Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:14 AM

249 posts, read 691,772 times

Advertisements

I doubt you will find any spot that "allows" unleashed pets. But from my experience, Durant Nature Park is a great place to go for a hike and "illegally" let your dogs off the leash. Its usually pretty empty and you don't run into too many other people. I also highly recommend Hemlock Bluffs off of Holly Springs Road. Its a tiny little parking area and very few people seem to know about it. Since there is really only one way into the trails(technically people living in the adjoining neighborhood could walk in), you always know how many other people are there. If the parking lot is empty, I always take the leashes off my dogs. All you boohooers be damned!!

P.S.- Hemlock Bluffs can get quite muddy if it has rained recently so that is one downside. Otherwise, its a great little area to let the dogs run and they can even play in the stream that runs by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 08:15 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Holy moly, after I posted to this thread this morning I went to drive by a rental house in North Durham and took my dog to West Point on the Eno for the first time. Seemed like a GREAT place to walk the dog with all of the old buildings there. But - unleashed beagle and husky and owners who didn't give a ... hoot...ruined. Still shaking. Glad the husky backed off when my dog growled at her/him for trying to dominate. That's three unleashed dogs running up to my leashed dog in the past two weeks, sigh.

Anyway...West Point has lovely old buildings and is a nice dog walk. But if you see a family with a husky, a beagle, and ropes for leashes, they will not call their dogs away from yours.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanvald View Post
I doubt you will find any spot that "allows" unleashed pets. But from my experience, Durant Nature Park is a great place to go for a hike and "illegally" let your dogs off the leash.

Fair warning that if your illegally unleashed dog runs up to my legally leashed dog and messes with her, you are responsible for any and all vet/medical bills that result from a dog fight and my having to break it up.

Just use the leash. It's completely irresponsible of you to do this.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanvald View Post
If the parking lot is empty, I always take the leashes off my dogs. All you boohooers be damned!!
What if it doesn't STAY empty? How is someone supposed to know your dogs are off leash somewhere up ahead? My dog has to deal with your dog potentially jumping all over her?

What if my leashed dog bites?

Get a freaking fenced yard.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:08 PM

725 posts, read 1,499,926 times
Bass Lake is good for hikes as well - soft trail and easy on the paws.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:21 PM

109 posts, read 343,007 times
Might be further than you want to go, but you should try out Lake Jordan some day. Several good places there too.

The Eno is a winderful place to go! Only have been there a few times since it is so far from us. Sorry to hear about your bad experience there NorasMom.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:24 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,719,746 times
several of my friends love Falls Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary