Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:54 PM

241 posts, read 934,996 times

Advertisements

I've been reading the hundreds of posts and comments on the pros and cons of all the builders and new homes popping up everywhere. It's overwhelming yet insightful.

I'm curious... if you have purchased, or are looking, at a home right now... in your personal opinion, what communities are in your top 3?

*Did you take a real estate agent with you?
*Just as one would "kick the tires" of a new car, what were your rituals when walking through a house?
*What were the 3 biggest factors in your decision? A large lot, better schools, easier commute to RTP, energy efficient?

There's a lot to be said with "going with your gut", but I would like to get as much research and information together as possible before I let my heart go pitter-pat over a walk-in pantry and the perfect bathtub! I've read a few posts about buyers remorse and I'm trying very hard to avoid that, and possibly help others avoid that, too.

I may put together a spreadsheet with a list of all the communities we visit and post it with as much info as I can gather because, I think it could be really helpful for everyone out there! I'm coming out in 10 days, I'm going to write down, scan and take pictures of everything I see! (Because I obsess like that).

Thanks again everyone for your input, it's been SO helpful!

UPDATE

I've started a spreadsheet... it's FAR from complete, but it's a start...I'm starting with KB, then Centex... after I get back from my trip, I'll do a blog about each Not that I know what I'm doing, but I hope I'll be an expert in a few weeks

Link to the Spreadsheet

Last edited by Petunia16; 07-09-2007 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: Adding info...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 07:28 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
Most definitely take a realtor with you. Agents that are onsite for the builder DO NOT have your interests at heart. Your agents commission is already built into the cost of the house so you might as well use one.
As a home inspector, I will tell you Centex is the best large tract builder around by far. There service after the fact is 2nd to none. This is a ringing endorsement from someone they would consider their enemy no less lol. (my job is to pick their work apart)
The factors I personally looked for when choosing my next house(which I am currently having built) was woods in the backyard, close to good schools, and relatively close to the main highways. I also wanted, of course, a neighborhood that has a good chance of appreciating in value.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:32 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,072 times
Don't forget we also have many local builders that build exceptional houses.
That are from NC and know NC houses, and don't just do mass production.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:56 PM

19 posts, read 60,299 times
Petunia
I would love to see the completed spreadsheet...I appreciate information and as much details. I've started my own spreadsheet but since I'm no where close to purchasing yet, yours will be most helpful. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia16 View Post
I've been reading the hundreds of posts and comments on the pros and cons of all the builders and new homes popping up everywhere. It's overwhelming yet insightful.

I'm curious... if you have purchased, or are looking, at a home right now... in your personal opinion, what communities are in your top 3?

*Did you take a real estate agent with you?
*Just as one would "kick the tires" of a new car, what were your rituals when walking through a house?
*What were the 3 biggest factors in your decision? A large lot, better schools, easier commute to RTP, energy efficient?

There's a lot to be said with "going with your gut", but I would like to get as much research and information together as possible before I let my heart go pitter-pat over a walk-in pantry and the perfect bathtub! I've read a few posts about buyers remorse and I'm trying very hard to avoid that, and possibly help others avoid that, too.

I may put together a spreadsheet with a list of all the communities we visit and post it with as much info as I can gather because, I think it could be really helpful for everyone out there! I'm coming out in 10 days, I'm going to write down, scan and take pictures of everything I see! (Because I obsess like that).

Thanks again everyone for your input, it's been SO helpful!

Old 07-09-2007, 08:15 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,517 times
Yeah, I did alot of research online. I went looking at communities feeling like I knew what I was doing, what to expect, etc. I fell in love with a couple of communities online, but when I actually viewed the property, it was completely different.

I ended up purchasing my home through Anderson homes and I absolutely love it!!! I think its best to go in fully informed, get a list of questions ready and do your homework. You will know your future home when you see it.

Good luck!!!!

Old 07-09-2007, 08:19 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Geeez Sacred Grooves you describe the house I am having built off Cleveland Road in Hunters Mills. Makes me feel good.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:29 PM

241 posts, read 934,996 times
Thanks for the info sacredgrooves! Very helpful Centex just got another point in my book

Old 07-09-2007, 09:58 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
My pleasure. I will gladly pass on praise to tract builders that perform above and beyond. Centex isnt the only worthy one of course, but they consistently impress me in comparison to most.
With that said, custom builders will tend to trump tract builders in quality. The one drawback is, centex or the equivalent is a safe bet to be in business 10 years from now when your structural warranty expires, while John Doe Custom Homes may not be.
If I was building in the 400k and up range, I would probably go with a custom builder...or just do it myself

Old 07-10-2007, 08:06 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
My pleasure. I will gladly pass on praise to tract builders that perform above and beyond. Centex isnt the only worthy one of course, but they consistently impress me in comparison to most.
With that said, custom builders will tend to trump tract builders in quality. The one drawback is, centex or the equivalent is a safe bet to be in business 10 years from now when your structural warranty expires, while John Doe Custom Homes may not be.
If I was building in the 400k and up range, I would probably go with a custom builder...or just do it myself
Yes, always do your thorough research on the builders custom or not. You will find many custom builders who have been building "forever" here. The builders who are custom and coming in to get in on the "hot" market and make some fast cash, well you can see them a mile away after you do your research.

I always found custom homes do for sure have the quality and I query how all
these national builder homes will do on resale in 10 years. Guess we will see,

Old 07-17-2007, 07:23 PM

40 posts, read 133,926 times
Default Don't overlook & miss out on the well crafted custom homes of Raleigh

It is overwhelming.... and NC offers too many nicely crafted homes to limit yourself to shopping the large tract builders. Names like Centex, Standard Pacific and Toll Brothers all build nice homes.

Having lived and owned in California before moving to Raleigh those were the well known reputable builders I relied on and still do.

But...here in NC, the quality of construction is in direct relationship to the pride in craftsmenship of the smaller independent builder who purchases 10-15 lots in a larger well marketed subdisivion and builds custom spec homes with personal signatures and branding often not found in the mass produced home developments. There is much to be admired and said for the well crafted homes ranging in price from $250k-$600k found in the Raleigh area. Hope that helps-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary