U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:38 AM

841 posts, read 1,053,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
So why not just boot people outta Section 8 if they're convicted of a crime? That seems simpler than tossing out everyone.

You already do lose your section 8 voucher if convicted of a felony. If your spouse gets a felony, they have to leave. Anyone living in the house besides kids have to be on the lease. They cant have any felonys and they check every year. There are also strict rules on the landlords to keep a properly maintaned units.

I guess I missed where it said all the criminals in that area are in sec 8 housing.
I think its safer to go to that area than it is to be a housewife in Cary...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 12:13 PM

928 posts, read 1,388,843 times
Umm... curious... all the data I see says that Cary has fairly low crime? is that not true? what side of the city is less safe vs the other?

Old 02-21-2011, 12:31 PM

14,565 posts, read 9,774,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
You already do lose your section 8 voucher if convicted of a felony. If your spouse gets a felony, they have to leave. Anyone living in the house besides kids have to be on the lease. They cant have any felonys and they check every year. There are also strict rules on the landlords to keep a properly maintaned units.

I guess I missed where it said all the criminals in that area are in sec 8 housing.
I think its safer to go to that area than it is to be a housewife in Cary...

Ahh... well in that case, put EVERYONE on the lease. Not for financial purposes, but for legal ones. If anyone in that house gets convicted of a felony? The whole family loses the voucher.

I think that's reasonable enough.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Umm... curious... all the data I see says that Cary has fairly low crime? is that not true? what side of the city is less safe vs the other?

Cary is techincally a "town." There's not one side that's really that much safer than others. There seem to be small pockets of "less safe," but really? There's just not much crime here.

Everyone that has moved here for the lure of West Cary seems to think it should have a gate around it or something. I disagree.

If you wanted gated, get rich.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:39 PM

234 posts, read 361,445 times
meh_whatever is right - I live in West Cary and I'm as guilty as the next person of being lured into the thought that our little sleepy corner of Wake was immune to crime. Who would notice us over here, right? So, a few things happen here (granted they are big things!) and we get upset. You mean we're not immune?! The police chief herself said that NW Cary crime rates are really no different than other areas, but as long as we, the residents, perceive that we or our property are in danger, then that's a problem.

I feel bad for the Grove folks who thought they had moved away from it all (just like the rest of us in NW Cary), only to feel the let down of same old, same old.

Even with what has happened, I'm still love my neighborhood, this part of Wake County, and wouldn't trade.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:45 PM

NoneOfThis? It's alright... I tend to think that my little area of Cary is fairly immune as well. I think we all tend to do this with our neighborhoods. If we didn't think they'd be safe for ourselves and our families, we wouldn't buy in them, yanno?

Old 02-21-2011, 12:46 PM

23,904 posts, read 20,002,395 times
I remember conversations about the pathways in Cary and crime. Any connection with current discussion?

Old 02-21-2011, 12:57 PM

234 posts, read 361,445 times
What? Shocked by my rose-colored glasses approach to NW Cary (don't worry, I'm actually very cynical by nature) or my rather negative sounding username? I think I was a little on the frustrated side the day I joined CD.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:26 PM

928 posts, read 1,388,843 times
And I typed town too, but erased it and said city instead... Oops ... Really sorry

Old 02-21-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoneOfThis View Post
What? Shocked by my rose-colored glasses approach to NW Cary (don't worry, I'm actually very cynical by nature) or my rather negative sounding username? I think I was a little on the frustrated side the day I joined CD.
And my username is cheerful?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary