themselves driving and drove into a pole, the other jumped in front of a train decapitating himself...all 3 had prescription drug issues. And weed? Wealthy kids use that as much as poor ones.....

I believe it was suicide by cop.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:02 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess he had mental issues because of drug use. And I don't think it is unique to someone from section 8, or a lower income living. From my experience, white middle class kids and kids of affluence are also really abusing drugs. Especially prescription drugs. I guarantee it's all around Cary, its all over where I live now.....we had a guy this weekend from Brooklyn, high on drugs killed 4 people running though Brooklyn and Manhattan. I believe he is white, Russian. I know 3 kids personally that died from drug use in 2010, ages 20, 19, 18. Two killed themselves driving and drove into a pole, the other jumped in front of a train decapitating himself...all 3 had prescription drug issues. And weed? Wealthy kids use that as much as poor ones.....

I believe it was suicide by cop.

I think wealthy kids (and adults) are far more likely to have prescription and more expensive illegal drug issues.

The less money one has access to, the more likely one will become hooked on cheaper drugs.

In the end, they're all addictions that either spring from major mental health issues that spawned them, or a gateway to forming major mental issues where perhaps only minor struggles existed before the drugs.

Sad situation, all around.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:20 AM

310 posts, read 575,363 times
Geez. There are way too many mental issues that have nothing to do with drug abuse. Assuming that someone who does something this crazy is hooked on drugs is going way, way, way out on a limb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary